List of High-End Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jun 10, 2008 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
7/27/08 update: not maintaining the list anymore

To mirror the thread on digital source owners, a list of the high-end analog source owners on Head-Fi!

All items on this list are analog source components only (turntables, tape, radio, et al) and carry a retail price of $1K minimum (or did when in production), without any accessories (arms, cartridges, etc).

To be added to this list, just leave a post mentioning your source (no PMs please).

Accuphase T-100, T-101, & T-108 (tuners) - Ross
Acoustic Signature Final Tool - immtbiker
Alphason Sonata - 6RS
Avid Acutus - howiebrou
EMT 950 - 19lexicon78
Goldring-Lenco GL-75 - memepool
Immedia RPM II - ronfint
JA Michell Gyrodec - gyrodec
JA Michell Gyrodec Orbe - Zanth
JA Michell Gyro SE - bowling-name
JA Michell Orbe SE - Uncle Erik
JVC QLY-5F - 883dave
Kuzma Stabi S - Afrikane
Linn LP12 (9) - antonik, CyberTheo, Jacques, Kees, kuma, Ross, steviebee, Todd R, wareagle69
Logic DM-101 MkII - memepool
Lorricraft Garrard 401 (2) - pcf, Thermionic
Magnum Dynalab FT101A (tuner) - Thermionic
Magnum Dynalab MD-102 (tuner) (2) - cAsE sEnSiTiVe, ronin74
Magnum Dynalab MD-108 (tuner) - Jacques
Nagra T-Audio (tape) - Thermionic
Nakamichi CR-7/ZX-7 (tape) - Ross
Nakamichi 1000 (tape) - Jolida302
Nottingham Analogue Hyper Space - Telynau
Oracle Delphi MKV (Turbo) - 883dave
Phonosophie No 3 - kuma
Pro-Ject RPM 9.1 - InSides
Pro-Ject RPM 10 - tuatara
Rega P7 - jsaliga
Revox PR-99 MKII (tape) - memepool
Roksan Xerxes Mk I - CyberTheo
Sony PS-X800 - 909
SOTA Comet - derekbmn
SOTA Star - ronin74
Tascam 122MKII (tape) - bowling-name
Technics RS1500 (tape reel) (2) - ironbut, Penchum
Technics RS1700 (tape reel) - Penchum
Technics SP-10 MK2 in SH-10B3 Obsidian plinth & Finite Elemente Cerapuck footers - CarbonTi
Technics ST-S8 / SH 4060 (tuner) - memepool
Teres Certus 450 - shokunin
Thorens TD125 Mk2 - memepool
TW Acustic Raven AC - Afrikane
TW Acustic Raven One - Rob N
Verdier La Platine Granito - selfdivider
VPI Aries 2 - immtbiker
VPI Aries 3 (3) - 4N6, Audiofiler, Voltron
VPI HW-19 Mk IV - paulllaser
VPI Scout (4) - johnsonad, paulllaser, robm321, TimJo
VPI Scoutmaster - screwdriver
VPI Superscoutmaster w/ Superplatter - tom hankins
VPI TNT MKIV - cAsE sEnSiTiVe
VPI TNT MKV - paulllaser
VPI HRX - Wmcmanus
Yamaha CT7000 (tuner) - Thermionic

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 118
1k for the table or the entire kit? Table + arm + cart? If all of the above, maybe 1k is too low. I mean for sane folks $1k is very much high-end but for audiophiles...$1k for the phono cable would be more like it...

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 118
I think that should be decent enough because folks will likely add a $500 arm and a $500 cart or so and bring it up to $2k which in many cases will take on CD players in the 3.5k category.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 118
It is going to be difficult to get it real accurate. Anolog setups really are a strange thing when it comes to money vs performance. Case in point I have 2 AR "The Turntables" and one ES-1. They can be generally bought for around $300 to $700 but with a few modifications they will easily play into the $1000 dollar plus range. You also have the older unknown idler drives like the Rek-O-Kuts, Prestos etc. They can be bought for relatively small amounts and with a little know how, can be made into turntables that can give virtually ANY new tables on the market a run for their money. Just thinking out loud......carry on.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 118
Agreed, but those mods must be included in the price. If ASR is merely looking for pricey gear then setting a minimum is a good idea. Of course there will be giant killers out there and ideally these will be fleshed out in the discussion of these high end rigs. "Can my A B and C table compete with X Y and Z? Etc.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is going to be difficult to get it real accurate. Anolog setups really are a strange thing when it comes to money vs performance. Case in point I have 2 AR "The Turntables" and one ES-1. They can be generally bought for around $300 to $700 but with a few modifications they will easily play into the $1000 dollar plus range. You also have the older unknown idler drives like the Rek-O-Kuts, Prestos etc. They can be bought for relatively small amounts and with a little know how, can be made into turntables that can give virtually give ANY new tables on the market a run for their money. Just thinking out loud......carry on.
biggrin.gif

Agreed. I guess you could work out the cost in terms of what it was when new and adjust it for inflation etc....in which case decks like the Rek-O-Kut mentioned would probably cost about the same as a small Ford
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 118
As from the end of June I should have:-

TW Acustic Raven One
SME IV arm
Benz Wood M2 cart

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this thread limited to turntables? I've got a couple radios that meet the price cut. Am thinking of a reel-to-reel around there, too.

Nope, pile on anything that can be considered analog!

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 118
I'm presently using a Rega P7 turntable with a Benz Micro Glider H2 cart. Have been thinking of upgrading to a Sota Star vaccuum table and SME IV arm but am standing pat for the time being.

--Jerome

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 118
I have ordered a new cartridge. i am using the Dynavector XX2 MKII now and have the Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua on the way.

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #15 of 118
TW Acustic Raven AC & Kuzma Stabi S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back