Lisa III (Triad Audio) - Update
Apr 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
Like many of us here, I read with interest of new amps and other gear, always hoping to get the "next great thing" that will take my music listening to a higher level. Also like others here, I sometimes fall for the flavor of the month hype and purchase new gear, expectations high, then discover my older gear is still "better."

For example, my Lisa III.

I purchased my Lisa over two years ago when they first came out. I use mine exclusively with IEM's (UE-11's) and almost always in portable mode. In the last two years I have tried many of the "hot" new amps, including the RSA P-51 and SR-71A, Pico, iQube and ALO Rx, plus a couple others. These newer amps are smaller, more convenient, hold much longer battery life, are sturdier and almost always easier to use with IEM's in portable mode. In spite of all the practical advantages the newer amps offer, it's my Lisa III that is still my number one, the one I amp I still own after 2 1/2years, the only piece of gear I consider irreplaceable. Many of us here say sound quality is the most important thing, and I agree. For the BEST sound quality available, I've found nothing - and I have tried! - nothing is close to the Lisa III.

This was all brought to mind again with an exceptional customer service experience. Since I use my Lisa in portable mode it is occasionally subjected to the odd bump or accident. I dropped mine on the input jacks and knocked them loose. I emailed Brad at Triad about getting the amp repaired. Brad replied almost instantly, said to send it in.

While the amp was off for repair I was "forced" to use my SR-71A. Of all the amps mentioned, this RSA amp is a solid 2nd place in my all time favorite list - I actually have owned two, one several years ago was sold while I tried all the newer offerings, and this one now after I discovered the SR-71A was still slightly preferred over the others. As good as the RSA amp is, I really, really missed the Lisa while it was gone.

Let me close by finishing the customer service story. Two days after Brad received my amp he emailed (and phoned) to say the amp was repaired, including a couple updates and a new backplate he thought would make the amp sturdier in my application. He sent it out via FedEx that day. Total cost to me for repairs, updates and shipping? Zero, nothing, no charge. Said he wanted to keep his Lisa customers happy. Did I mention this amp is over two years old and that the repair was caused by my negligence?

I know it seems newer will be better, and it often is with electronics. For me, this has not been the case with the Lisa III. I say it started as the best, still is.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 50
Nice to hear genuine satisfied customer stories and even nicer to hear about good customer service.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 50
I will be curious to read of your impressions of the updates. Great to read of the fast turn around. Excellent.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like many of us here, I read with interest of new amps and other gear, always hoping to get the "next great thing" that will take my music listening to a higher level. Also like others here, I sometimes fall for the flavor of the month hype and purchase new gear, expectations high, then discover my older gear is still "better."

For example, my Lisa III.

I purchased my Lisa over two years ago when they first came out. I use mine exclusively with IEM's (UE-11's) and almost always in portable mode. In the last two years I have tried many of the "hot" new amps, including the RSA P-51 and SR-71A, Pico, iQube and ALO Rx, plus a couple others. These newer amps are smaller, more convenient, hold much longer battery life, are sturdier and almost always easier to use with IEM's in portable mode. In spite of all the practical advantages the newer amps offer, it's my Lisa III that is still my number one, the one I amp I still own after 2 1/2years, the only piece of gear I consider irreplaceable. Many of us here say sound quality is the most important thing, and I agree. For the BEST sound quality available, I've found nothing - and I have tried! - nothing is close to the Lisa III.

This was all brought to mind again with an exceptional customer service experience. Since I use my Lisa in portable mode it is occasionally subjected to the odd bump or accident. I dropped mine on the input jacks and knocked them loose. I emailed Brad at Triad about getting the amp repaired. Brad replied almost instantly, said to send it in.

While the amp was off for repair I was "forced" to use my SR-71A. Of all the amps mentioned, this RSA amp is a solid 2nd place in my all time favorite list - I actually have owned two, one several years ago was sold while I tried all the newer offerings, and this one now after I discovered the SR-71A was still slightly preferred over the others. As good as the RSA amp is, I really, really missed the Lisa while it was gone.

Let me close by finishing the customer service story. Two days after Brad received my amp he emailed (and phoned) to say the amp was repaired, including a couple updates and a new backplate he thought would make the amp sturdier in my application. He sent it out via FedEx that day. Total cost to me for repairs, updates and shipping? Zero, nothing, no charge. Said he wanted to keep his Lisa customers happy. Did I mention this amp is over two years old and that the repair was caused by my negligence?

I know it seems newer will be better, and it often is with electronics. For me, this has not been the case with the Lisa III. I say it started as the best, still is.

I relate to your post until I got the Protector (balanced with JH13). I have owned the Tomahawk, P51 and recentky the ALO RX, all of them much below the Lisa III in terms of performance. But since getting the Protector each day I'm liking it more to the point that the Lisa III is not getting home use (which is where Isue it, I never take it portable). The Protector + Imod +Twag connectors + Alo Vcap Dock + JH13 with Twag Balanced termination= heaven bliss.

Yesterday I had a 2 hour comparative session between the Lisa III (+ LLP + RCA Twag connectors ) and the Protector and I confirmed what my listening habits of the last two weeks led me to believe: Im favoring the Protector. Still not sure I want to put my beloved LISA and LLP on the For Sale forums..

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear genuine satisfied customer stories and even nicer to hear about good customer service.

^^ QFT...

It seems customer service across the board is at an all time low. I love reading about someone actually getting stellar service.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 50
Wow that's admirable CS indeed. FreeBlues, Which phones are you using with the LisaIII? I've a pair Sexttets (600ohm) that i'd like to use with a prtable, Will the Lisa suffice?

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 50
What great and prompt service!

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that's admirable CS indeed. FreeBlues, Which phones are you using with the LisaIII? I've a pair Sexttets (600ohm) that i'd like to use with a prtable, Will the Lisa suffice?

I have the same feeling about Triad Audio and my LISA III as FreeBlues. I absolutely love it. But it plays far better with my SR325 than with my 600 Ohm Beyerdynamic T1. So I keep it playing with the lower impedance headphones since I think it takes more power to drive the 600 Ohm ones.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 50
Its great they gave you good customer service on your 2 year old amp that you broke.

I read a few threads the past month or so that said they couldnt get in touch with Triad, and people were wondering what happened to them.

I guess maybe they were just on vacation or something, so i guess theyre back.
Hopefully theyre back and checking e-mails regularly now and they keep it up.
Its a nice amp and it would be a shame if it went the route of the PRll .

One day i hope to get a Lisa lll.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #10 of 50
Yeah that's right. They were away but now they are back. And they are working on the LISA RS which should be even better than the LISA III. Most likely they will continue to work in their own pace and we are waiting impatiently to hear more about the RS.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 50
actually I think there is a LITTLE something else they have been working on...

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually I think there is a LITTLE something else they have been working on...

Ahhh yes - that's right. I read that too somewhere
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 50
Little? Well after the Lisa lll , some people would like little...lol.

Lisa RS??? Prolly the size of a briefcase and uses a motorcycle battery...lol

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lisa RS??? Prolly the size of a briefcase and uses a motorcycle battery...lol

Well - if it sounds better than the LISA III I would not mind a motorcyclebattery
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back