Linux users unite!
May 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #376 of 481
I'm good, just had to tell it to output to the external DAC. I guess most people don't connect a DAC so there was no indication that something happened when I connected the DAC but it was there. 
Thanks for the advise. BTW I am using Clementine and Pulse Audio was on by default. 

Thank you to Sxooter

May 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #377 of 481
Glad you got it working! Yeah, PCLinuxOS may look like windows, but it's still very much linux underneath. Takes some adaptation. But honestly the control panel type stuff in linux is so much simpler and more clean than windows. I can't find **** in windows control panel half the time. Now listen to that dac and tell us what you think!

May 30, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #378 of 481
Thanks again and yes I will report back on how the Maverick D2 sounds in this setup, I also am thinking of getting another DAC for another room...feel free to give opinions. I'd like a DAC/amp combo.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #379 of 481
This is why I generally avoid using PulseAudio. I use just plain ALSA because it's simpler (in this case it would have been as easy as switching which sound card to use in alsamixer) and can also achieve higher audio quality than PulseAudio.

When I'm using Linux, I don't like applications that take control of everything for you. Nice if you don't plan on customizing, but impossible to configure if you want to do something more personalized or advanced. That's why I switched away from PulseAudio and Cinnamon. Now I use vanilla ALSA and vanilla Openbox.

I have to agree with the whole "Linux control panels are better," but that's mostly because the Linux community doesn't have stupid GUI designers (or even if there are their stuff doesn't get used). I edit most of my settings through text files (to which most Linux "control panels" are simply a frontend to) with a command-line editor, but that's just me. I'd just like to avoid installing software (especially large pieces of software) unnecessarily, as my budget when buying my computer only allowed for a 60 GB SSD, and with the kind of speed boost I was going to get from it I was willing to buy that. Then again, my laptop came with a 60 GB spinning hard drive because it's used and from 2006... but that's besides the point.

Glad to hear you got your DAC working!

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #380 of 481
I am relatively new to Linux, been a PC guy for awhile now. I'm not a real geek but in the past have always built my own computers. I like the fact that you don't have to use anti virus or malware software with Linux and it seems not to be as bloated as Windows. Although PCLinuxOS 64 does update quite a bit, seems I can't turn the system on without an update being available. I have a desktop and an older laptop running Linux and a newer laptop running W7. I tried Mint and liked it a lot but a friend convinced me to switch to PCLinux. I'm just starting to get my music on my HD's and it is different. I usually listen straight from the CD and listening to the same material off a HD I feel there is a loss of quality. I also like the tactical feel of an inlay card or insert to look at and read as you listen. Back in the day they had massive inserts from the album sleeve and today you don't get much of anything by way of information on the band or the recording. I am moving all my music to my 1.5TB HD but I still like the feel of physical media. Guess I'm finally getting old...

Jun 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #384 of 481
The original md5sum signature is inside the metadata, under <STREAMINFO>. You check it with the checksum generated through the raw audio data through decoding.
 The integrity of the audio data is further insured by storing an MD5 signature of the original unencoded audio data in the file header, which can be compared against later during decoding or testing.

It also does a CRC check during decoding.

You can also use ffmpeg to get a more accurate output of where the CRC check goes wrong, since it tells you the specific timestamp.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #385 of 481
Been procrastinating on the switch to Linux or Unix with WinXP down-the-street. So many options lying in wait, still undecided. By default the time is right to get in there and salvage the old HP 17"er and learn something new to boot!

I'm counting on your guidance, TwinQY! 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #386 of 481
While I usually stress that switching is akin to adapting an entirely new paradigm, sometimes it's more helpful to face a visual interface that retains some similarities from what XP people are typically more used to. XFCE tends to go towards this route. In which case Linux Mint 17 just had its XFCE version come out. I think a live CD of that would be a great place to start. Years ago I moved a lot of people to the XFCE edition of LMDE and I think they are all still running it.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #387 of 481
smiley_thumb.gif
 Always appreciate your assistance, TwinQY! Currently have MINT on a SD card on newest notebook. Just never used it for regular stuff outside of audio. Completely forgot about it. 
rolleyes.gif

Guess I'll start gutting after the Fourth!

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #388 of 481
I've been using arch just fine but systemd was bothering me and I decided to install funtoo and its so different, hopefully I can pick up and learn it pretty soon, it took like 2 days to get tired of i3 and I went back to open box... Then immediately went back, tiling is so great. But yeah hopefully I can understand funtoo because atm use flags and different kernels and stuff are getting real confusing. :/ oh but I never have had to restart the install process and got it working with gummiboot which wasn't in the install guide so that's a plus, I'm also using btrfs and stuff b/c curiosity.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #389 of 481
   Always appreciate your assistance, TwinQY! Currently have MINT on a SD card on newest notebook. Just never used it for regular stuff outside of audio. Completely forgot about it. 
rolleyes.gif

Ever start getting started?

Have a moc (not Mok) daemon on to the rPi connected to the TV rig which is set with the ODAC + HR624, equalized with JAMin. Sounds great. Could go to a floorstanding (Image T6), or keep the bookshelf stands, go with a LS50. But really the living room is small enough that the Mackies sound absolutely fine. But what I could do that would be relatively reasonable is move the rPi to a NUC. Would definitely appreciate the horsepower.

morpheus - a suckless distro

It recommends building on a Crux rootfs. That is convenient in that I've just been moving all of the Arch machines (3), apart from one, to Crux. That was a decision I made as I realized a majority of the things I used came from the -git packages on the AUR, or just tweaked PKGBUILDs from the ABS. These packages became very tiring to update manually all of the time. I've had my time with Gentoo/Exherbo, and while I could have moved these last couple of Linux machines to a flavor of BSD, I'd still prefer to have a Linux distro in house for the occasionally weird peripheral coming in. This having occurred a few weeks before the LAS folks did their review on Crux, just cemented my decision even more. It's like they have ESP. Probably found the esp-svn package on the AUR or something.

Back to morpheus. Would have plenty of hosts to build it on. Have not played around with musl much, ever since all of the Alpine machines had been migrated to OpenBSD. If/when this gets usable enough I might be set for a while. musl, s/ubase, smdev, a very cool ports system; it's everything my self-made Exherbo setup was, and I don't have to mess with exhereses!

In fact just taking a look at it, the way that they packaged the heirloom stuff into hbase so nicely, harkens back to my woes linking heirloom stuff with busybox stuff to make up for the functionality/missing utils. Already this shows more and more promise. I wonder how fast I can get a fbterm + tmux setup on there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'd still like to move a machine to Void in case I need something binary, fast, but still retaining a good level of flexibility. Perhaps the incoming workstation, but I'd sort of want to stay with Crux on that one as well.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #390 of 481

rolleyes.gif

Ever start getting started?

Have a moc (not Mok) daemon on to the rPi connected to the TV rig which is set with the ODAC + HR624, equalized with JAMin. Sounds great. Could go to a floorstanding (Image T6), or keep the bookshelf stands, go with a LS50. But really the living room is small enough that the Mackies sound absolutely fine. But what I could do that would be relatively reasonable is move the rPi to a NUC. Would definitely appreciate the horsepower.

morpheus - a suckless distro

It recommends building on a Crux rootfs. That is convenient in that I've just been moving all of the Arch machines (3), apart from one, to Crux. That was a decision I made as I realized a majority of the things I used came from the -git packages on the AUR, or just tweaked PKGBUILDs from the ABS. These packages became very tiring to update manually all of the time. I've had my time with Gentoo/Exherbo, and while I could have moved these last couple of Linux machines to a flavor of BSD, I'd still prefer to have a Linux distro in house for the occasionally weird peripheral coming in. This having occurred a few weeks before the LAS folks did their review on Crux, just cemented my decision even more. It's like they have ESP. Probably found the esp-svn package on the AUR or something.

Back to morpheus. Would have plenty of hosts to build it on. Have not played around with musl much, ever since all of the Alpine machines had been migrated to OpenBSD. If/when this gets usable enough I might be set for a while. musl, s/ubase, smdev, a very cool ports system; it's everything my self-made Exherbo setup was, and I don't have to mess with exhereses!

In fact just taking a look at it, the way that they packaged the heirloom stuff into hbase so nicely, harkens back to my woes linking heirloom stuff with busybox stuff to make up for the functionality/missing utils. Already this shows more and more promise. I wonder how fast I can get a fbterm + tmux setup on there.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'd still like to move a machine to Void in case I need something binary, fast, but still retaining a good level of flexibility. Perhaps the incoming workstation, but I'd sort of want to stay with Crux on that one as well.

Just WOW. Over the years you've certainly been bangin' out fun AND experience! I have not yet started...any day now I suppose since the 17"er is just sittin' there. I guess I should get over gunking it up or brickin' it 'cause would it really matter? 
biggrin.gif
 Still need to decide what to try first. And wondering if I shouldn't have a hack at a flav of Unix first or Linux...maybe the former gets me to play around with my Mac under the hood in the future as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back