List of High-End Analog Source Owners on Head-Fi
Jul 17, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #91 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah Njoe Super Tjoeb 4000 with all upgrades

Peete.

That doesn't seem like an analog source based on the Google results...

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #92 of 118
A little amendment: I posted a few days ago with my new purchase of Nouvelle Platine Verdier. I was offered by the seller La Platine Verdier Granito turntable so I've decided to take the Platine Verdier Granito instead. This is the version that uses granite base instead of lacquered MDF; Verdier only made a few of these before realizing that the Granito version is too expensive & difficult to make for production... the original La Platine Verdier Granito is now a collector's item amongst Japanese analog fetishists... Now Keith Aschenbrenner of Auditorium 23 makes a replica of the Granito called "Vintage" Platine Verdier, which sells for $3-4K higher than the flagship Platine Verdier.

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #94 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little amendment: I posted a few days ago with my new purchase of Nouvelle Platine Verdier. I was offered by the seller La Platine Verdier Granito turntable so I've decided to take the Platine Verdier Granito instead. This is the version that uses granite base instead of lacquered MDF; Verdier only made a few of these before realizing that the Granito version is too expensive & difficult to make for production... the original La Platine Verdier Granito is now a collector's item amongst Japanese analog fetishists... Now Keith Aschenbrenner of Auditorium 23 makes a replica of the Granito called "Vintage" Platine Verdier, which sells for $3-4K higher than the flagship Platine Verdier.

I read somewhere (Salvatore maybe?) that the granite version rings.

*Not trying to be the wet rag, really.

edit: From Salvatore:
"CAVEATS: The earlier models had an overly resonant (concrete) base which they called "granito". They are not References. (One reader wrote that he was able to reduce the resonance "by using 3 heavy triple point brass cones (Mapleshade) on top of the base at the available 3 corners, and an additional cone on top of the arm board over the mounting bolt.")"

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #95 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by shallbehealed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere (Salvatore maybe?) that the granite version rings.

*Not trying to be the wet rag, really.

edit: From Salvatore:
"CAVEATS: The earlier models had an overly resonant (concrete) base which they called "granito". They are not References. (One reader wrote that he was able to reduce the resonance "by using 3 heavy triple point brass cones (Mapleshade) on top of the base at the available 3 corners, and an additional cone on top of the arm board over the mounting bolt.")"

I did read that & it gave me cause for concern before purchasing. Then I heard back from some actual owners who actually searched out Granito versions b/c it sounded better. Plus, I don't think there's anyone much better when it comes to that kind of opinion than Keith Aschenbrenner of Germany's Auditorium 23. He fought for Denon 103 to stay in production through the lean years, discovered & brought Shindo to Germany... and is actually an audio manufacturer/designer himself. Although I respect Mr. Salvatore's opinions, at the end of the day, opinions are merely opinions. I do find some of Mr. Salvatore's opinions on his site idiosyncratic, although I find them to be very valuable as well. And I actually trust Mr. Aschenbrenner more when it comes to audio matters, more so than anyone else, which is the reason why I was going to buy Nouvelle Platine and try to mod the plinth/armboard close to A23 specs...

I don't think there's anyone else who knows Verdier TTs better than Keith Aschenbrenner. Aschenbrenner actually received Verdier's blessing to mod & sell Verdier's TTs. He didn't like the MDF plinth at all on the Platine; he says that wood plinth (standard plinth on Verdier) though aesthetically pleasing, did not meet the functional requirements of the Granito base. Verbatim: "The new material needed to have the same functional advantages as the original plinth. Wood, which would have been the most aesthetically pleasing material, did not fulfil that requirement." So he discarded the MDF plinth because it made the TT sound inferior to the granite version and found a polymer material to re-create the Granito, and this is the version that's actually been garnering a lot of praise in Europe, called "Vintage" Platine Granito. It's met with Verdier's approval, too, as it is sold also in France by Verdier, for a higher price than the stock MDF version.

But seriously, there will be supporters & detractors for everything. I'm sure some people like the stock MDF version better than the Granito.

*EDIT* I just went to Salvatore's site to read it in earnest. I saw that he lists components that he considers as "Reference." I'm not talking about my turntable here, but in the Reference Pre-amp section, he rates Atma-Sphere very highly in Class B. But he says he hasn't heard it personally (!!!!) but his friend has!!!! What. I don't care if you are God. How can someone "grade" a component based on hearsay? The only credible criterion that matters in the end should be based on your own ears. I still think his site is subjectively informative in its own way & entertaining, but I would NOT trust it as an objective barometer upon which to base a serious judgment. I think one look through what he considers as Reference in every component section should make my point clear. I still like his opinions & takes, but I'd seriously heed to it with a bucket of salt.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #97 of 118
Another one for the VPI Aries 3 with 10.5 tonearm.

Also with this is the SDS speed controller, single motor flywheel, and TNT feet. Cartridge is the Lyra Skala. Phono preamp is the Ray Samuels XR-10B.

Jul 19, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #98 of 118
Not sure if my turntable actually qualify as highend- I picked it up from a secondhand hi fi shop in London for only 140pounds. Since than I spend a lot more on restoring it though(starting with a plinth from Loricraft).

Any other Garrard owners here?

-Paul

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #99 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if my turntable actually qualify as highend- I picked it up from a secondhand hi fi shop in London for only 140pounds. Since than I spend a lot more on restoring it though(starting with a plinth from Loricraft).

Any other Garrard owners here?

-Paul

Paul, Garrard 401 is DEFINITELY high-end. Congrats. In fact, I almost sprang for the 401 before the Platine Granito... was going to go for the LignoLab/Auditorium 23 plinth... but deemed it too time-consuming to work on. If I ever go for a 2nd TT, it'd definitely be a Garrard.

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #100 of 118
Quote:

Paul, Garrard 401 is DEFINITELY high-end. Congrats. In fact, I almost sprang for the 401 before the Platine Granito... was going to go for the LignoLab/Auditorium 23 plinth... but deemed it too time-consuming to work on. If I ever go for a 2nd TT, it'd definitely be a Garrard.

Do let us know how your new platine verdier sounds!

I want one too! (Just kidding, my wife won't let me.)
redface.gif

-Paul

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #101 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do let us know how your new platine verdier sounds!

I want one too! (Just kidding, my wife won't let me.)
redface.gif

-Paul

This is crazy but my wife doesn't know what it looks like yet!
eek.gif
She just thinks a turntable is on the way, and she's probably thinking of those classic looking Linns or Thorens...

I think it's a good move going with 401 rather than 301. B/C of the demand, 301 is frankly way overpriced, and I believe 401 is the more mature design... that's totally the move I would've made... when I move to a bigger place, maybe I'll get the 401 ball rolling again.

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #102 of 118
Quote:

This is crazy but my wife doesn't know what it looks like yet!
eek.gif
She just thinks a turntable is on the way, and she's probably thinking of those classic looking Linns or Thorens...

I think it's a good move going with 401 rather than 301. B/C of the demand, 301 is frankly way overpriced, and I believe 401 is the more mature design... that's totally the move I would've made... when I move to a bigger place, maybe I'll get the 401 ball rolling again.

And than there's Garrard501- built by Terry O'sullivan from Loricraft.
I only heard it once in a hi fi show and it was amazing.
I agree the price of the 301 is getting crazy. Still, it looks so cool that I wouldn't mind owning one.
Looks aside, these restored Garrards all sound great. I have changed my digital frontend a few times since the arrival of the 401 and it sounds better than all of them.

-Paul

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #103 of 118
1. VPI TNT V, JMW12.5, Lamm LP2
2. VPI HW-19 Mk IV (heavy K-Works mods), SME Mk IV, RSA XR-10B
3. VPI SCout (heavy K-Works mods), JMW9, RSA XR-2
Benz Ruby 3 x3, Cardas Heart, Shelter 501 Mk 2, Madrigal Carnegie 1 & 2, Dynavector 17D3 in rotation in the above 3 tables.

Jul 20, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #104 of 118
Quote:

I did read that & it gave me cause for concern before purchasing. Then I heard back from some actual owners who actually searched out Granito versions b/c it sounded better.

I was just informing you of the only opinion I've ever heard on the granito base.

Quote:

*EDIT* I just went to Salvatore's site to read it in earnest. I saw that he lists components that he considers as "Reference." I'm not talking about my turntable here, but in the Reference Pre-amp section, he rates Atma-Sphere very highly in Class B. But he says he hasn't heard it personally (!!!!) but his friend has!!!! What. I don't care if you are God. How can someone "grade" a component based on hearsay? The only credible criterion that matters in the end should be based on your own ears. I still think his site is subjectively informative in its own way & entertaining, but I would NOT trust it as an objective barometer upon which to base a serious judgment. I think one look through what he considers as Reference in every component section should make my point clear. I still like his opinions & takes, but I'd seriously heed to it with a bucket of salt.

I take everything I read with salt. Most of my food too. I think Salvatore is more than honest about when he recommends something, and when his friends do. I don't read it at all deceitfully.

However, I do envy your purchase. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, cus those decks are beautiful.

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #105 of 118
Hi, Shallbehealed. I do appreciate your information (thank you), that's not at all what I'm responding to.

Nor am I implying that Salvatore's recommendations are in any way deceitful or malicious. In fact, I enjoy them (as I've already maintained that I do) because you know he pulls no punches. But as mentioned, his recommendations and audio perspective seem idiosyncratic and narrow to me. And more problematic is the fact that he'd recommend anything as a critic based on something he himself hasn't heard. That's a red flag for me, even just based on common sense. I did heed his opinion that the granite base rings, but the overwhelming majority of well-qualified evidences pointed otherwise. I did write him an email not too long ago, asking about Verdier generally, and he quite likes the Platine. I do appreciate his kindness in replying.

I am excited about the purchase, but believe it or not, I'm not too into the Platine Granito aesthetically. I guess I'm more into something more minimalistic, and that TT is anything but minimalistic.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back