Linux users unite!
Feb 3, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #346 of 481
Hello there! Might as well join this thread as I'm a Linux user as well.
I have Arch running on all computers that I use around my house. My sister complains, but I think she secretly likes it :)
She would complain of it being "slow" when I had the desktop she uses running Ubuntu (even though it was slower when running XP), but then again it's an old Athlon 64 machine. She can't complain anymore with it running Arch though. I have her set up with LXDE along with Compton and Docky. Considering that it's a graphical environment and there's compositing involved, it runs very smoothly and snappily. I had it using LXDM, but that's kind of ugly and I didn't want her complaining so I switched it over to LightDM, and while it's slower, it does look better.

I also run Arch on my laptop which I use for web browsing, schoolwork, music listening (very close to ordering my first audiophile headphones), etc.
I'm pretty content with the default Cinnamon setup, but I've been experiencing some bugs, so I'm not sure I'll stick with it. I might duplicate what I have set up for my sister, but I'm also interested in i3 as many, many people on the Arch forum seem to use it.
It's a pretty old machine (I think from about 2006), but it performs very nicely for its age.
I have upgraded the ram from 1 gig to 4 gigs, upgraded the HDD to an SSD, and also upgraded from a Core Duo to a Core 2 Duo from my mom's old laptop which finally died (motherboard problem, I think). She was using a new laptop with an i7 long before this happened though. My graphics chipset is atrocious though, it's an Intel GMA 450.

I love Arch. It's flexible, customizable, but also super easy to use. I doubt I'll ever go back to a simpler distro. Once I get a new laptop (not likely for a couple more years), I would like to experiment with Linux from Scratch on my current one.

I also recently did some work with Raspberry Pis for my dad. I have to confess, though, that I wasn't a fantastic help, as I didn't have any experience in what he wanted to do with them. He's involved in the video streaming business, but I've never done anything with the likes of Wowza or ffmpeg before. Oh well.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #348 of 481
Lxqt (I think I mentioned it before) ended up not building for me anymore a few weeks ago. And after installing one too many LXDEs and picking out a lot of the parts in the LXDE metapackage, realized that all I really ever used was the lxpanel and the openbox part, none of the more hackneyed tools. Which goes to show that maybe the merge with Razor will result in a more substantial product so I'm anxious to have it build again.

And if 2006 machines are old then I might as well write an obituary for everything in-house.

People make much adieu over LFS and just perceive it as "the final frontier" - perhaps they're missing the point completely. It's not some penultimate pseudo-distro that we all graduate to. It works as a great educational guide and a framework. And maybe that's what you plan to use it for. In which case I would recommend Tiny afterwards - not only do you actually have to write stuff, you work with completely different toolsets from what people are used to, and you go a bit deeper than just learning about libraries and what tools a system depend on (typically all that you'd need to lazily slap together a "distro" and call it even)- you learn about how the tools literally work. It's also small enough that things don't become too daunting.

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #349 of 481
This is not why I typically use the framebuffer but it's simply amazing that he's managed to do this - http://penkia.blogspot.ca/2014/02/introducing-slatekit-base-technical.html

Very, very, VERY cool. I'm eager to try this but for whatever reason the download link simply does not work for me.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #350 of 481
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/

Searching ebay for one of those nifty Sharp Netwalkers (have a broken Zaurus) means that I might have to expose myself to a lot of this in the near future. A nice price for an used OpenPandora opened locally as well.

Also - https://github.com/np1/mps-youtube

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #351 of 481
  This is not why I typically use the framebuffer but it's simply amazing that he's managed to do this - http://penkia.blogspot.ca/2014/02/introducing-slatekit-base-technical.html

Very, very, VERY cool. I'm eager to try this but for whatever reason the download link simply does not work for me.

That is very cool, and worth keeping an eye on. I'm a big fan of sticking to framebuffer when possible, but often end up with a minimal X/ratpoison solution instead. Glad to see work like this being done.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #357 of 481

If the DAC needs special drivers to work in Windows it wont work in Linux - most don't and work without issue.

I wonder if my Audio GD dac will work q.q

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #358 of 481
Usually a quick google search can answer questions like these.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Audio+GD+dac+linux

Also, this page says that it should work (at least I think so, the wording is really weird):
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/USB32/USB32EN.htm
"Mac OSX , Linux (MMX)  and SPDIF inputs without driver install necessary."

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #359 of 481
  I wonder if my Audio GD dac will work q.q

Did you install Windows drivers or did it just work?  It really is that easy, either a device is generic USB audio and will work or it isn't and wont
smily_headphones1.gif

(unless the manufacturer has released drivers, and even then they may cause problems...)

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #360 of 481
  Did you install Windows drivers or did it just work?  It really is that easy, either a device is generic USB audio and will work or it isn't and wont
smily_headphones1.gif

(unless the manufacturer has released drivers, and even then they may cause problems...)

Easiest way is to plug in the dac and check if the volume settings show it.

Worst case just check the dmesg log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back