Linsoul x 7HZ x Crinacle Salnotes Dioko Product Launch
Jul 14, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #76 of 95
First impressions are good. It's got a thinner midrange than I might like . But the sub bass is spectacular. Imaging is great, separation is crazy and above all female vocals and treble is crazy crystal clear. Ambient sounds and air is crazy good. I wish make vocals had a bit more meat but clarity is off the charts compared to anything under 150. Sub bass is best I've heard under 500. Need to play with tips for more.
How's the snare hits sound on rock and metal songs?

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #77 of 95
Just an update…

The replacement ‘kit’ came in the mail today. Included is an actual useful pair of tweezers…nice quality.

The job to replace the incorrect tuning material and install the new, or correct tuning material is pretty straight forward. They give you plenty of material in case you mess up, but thankfully I was able to get it replaced on the first attempt.

Here’s what I’ll say after listening for about an hour after the switch… it’s better. I’m still missing some of the bass impact, but it’s still as fast as it was before. The nice piece to the new, or correct tuning, is that it’s no longer just hollow and shrill. It’s become a much more balanced sounding device.

I’ll give it several more days of listening across different genres, but so far… I am pleased with the results. Good on this group for catching the issue and providing a solution without having to contact them for support.

Jul 15, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #78 of 95
Got the Dioko today.
Ok I like it, but this is my opinion as a S12 listener:

Accessories:
Epic box with the liner out it can fit a whole heap of gear. Less practical than Shouers but more awesome.

Tips feels like an odd batch with varying bore sizes and thickness rather than size and fit, good it provides tip rolling, problem is getting a seal.

Cable is flimsy compared to S12s BUT greater comfort and much lighter, also love the slimline straight 3.5mm identical in size to the female part of the Apple dongle. Chin cinch is much too tight. The plug that fits into the IEM is curved and much more comfortable than the S12(even after repeated hair dryer and bending treatment) But fit and comfort trumps all other factors here.

Fit: It a larger fit than the S12 and longer stem, more stable with better seal. My right ear fits well with anything, not so lucky with the left. Clear win for Dioko here unless for sleeping.

Looks: it’s plenty manly enough, but it’s for my daughter and she loves it. I’d have no qualms about wearing it anywhere. Shape wise, not appealing.
S12 win.

Now sound with Crin’s FR comparo

graph 13.png

Sub Bass: they suppose to meet at 20hz but there is definitely more rumble with the S12, on the mac I tweaked the Dioko’s bass higher but it still lacked the subwoofer like sensation the S12 brings.
Reference track: Time (Inception OST) by Hans Zimmer, Hide by Juice WRLD

Bass: is surprisingly pleasant and detailed but sounds distant rather than the in your face (which I like) bass of the S12. Less head nod inducing but less likely to lose a good seal if you do on the Dioko. On rock tracks it lacks ability to present different drum types that the S12 did (like different combos of drum skin & boom)
S12 FTW here.
I understand single drivers won’t be able to have a thick shelf with sharp drop off ala Variations but I’d take a bit of mud over
engagement.
Reference track: Ready Steady Go by Paul Oakenfold, Clubbed to Death by Robert D, Silver**** by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Upper bass, mids, upper mids:
Awesome, it sounds like the way I EQ’ed my S12 (Adhering to either Harmann or IEF Comp) great clarity from vocals both male and female. It’s less fatiguing but I do miss the sharp edge by Sia. With the climax (just after Dafoe drops the last time) in Samuel Barber’s Adagio didn’t have…heck…I’m no critical listener but it didn’t hit like the S12 did.
Better overall than the S12 but less detailed….
Draw? No…I try better.
All day listen, Dioko.
Feeling a track at the end of the day, S12.

The highs.
Here the graphs don’t correlate to my experience. The S12 had too much “air”? It was a part of the FR I low shelfed down 6db. The Dioko is a much better listen here.
Winner: Dioko

Staging?
This part I find it easy to describe but know nothing about the science. E.g the S12 on a flat EQ sounded wider and more like the Sydney Opera house than on Harmann, but here’s what I thought.
S12 win here, in orchestra pieces it feels like I’m there, EDM, it takes me back to the club I was at when I first heard it.
It makes little sense to me given they both pump waves into my ears separately. It’s a pity I’ll have to wait for a replacement S12 or Z12 but on my S12 + Qudelix I don’t feel like I miss the Variations left at home. With the Dioko, I’m still kicking myself for losing that setup.

So conclusions:
Without EQ I’d have to give the Dioko the nod as I felt the S12 and the Qudelix was complete with each other.

With a good PEQ and graphs to reference off, I vote the S12. When my replacement Q5K arrives I’ll see if I can replicate that experience with the Dioko but have a feeling this is down to the interior cavity and tubes leading the tip of both IEMs. Will update then.

Now the Dioko ain’t mine and I don’t have an S12, so what will I buy?

Since I have a Q5K (and QX Over) inbound, I think I’ll wait for the Z12 with its slight bass boost. I wish I can buy a Salnotes IEM cable as it’s the perfect fit for me.

That said keep in mind that the Dioko is $99 while without discounts a S12 + Q5K combo is $280 and all the capabilities of a 10 channel PEQ.

I think Crin wins.

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #79 of 95
Got the Dioko today.
Ok I like it, but this is my opinion as a S12 listener:

Accessories:
Epic box with the liner out it can fit a whole heap of gear. Less practical than Shouers but more awesome.

Tips feels like an odd batch with varying bore sizes and thickness rather than size and fit, good it provides tip rolling, problem is getting a seal.

Cable is flimsy compared to S12s BUT greater comfort and much lighter, also love the slimline straight 3.5mm identical in size to the female part of the Apple dongle. Chin cinch is much too tight. The plug that fits into the IEM is curved and much more comfortable than the S12(even after repeated hair dryer and bending treatment) But fit and comfort trumps all other factors here.

Fit: It a larger fit than the S12 and longer stem, more stable with better seal. My right ear fits well with anything, not so lucky with the left. Clear win for Dioko here unless for sleeping.

Looks: it’s plenty manly enough, but it’s for my daughter and she loves it. I’d have no qualms about wearing it anywhere. Shape wise, not appealing.
S12 win.

Now sound with Crin’s FR comparo

Sub Bass: they suppose to meet at 20hz but there is definitely more rumble with the S12, on the mac I tweaked the Dioko’s bass higher but it still lacked the subwoofer like sensation the S12 brings.
Reference track: Time (Inception OST) by Hans Zimmer, Hide by Juice WRLD

Bass: is surprisingly pleasant and detailed but sounds distant rather than the in your face (which I like) bass of the S12. Less head nod inducing but less likely to lose a good seal if you do on the Dioko. On rock tracks it lacks ability to present different drum types that the S12 did (like different combos of drum skin & boom)
S12 FTW here.
I understand single drivers won’t be able to have a thick shelf with sharp drop off ala Variations but I’d take a bit of mud over
engagement.
Reference track: Ready Steady Go by Paul Oakenfold, Clubbed to Death by Robert D, Silver**** by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Upper bass, mids, upper mids:
Awesome, it sounds like the way I EQ’ed my S12 (Adhering to either Harmann or IEF Comp) great clarity from vocals both male and female. It’s less fatiguing but I do miss the sharp edge by Sia. With the climax (just after Dafoe drops the last time) in Samuel Barber’s Adagio didn’t have…heck…I’m no critical listener but it didn’t hit like the S12 did.
Better overall than the S12 but less detailed….
Draw? No…I try better.
All day listen, Dioko.
Feeling a track at the end of the day, S12.

The highs.
Here the graphs don’t correlate to my experience. The S12 had too much “air”? It was a part of the FR I low shelfed down 6db. The Dioko is a much better listen here.
Winner: Dioko

Staging?
This part I find it easy to describe but know nothing about the science. E.g the S12 on a flat EQ sounded wider and more like the Sydney Opera house than on Harmann, but here’s what I thought.
S12 win here, in orchestra pieces it feels like I’m there, EDM, it takes me back to the club I was at when I first heard it.
It makes little sense to me given they both pump waves into my ears separately. It’s a pity I’ll have to wait for a replacement S12 or Z12 but on my S12 + Qudelix I don’t feel like I miss the Variations left at home. With the Dioko, I’m still kicking myself for losing that setup.

So conclusions:
Without EQ I’d have to give the Dioko the nod as I felt the S12 and the Qudelix was complete with each other.

With a good PEQ and graphs to reference off, I vote the S12. When my replacement Q5K arrives I’ll see if I can replicate that experience with the Dioko but have a feeling this is down to the interior cavity and tubes leading the tip of both IEMs. Will update then.

Now the Dioko ain’t mine and I don’t have an S12, so what will I buy?

Since I have a Q5K (and QX Over) inbound, I think I’ll wait for the Z12 with its slight bass boost. I wish I can buy a Salnotes IEM cable as it’s the perfect fit for me.

That said keep in mind that the Dioko is $99 while without discounts a S12 + Q5K combo is $280 and all the capabilities of a 10 channel PEQ.

I think Crin wins.
My aim was to give the Dioko more time but I got a little impatient and listened side by side with the S12. No doubt the S12 has a 'bigger', airier sound. On my HiBy R5, my Hidizs S9 Pro, and another well received dongle, I have to add at least 8 steps to the volume for the Dioko to get similar volume levels. My Dioko's take a lot of driving, even 4.4mm balanced. I like the S12....a lot. I like the Dioko a lot. The Timeless was OK but my Dioko moves me more. The bass on the S12 is more immediate and very well placed relative to the midrange. The Dioko (my set) needs to be given some 'wellie' to get them to sing, but the bass does respond. These are not an easy ride and need some 'gas' to make them move. Given a bit of 'wick', they sing. The S12 is very special to me, but the Dioko needs a bit more attention and oomph to give payback. I like it a lot. Credit where credit is due though, although I'm not a fan of this scoring culture, S, B, C+, etc, he has got a very nice IEM out there, but one that takes more driving than expected, and is much better than expected. It sounds really good is very well built, struggles 3.5mm, but responds to 4.4mm, 2.5mm wellie.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #81 of 95
My aim was to give the Dioko more time but I got a little impatient and listened side by side with the S12. No doubt the S12 has a 'bigger', airier sound. On my HiBy R5, my Hidizs S9 Pro, and another well received dongle, I have to add at least 8 steps to the volume for the Dioko to get similar volume levels. My Dioko's take a lot of driving, even 4.4mm balanced. I like the S12....a lot. I like the Dioko a lot. The Timeless was OK but my Dioko moves me more. The bass on the S12 is more immediate and very well placed relative to the midrange. The Dioko (my set) needs to be given some 'wellie' to get them to sing, but the bass does respond. These are not an easy ride and need some 'gas' to make them move. Given a bit of 'wick', they sing. The S12 is very special to me, but the Dioko needs a bit more attention and oomph to give payback. I like it a lot. Credit where credit is due though, although I'm not a fan of this scoring culture, S, B, C+, etc, he has got a very nice IEM out there, but one that takes more driving than expected, and is much better than expected. It sounds really good is very well built, struggles 3.5mm, but responds to 4.4mm, 2.5mm wellie.
How would you compare the fit of the DIOKO vs S12? I was going to purchase DIOKO but I was concerned about comfort/secure fit, which led me to purchase S12 on sale ($129). I figured they would probably both sound roughly the same w/ EQing.

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #82 of 95
How would you compare the fit of the DIOKO vs S12? I was going to purchase DIOKO but I was concerned about comfort/secure fit, which led me to purchase S12 on sale ($129). I figured they would probably both sound roughly the same w/ EQing.
For me, if asked, I would have to recc the S12 over the Dioko for fit and for many other things. The S12 seems to fit most people well and like the Dioko it is well constructed. For me, the Dioko needs harder driving to get the goodies. The S12 has that MAGIC of getting across the subtleties, nuances and textures of drum skins and wound bass strings extremely well. It does bass accurately. The Dioko is not far behind, but the S12 just naturally has a bigger, airier sound. But there may be many, who with the right kit, that enjoy pushing the more midcentric, vocal ability of the Dioko. Like it's brother the Timeless, the Dioko does vocal Jazz very well. With the Dioko we have to squeeze the bass out, the S12 gives it more naturally. I enjoy having both for different parts of my music. I am still learning and burning-in the Dioko, so who knows what another 100 hours will do?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #83 of 95
I have decided to get the S12, now just waiting for the ZReviews version to be released. I'll wait until the reviews show up and choose one.

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #84 of 95
I have decided to get the S12, now just waiting for the ZReviews version to be released. I'll wait until the reviews show up and choose one.
SiriusB did a good sound comparison of Timeless and S12, that put me off the S12 as it sounds harsh in comparison. Other reviews also warned that the treble was aggressive on the S12. I prefer warm signatures so ordered the P1 Max instead, when it went on sale.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #85 of 95
SiriusB did a good sound comparison of Timeless and S12, that put me off the S12 as it sounds harsh in comparison. Other reviews also warned that the treble was aggressive on the S12. I prefer warm signatures so ordered the P1 Max instead, when it went on sale.
I have both the S12 and Timeless, in terms of fit and comfort, I can wear Timeless whole day and even forget I’m wearing it, I’ve battled with S12s cable like never before. And I’ve had to use tips from the Timeless accessories on the S12 to get a comfortable fit.

On sounds however, the S12 seems to hit harder on sub-bass, sounds faster and yes might be a bit sharper on the top end. The Timeless sounds smoother all across the range while impactful enough, so just like on how it feels to wear for me, I can also listen to it the whole day.

The S12 is a great listen when I want to put myself up on a party mood, on a Friday afternoon. Generally I’m glad to have both, currently awaiting delivery of the Dioko probably to have as a planar IEM I can always have with me on the car replacing the DD that’s currently doing service as on the road IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #86 of 95
This makes me regret my decision of selling the Timeless even more 😑

Jul 17, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #87 of 95
I have the Dioko, the Shuoer S12 and had the Timeless. They are all good, but fit and likes/dislikes will make a difference to how they are heard. The Timeless was very smooth, the smoothest of the three but had the darkest background, most often that was good and voices and instruments arrived from holographic angles and were great for Jazz vocals, Folk music etc. The S12 has a big sound.....orchestras and bands sound like there are more instruments, a bigger airier more forwards sound, more edge to instruments and voices. My version of the The Dioko needs harder driving, but although the bass, is at first listen, slightly lesser, it does then respond to a bit more balanced power. The Dioko has a very balanced sound, and unless A/B'd with the other's has enough bass to satisfy me, and I like a lot of bass. It's really down to personal taste, ear and concha fit, tips, 3.5mm or balanced, many factors will decide which is better for us. They are all good. The Dioko is very musical and balanced, the S12 very involved and has a big very spacious airy sound, and reproduces and differentiates drum skin textures and wound bass string textures amazingly. The Timeless is a master of vocals and very smooth. Sinatra and Michael Bublé have never sounded so good.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #89 of 95
I've found a really good partner for the Salnotes Dioko. The great little Hidizs S9 Pro dongle. It has 3.5mm, 2.5mm balanced. It has PLENTY power 2.5 balanced and is 'peaches and cream' with the Dioko. Surprised how the Planar Dioka responded to some oomph. Anyone who wants an under $/£100 Planar, this is a well made, solid, well tuned, musical Planar. How lucky we are with these amazing, affordable, Planars coming our way. I'm just as excited about the Cayin RU6 r2r dongle and the Hidizs S9 Pro dongle....another level of sound. Who needs a DAP when these two dongles are within grasp.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #90 of 95
For me, if asked, I would have to recc the S12 over the Dioko for fit and for many other things. The S12 seems to fit most people well and like the Dioko it is well constructed. For me, the Dioko needs harder driving to get the goodies. The S12 has that MAGIC of getting across the subtleties, nuances and textures of drum skins and wound bass strings extremely well. It does bass accurately. The Dioko is not far behind, but the S12 just naturally has a bigger, airier sound. But there may be many, who with the right kit, that enjoy pushing the more midcentric, vocal ability of the Dioko. Like it's brother the Timeless, the Dioko does vocal Jazz very well. With the Dioko we have to squeeze the bass out, the S12 gives it more naturally. I enjoy having both for different parts of my music. I am still learning and burning-in the Dioko, so who knows what another 100 hours will do?
Thanks...waiting for the S12 to arrive and will be getting a Qudelix 5K as well. I always adjust to my taste and 5K will allow for more precise changes vs using wavelet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back