LINUX - so lost! so lonely! so curious, so tempted...
Feb 2, 2008 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

sleepkyng

Headphoneus Supremus
I think i want to abandon MS and Apple completely.

I've owned both, all shapes and sizes, but linux just seems prime for the takin now.

I've lookd at distrowatch - i know a little about linux not much, but i would be using it as user end - mainly as my day to day computer.

here's what i want:

multimedia stuff
design and webpage stuff
reliability and performance on an older piece of hardware (900mhz, 768 ram)
highly customizable but user friendly

i will be doing some 2d art and would like it optimized for that

is there a linux distro for me?

here's the ones i'm thinking about
zenwalk
linux mint
slax
gOS
arch
ubuntu studio
xubuntu

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 57
Give Ubuntu a try. I've used it a bit and it's great. Have thought about switching, but I've stuck with Fedora/Red Hat for 5 years and it's ingrained. We do have my mother running Ubuntu with zero troubles, so I have no second thoughts about calling it easy to use.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 57
i'm gonna be a downer: i don't think linux is really ready for consumer use; i've been fiddling with ubuntu and such for awhile; it's ok, better in a lot of ways, but unless your a DEVELOPER type tech person, unless you want to be involved in the process; i don't think linux is ready for standard consumers, too many limitations; it's getting there though; and if you DO want to be involved in the process, more power to ya

or: if you are just using basic stuff like email and such, you probably won't have issues

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 57
i used xubuntu and ubuntu on my ibm PIII 1.2ghz 512mb ram notebook; xubuntu was faster and was just fine, minus a couple problems with weird shutdowns, suspend, standard issues; if i had a more powerful comp i'd use ubuntu just because it's better supported, less problems, but i liked xubuntu just fine, and it works just as well as ubuntu

edit: for your hardware, ubuntu GG will be way too slow; try xubuntu or something else lightweight

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 57
Thanks phi, Ubuntu was running a little sluggish on my laptop

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 57
As an avid linux user for about 15 years, I have one thing to say.

Things will break, and the way that you fix them will be more hands-on than you are used to.

The only way you'll survive is if you learn to do it the linux way. The only way you'll get any help from me, or other seasoned linux users, is if you're willing to do your part of the work.

I personally don't feel that linux is appropriate for most users. As certain linux distros get closer to user-friendly, they get further away from ericj-acceptable. Personally I can't stand ubuntu. Too much auto-magic.

Feb 3, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #10 of 57
I wouldn't say that any distro is "prime for the takin" yet. Sure, things are getting easier to do and maintain, but it is still quite different than any other computing experience.

Before considering making a switch, get a Live CD (or any distro, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc). It will introduce you nicely into the Linux mindset without putting all your eggs in it's basket. If you like what you see and want to get to know it more, then consider partitioning and installing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I can't stand ubuntu. Too much auto-magic.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. When I started using Linux, I tried a Knoppix live CD and fell in love with the experience. Just the idea of getting to re-learn how to do the most basic of things in an OS was exciting for me. You get to explore different desktop environments, programs without spyware, and you will discover that you are getting to know a lot more about your computer than you ever will with a Microsoft OS (such as the first time you compile a program or the kernel).

If your interested in your computer, want to read a lot, and what I described sounds enticing, I recommend NOT using Ubuntu and using something like Slackware instead. But, if you are just interested in a free OS that is more point-and-click (nothing wrong with that), go ahead and give Ubuntu a shot!

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 57
Ubuntu studio is pretty cool, if you don't want to burn it to DVD you can install it on top of a regular Ubuntu installation too.

I'm not a fan of ubuntu because it's too noobie-ish and I learned Linux by doing it the hard way, command line up, etc. but whatever, I guess it doesn't really make a difference but I do have ubuntu studio on my computer now, I installed it one day and never bothered to install something else to replace it, so it works, lol.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just install Ubuntu first. If you find it's too slow on your computer, you can easily switch to Xubuntu by just typing

apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

at the command line.

I personally prefer XFCE to Gnome, but it seems most people just tend to stick with Gnome.

nah; i'm telling ya; my thinkpad is a 1.2ghz and it's still too slow for ubuntu GG; it ran ubuntu FF ok

do xubuntu; just as easy as ubuntu to install and use

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your interested in your computer, want to read a lot, and what I described sounds enticing, I recommend NOT using Ubuntu and using something like Slackware instead

ehhhh.... you'll have hurtles to get over even using the most user-friendly distro; no need to start with a harder one; later on you can use a more configurable more advanced distro

it bothers me that linux-dudes think that everyone who wants to try linux gives a **** about why their computer works; this is the great problem with programmers: they don't design well for non-nerds.

this guy may not care much about why the ****ing computer works, he just wants it to work, and not to have to be strangled by microsoft; that's a good thing, and it's a shame the nerdy linux community won't embrace it more.....linux is starting to become consumer-friendly (some distros, as it should be), but it won't get big (and big means more development, better drivers etc. not just more user-friendly for non-nerds) until more common folk adopt it.

i'm writing this on an XP computer while my xubuntu laptop sits over there; **** doesn't work like it does on XP. things freeze, functions don't work, and this is an IBM laptop, the pinnacle of linux laptops. all that being said, i'm starting to learn some programming, and i really want to be part of the linux community; there's a lot of great stuff here, not the least of which is a desire for control over your/our computers. but for now, XP works great, ridiculous amount of great free software, and my emu0404 actually works
wink.gif
peace

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #15 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ehhhh.... you'll have hurtles to get over even using the most user-friendly distro; no need to start with a harder one; later on you can use a more configurable more advanced distro

it bothers me that linux-dudes think that everyone who wants to try linux gives a **** about why their computer works; this is the great problem with programmers: they don't design well for non-nerds.

this guy may not care much about why the ****ing computer works, he just wants it to work, and not to have to be strangled by microsoft; that's a good thing, and it's a shame the nerdy linux community won't embrace it more.....linux is starting to become consumer-friendly (some distros, as it should be), but it won't get big (and big means more development, better drivers etc. not just more user-friendly for non-nerds) until more common folk adopt it.

i'm writing this on an XP computer while my xubuntu laptop sits over there; **** doesn't work like it does on XP. things freeze, functions don't work, and this is an IBM laptop, the pinnacle of linux laptops. all that being said, i'm starting to learn some programming, and i really want to be part of the linux community; there's a lot of great stuff here, not the least of which is a desire for control over your/our computers. but for now, XP works great, ridiculous amount of great free software, and my emu0404 actually works
wink.gif
peace

Well, if everyone has your mindset, then why should they ever design for non-nerds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back