List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jun 13, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #106 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
price is a poor indication of quality; I propose we change the title to 'List of expensive digital source owers on Head-fi" to better reflect the general reality of this thread.

Absolutely agreed.

Jun 13, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #107 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
price is a poor indication of quality; I propose we change the title to 'List of expensive digital source owers on Head-fi" to better reflect the general reality of this thread.

I think at least 8 out of 10 audiophiles would tell you the PS1 is not high-end though, regardless of how it actually sounds.
wink.gif

Also, manufacturers set the SRP. I'm pretty sure they have a target price point in mind when designing & building a product, so by your implication are you saying some "high-end" manufacturers produce low-quality equipment?

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #108 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL at purk's list. That is hilarious.
tongue.gif

I'm double-envious, once for his sources and a second time for his wife who allows him this much craziness.
redface.gif

Are some of the people on the list members of Team Source First?

This list could also be called Team Crying Over Our Empty Wallets.

Elephas,

Yes I do feel like a crazy person.
frown.gif
Regretably, my wife has been great and I think it is about time for me to thin the herd a bit and start saving up again. I like comparing soures and I would just buy one just to make comparison. My favorite so far has been the Cary 306SACD and the Modwright/Kern Sony SCD-777ES. The Sony is remarkable and offer more enjoyable sound than the Cary 306 SACD. It seems to compliment my R10 a little bit better than the Cary after I drop a GE7044s in as a new output tubes.

Purk

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #109 of 281
Modded RWA Olive->Northstar M192 Dac

Jun 13, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #113 of 281
For all of the indignation that some here have expressed, that is to say, the nostril flaring lip snearing "price isn't sound" posts with not one iota of charm or conversational tone to them, and for the fact that I find myself excluded from this list (Squeezebox anyone?
biggrin.gif
) and the fact that it makes for an interesting insight into what people have and where they have it and such and so on...

I'd actually like to see this list notch back up to the more exclusive level. $2000 (£1000) is Quad CDP-2 level, or, quite close, Cambridge 840C level. And while the both of those are very worthy players, I think that the contents of this listing should reflect that extra step into the next echelon.

Failing the (re)reclassification of the grading scheme, it would be nice to see the approximate pricing level of each item in the list next to its entry. For the purposes of quick reference comparison for those of us ((many of us (all of us?)) who are not familiar, by name or reputation with items that are in the list and may wish to take the time to look at those with the most zeros after the £/$/€, Google it up and drool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #114 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lovely sounding too.

I hope to hear one one day. Nagra also has a headphone amp I believe or a preamp with a headphone jack. Also a phono pre I want to hear.

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #118 of 281
Its funny how when you go above 2-3k+ for source, there doesn't seem to be a FoTM. Its a pretty big random list of many high end sources all spread out with different owners. Either that or when you start getting into the high end source their sound begins to differ so theres like a brand sound for everyone
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #119 of 281
My RAM modified Shanling SCD-300 sacd player was 3950.00 total.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #120 of 281
For the list on the first post, the Ontech Monster DAC has a retail price of $4640.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back