List of High-End Digital Source Owners on Head-Fi Continued
Oct 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #241 of 284
Hi Akabeth,

I've been using a Metric Halo ULN-8 (~$6k) for the past several years.
It serves as my DAC as well as my mic preamps and ADC for recording sessions.

Having been fortunate to hear a lot of converters over the years, the ULN-8, particularly when used at 192k easily represents (to my ears) the very best I've heard, by a good country mile.  For the first time in my experience, I feel like I'm hearing my mic feeds directly and not the result of an A-D and D-A process.

In fact, a while back, prior to its commercial release earlier this year, members of the beta team got to compare three top notch recordings (one pop, one jazz and one a Keith Johnson classical recording) encoded from the original masters, using more than a dozen "contenders", including devices from Pacific Microsonics, Meitner, Cranesong, HEDD, Mytek, Prism, Lynx, Benchmark and several others.  No one knew which was which.  We all just received a large group of files, with the three recordings made by each converter (each set simply numbered "Set 1", "Set 2", etc.).  Folks could listen on any system they liked, at their own pace.  It was only after the responses came in that which converter was used for each of the file sets was revealed.

What was unusual in my experience was the degree of consensus among so many listeners, many of whom are professional engineers but a number of amateurs were also included.  The overwhelming majority picked the same set I did.  This was the set created by the ULN-8.

By the way, there is now a version without the mic preamps that sells for ~$4k, called the LIO-8.

Best regards,
Barry
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #242 of 284
I imagine the cranesong was pretty close to the top also? 

just wondering if I can qualify, since I decided to sidestep this a bit and build a transport/DAC/voltage follower without putting limits on my time or budget. including all the permutations I will have spent roughly 6.5K, but the finished device will figure about 4K. (more if you include the whole chain from AES output card/async USB through to the follower and DCB1 buffers). I will wait till I have the finished pics before I post, but I think it should qualify; or is it more about the brand?

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #243 of 284
Hi qusp,

Actually, while most of the contenders were very nice, the territory opened by the ULN-8 was such that its nearest competitor (for my ears, the Pacific Microsonics) was a quite distant second.  To the extent that I'd call it another class.

Just my perspective, of course.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I imagine the cranesong was pretty close to the top also?...

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #245 of 284

Quote:
Mark Levinson NO.37 CD Transport modifed by Empirical Audio and NO.360s DAC =$12995.00.

Logitech Transporter with Duet controller =  $2250.00.

That gear sucks and you should not be forced to listen to it.
wink.gif
 Instead you should give it to me and you buy better stuff! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #248 of 284

Quote:
That gear sucks and you should not be forced to listen to it.
wink.gif
 Instead you should give it to me and you buy better stuff! 
biggrin.gif

Miguel I think you are right it does suck; as a matter of fact I will make a better deal with you. Provide a brand new MBL 1621 as trade and I will deliver the Mark Levinson 360s to your door step!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back