List of High-End Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jun 11, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #31 of 118
I guess I should list the cartridges too then, right?

Maybe someone else should maintain this list....
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #34 of 118
Yeah, analogue (TT) sources consist of more parts than a digital source, so it isn't as straight-forward.

Rega P3-24
Rega RB301
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Conrad-Johnson EF-1

The TT itself may/not make the cut, but the phono-stage ran $2k new, so I'll leave it to you to figure whether it goes on the master list or not!

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #37 of 118
Asr: I think you are doing a fine job and starting this thread will be beneficial over time, if it hasn't already been beneficial. It is at least very interesting and helps bring like minds together.

I don't think it is out of the question to consider a complete system as the cart arm and table and that combo should be in the 2k range to be considered high end. Some will balk and claim it needs to be much higher but for most I think they will agree that a well setup 2k system will lay to waste most cd players in that range if not double to triple that price depending on the media used. Including the phono stage in my opinion shouldn't be considered because many preamps come with phono stages and it will complicate matters.

As for the other analog front-ends, reel to reel, cassette etc, I would love to read about them, particularly cassette decks. I have a bunch of old tapes that I would love to digitize and even keep in their current format to have a listen. I know the Nakamichi line is often said to be the best and Dragon's as one of the better models...but having folks chime in who own them, compared them with their other great gear...it's fun reading and very informative for a beginner like me.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #38 of 118
Linn LP12

Linn Ittok arm

Linn Asaka

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #39 of 118
Thorens 166 mkii, Linn Akito Arm, Benz Micro M2 Cartridge, Lehmann Black Cube Phono Stage with outboard power supply, this is over $2500, but the TT alone is not so I am not sure how this counts. Got a replacement platter from Thorens too, fantastic.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #40 of 118
SOTA Comet (piano finish and several modifications) with a Sumiko LMTII tonearm (jelco based) with a Sumiko Blue Point.

But as said earlier I prefer some of my other tables over this and they were much cheaper. I would really love to see a list of Head-fier vinyl setups regardless of price. A big thank you to Asr for coming up with this and the digital thread as it really is a great idea and resource.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #41 of 118
i've got a Sony PS-X800--costing about $1000 in 1980. considered by many to be the best consumer tt sony ever made and in Japan it received accolades from many audiophile mags. i'd say it's easily as good if not better than my scout.

Denon DL-110
Monolithic PS-1 and HC-1b

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #42 of 118
Pro-Ject RPM 9.1 Turntable
Pro-Ject 9CC Evolution Tonearm + Ortofon Kontrapunkt A
Jelco SA-750D Tonearom [brass pod] + Shure V15VxMR
Trafomatic Audio Phono One

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #43 of 118
Asr, here is my contribution to your list.

2576718835_6e6d928f37.jpg

SOTA Star TT (vacuum platter): >$1K
Eminent Technology Tonearm (air bearing): >$1K
Kiseki Agate Ruby cartridge: >>$1K

To echo Tom, imo the cart is really the source. The TT and arm ensure that the cart is working to its full potential.

I also have a Magnum Dynalab tuner.

Jun 16, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #45 of 118
VPI Scout
JMW 9 tonearm
Dynavector 17D3 cartridge
Rogue Audio Stealth Phono Preamp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back