Liquid Gold - 2014
Apr 14, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #721 of 808
  Just thought I'd chime in here about fuses. They are a safety device, designed to prevent electrical shorts from causing a fire in your amp or house wiring.

Think about what the fuse is seeing, a 120V 60 Hz sine wave (here in the US) from your wall outlet. If a fuse was directional, then wouldn't the power supply line be rectified before the power transformer sees it?

My LAu and Liquid Crimson, sound great with the stock fuses, no need to change them and risk compromising safety.

Agreed.

Aanother thought,
If the fuse is directional, then wouldn't it follow that all the other wires would be directional also?
blink.gif

HEH, I know the OCD people are going to have a mental breakdown thinking about all the wires in their amps that are backwards now.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #722 of 808
Yes, well, maybe directional does not matter at all, and maybe it does.

But the incorrect fuse specs given out earlier in this thread for the Liquid Gold -- whether that error came from the manufacturer, a retailer, or simple miscommunication -- would seem to definitely matter.

And that would especially seem to matter coming from one of those two sources, since most people would likely tend to believe a reputable manufacturer or reliable retailer, before believing some unknown fellow on the interwebs.

And that was my original, and main, focus -- what type of fuse does this fantastic headphone amp take.
Whether or not I, or anyone else, decides to be aware of direction would cause no harm.
Installing the wrong fuse, however, could cause harm to the unit.

So, bottom line, it seems the correct specs for each of the two Liquid Gold fuses are:

Diameter = 5mm (3/16 in)
Length = 20mm (3/4 in)
Rating = 1.0A - 250V
Fuse Type = Slow Blow (Time Delay)

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #723 of 808

But the incorrect fuse specs given out earlier in this thread for the Liquid Gold -- whether that error came from the manufacturer, a retailer, or simple miscommunication -- would seem to definitely matter.

And that would especially seem to matter coming from one of those two sources, since most people would likely tend to believe a reputable manufacturer or reliable retailer, before believing some unknown fellow on the interwebs.

And that was my original, and main, focus -- what type of fuse does this fantastic headphone amp take.
Whether or not I, or anyone else, decides to be aware of direction would cause no harm.

So, bottom line, it seems the correct specs for each of the two Liquid Gold fuses are:

[COLOR=006400]Diameter = 5mm (3/16 in)

Length = 20mm (3/4 in)

Rating = 1.0A - 250V

[/COLOR]
Think of me as the minna bird. I repeated what I was told. I've never opened one and I've sold my personal unit in expectation of the new Tungsten being a part of my personal inventory very soon. We have the PCB version in our headgear department since January full time for audition.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #724 of 808

Diameter = 5mm (3/16 in)

Length = 20mm (3/4 in)

Rating = 1.0A - 250V

Slow and fast blow fuses are not directional. Reject fusions are directional as they require a specific holder, which is also directional.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #727 of 808
Not working... 
confused.gif

May 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #731 of 808
Hey folks - quick question for Final Edition owners: do you have your user manual handy? Mine is in the box in the attic, and I had a question.

I had always thought the 2 6.3 headphone jacks were for single ended headphones, with one low and one high gain. Well, what are the markings up above the 2 SE jacks, then?

IMG_0480.JPG

Where it says Left---------Bal---------------Right.

Is there a way to configure the 2 to form another balanced out? How?

Sorry about the upside down picture. I don't know my way around the new site yet...

May 2, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #732 of 808
Hey folks - quick question for Final Edition owners: do you have your user manual handy? Mine is in the box in the attic, and I had a question.

I had always thought the 2 6.3 headphone jacks were for single ended headphones, with one low and one high gain. Well, what are the markings up above the 2 SE jacks, then?

Where it says Left---------Bal---------------Right.

Is there a way to configure the 2 to form another balanced out? How?

Sorry about the upside down picture. I don't know my way around the new site yet...

It's for dual-3-pin XLR balanced connectors.

May 2, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #733 of 808
It's for dual-3-pin XLR balanced connectors.

Oh nice! It never occurred to me that the those 2 jacks were dual purpose - SE in the center, and 3-pin XLR on the periphery.

So I can connect 2 balanced 'phones - one with the 4-pin XLR, and another wired with dual 3-pin XLRs?

May 2, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #734 of 808
Oh nice! It never occurred to me that the those 2 jacks were dual purpose - SE in the center, and 3-pin XLR on the periphery.

So I can connect 2 balanced 'phones - one with the 4-pin XLR, and another wired with dual 3-pin XLRs?
Yup!

May 2, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #735 of 808

One final thing, before we close this line of inquiry. Does the gain setting slider (Hi- Lo) affect both balanced outputs then? I've only ever used it for the 4-pin XLR, but assuming it controls both the same way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back