Link: Beresford TC-7510 bashing and Headfi Bashing?
Nov 7, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #16 of 127
AS1, thanks for stepping up and doing what I'm sure a lot of us have been wanting to do for some time.

Herandu:

I'm a Beresford customer too (MK6, possibly doing MK6/3 mods soon), and have been silently watching the active TC-7510 threads on here and HiFiWigwam from the sidelines for quite some time.

I don't think I've seen someone with your consistently persistent, unfounded, biased zealotry in a long time. Frankly, I think it's irresponsible. I, as several others, believe you're ultimately doing the Beresford DAC a huge disservice as opposed to anything positive.

You have dozens of posts contributing to these threads, repeatedly spouting hearsay and hyperbole, but from what I can tell, you've never provided objective detailed personal sonic descriptions of the DAC or comparisons to any other gear. This is the bare minimum that can be expected from someone who wishes to be taken seriously, and you've had all of these opportunities yet continuously chosen to never do it. I also feel your connection to Stanley and support of his products, given this failure to provide an objective review and stance, constitutes a conflict of interest.

I don't want to be mean, but I just feel compelled to point out that your behaviour is peculiar, and a bit immature and embarassing for you.

Sorry for coming down hard on you man, but I think you might need a bit of "tough love", so to speak. I've seen others validly critique your behaviour, and you fail to do anything about it, so I think you ought to know that there are Beresford customers out there watching you and wishing you weren't doing some of the things you're doing.

I think you need to chill, man; seriously. Do some comparisons, do a well-thought out, objective review of the 7510 explaining its faults and all (I guarantee it has them), do something productive, but please stop this unfounded zealotry. You should contribute something useful to these threads, or else just refrain from posting. People don't like getting blind, unsubstantiated recommendations to buy a certain piece of gear, and watching that pattern happen over and over again; it makes our spidey-shenanigan-senses go crazy! As a satisfied customer of Stanley Beresford cringing over your behaviour, please reconsider your approach to this.

Sorry again for being hard. I do really appreciate the fact that you're trying to support Stanley with your dedication and fanboyism, and that's AWESOME! I'm sure you're really a great dude.

------

See my review of the TC-7510 MK6 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...99#post3417799

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #17 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by RJW1138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AS1, thanks for stepping up and doing what I'm sure a lot of us have been wanting to do for some time.

Herandu:

I don't think I've seen someone with your consistently persistent, unfounded, biased zealotry in a long time. Frankly, I think it's irresponsible. I, as several others, believe you're ultimately doing the Beresford DAC a huge disservice as opposed to anything positive.

Sorry for coming down hard on you man, but I think you might need a bit of "tough love", so to speak.

I think you need to chill, man; seriously.

Heay, I have thick skin and I can't hear you
orphsmile.gif

TBHT: what's your problem exactly? Head-fi rage? Chill out guy. Have a beer, roll a joint. But I shall follow some of the suggestions and keep things to myself. Perhaps just post some pics and no comments? Stop mentioning any mods I discover?

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #18 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
orphsmile.gif

TBHT: what's your problem exactly? Head-fi rage? Chill out guy. Have a beer, roll a joint. But I shall follow some of the suggestions and keep things to myself. Perhaps just post some pics and no comments? Stop mentioning any mods I discover?

Can we suggest that you actually go listen to some alternatives to help put things in context.
As several people have stated, we don't have a problem with the 7510, quite the contrary, for the price it has great functionality and sounds pretty good.

However, compare it to real high end gear, and it comes a bit unstuck. It simply cannot compete with really expensive gear, but then we shouldn't really expect it to for it's bargain price.
I think that we're just asking for a little more "reality" to be applied to your comments.

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 127
Quote:

orphsmile.gif

After seeing yet another of your unrealistic posts lately, I felt the need to stand up, compile all the info on the subject and slap it in your face.
evil_smiley.gif

I hope you don't take it personal.
icon10.gif

I believe enough has been said on that matter.

Regarding the mods, I don't think we'd want you to stop doing research and testing. However, I'd suggest you send those to Stanley only.
It will have two benefits. First, it will keep the info about this dac simpler, because let's face it, this dac changes version often and if there would be 'official' and 'Herandu' mods then there's a chance one might no longer see the forest for the trees.
I asked Stanley about mods for my Mk5. He actually asked me to send a picture of the inside of it. Looks like even he has trouble keeping track of versions.
Second, it might prevent mods which are announced too soon from being cancelled later, like the midrange mod.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #20 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a few comments from you:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=149
"I must point out that I have met him several times before"

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=225
From what I gather he offered to cover your cost for ordering a cable more locally. I do email him my mods in case they turn out to be worthwhile and practical to add to the production line. He even calls the latest mod the H mod.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=226
TR909: Er...wow, you were able to pinpoint which of his many orders was mine and what his email response to me was?

No, I don't. I'd say thumbs up actually. My comments were not about the technical info you give.
I clearly said you shouldn't comment about its sonic properties, or at least shouldn't do recommendations. Why?

1) because you're too closely involved with the manufacturer.
If Elias from Benchmark, or Ori would do that, they would get shot on this forum
very_evil_smiley.gif
It's actually illegal:

"A Member of the Trade may not--via the forums, Private Messaging, or Head-Fi's e-mail relay function--volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the Main Forums."

I marked "making" because didn't Stanley include a "H(erandu)" mod?
You can't deny you've got an interest in this product.
What makes you think you can get away with it??
mad.gif

2) because you don't come up with detailed comparisons. See also below.

Why is it then that we never see a detailed comparison between the Beresford and another dac from you? There should have been tons of reviews from you.
We all know the Beresford bests a lot of cdplayers. But it says nothing about where it stands against the high end dacs.
If the Beresford is that good I'd certainly expect some juicy reviews from you.

I used the word insulting because you trash the opinion of experienced people on this forum who *have* compared the Beresford with other dacs.
Examples:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...0&postcount=35
Naw sorry Herandu I like my old PS Audio Dac II better than the 7510

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...8&postcount=36
I think the beresford is a great DAC for the cash, but the Opus is certainly better (and so was the zapfiltered zhaolu I used to own).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ed#post3284537
But when OMZ kicks in, I realize this is the music that really touches me. Comparing to Beresford it is more detailed, with better instruments separation and most importantly, the sound stage is huge. I was attracted to it so much that sometimes I forgot I was doing the comparison.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=159
Yeah.. Its the new FOTM like the heed.. With ppl blowing it out of proportion as giant killers.. Remember when the Heed was comparable to the HR-2.. & having plants when the Bed first came out stating that it would blow away my DAC1 & sounds better then 2,000 DACs!! I know people want great deals, but the Bedford isn't in the class or zip code of a DAC1/Lavry10/Stello100. Yes, a good DAC for the money. Entry level audio gear.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...&postcount=174
Having listened to the tc7510 and a Lavry da10, I do not feel that the 7510 was impressive enough to make me defend my more expensive purchase. Maybe that is how you would do things, but don't go telling me that is how I/everybody would do things! The Lavry is just plain better. No ifs, and, or buts

Not to mention my own experience:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...10&postcount=6
I've tried the Beresford again after using the DAC2 for a while.
The difference is pretty embarrassing for the Beresford. The TC-7510 sounds rough, grainy and uninvolving. The DAC2 sounds two classes better.

Please remember, in these examples the TC-7510 is being compared to more expensive dacs. There's no question about the good value of the TC-7510.
It's merely to prove your ridiculous claims that it's better than the high end.

There are actually more complaints about you:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...5&postcount=51

You'll have to come up with better answers to justify your behaviour...

I have read many of these so-called comparisons and have yet to find a blind test in the group. Actually, in one case, I doubt that the reviewer actually heard the Lavry, DAC1, etc... against the Beresford, but judged it merely on price differential. I believe that high prices paid lead to "placebo effect", which is why people like to see blind tests on reviews. With a DAC, a blind test should be very easy to conduct and yet no one is doing it, but they are spouting their comparisons on the web. That is within the rules on this site, but these type of opinions should be taken with a grain of salt along with someone that is an advocate for a device.

My main point is that Herendu's opinion is just as valid as any other on this site. He does have mods that have the potential to make the device sound even better.. For me, this is more helpful than someone that says the Beresford does not sound as good as a DAC that they discarded months before buying the Beresford DAC. Anyone that has ever done a blind test knows that your sound quality memory is not nearly good enough to make a judgement like that.

Anyway, I have a Beresford, I have never done a blindtest with it, so I have no idea how it compares to other DACs. I think it offered decent value for the money and that is enough for me.

As a side note, offering a mod idea to a manufacturer does not mean that you are in the guy's pocket. Many of these type of suggestions are used by small firms looking to better their products. I used to have a similar relationship with a small company and when my ideas were used, it only made me a happier consumer. I never received any money for my input.

Nov 7, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With a DAC, a blind test should be very easy to conduct and yet no one is doing it

You assume, and that's not a scientific approach either... I've participated in a few double blind tests. They all consisted of listening to short pieces of music (30 seconds to 3 minutes) with minimal delays between the two setups, which were equalized extremely well.
The results consistently hover around 50%, which means that the group as a whole did no better than a statistical guess. That is the real science.
All we really proved is that our sonic memories are not as great as we would like to think they are. The results may have also reflected flaws of human sensory perception and/or judgement under stress.
Once you realize these facts, you have to make a logical decision.
Either we (and these were large groups!) are all idiots and can't tell any sonic differences or that the test method itself is flawed. I tend to think the latter is closer to reality.
My current approach to judging any audio gear is a long term test. Enjoying music is a psychological/emotional process and apparently has little to do with identifying short audible differences. Yet, regardless whether we understand why or not, you cannot dispute a long-term preference. Is it consistent? Maybe I need a test of long-term tests...
confused.gif

Yes, it's again an assumption which may amount to a "horrible test method", yet it's the best I know...
icon10.gif

Just my 3 cents (2 for the heck of it, 1 for doing my homework...)

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #23 of 127
I totally agree with Ori. Short tests (be they blind or not) yield nothing more than guesses. I have done some myself with cables/amps and was totally unable to distinguish significant differences. However, with long term tests (getting used to one sound for months and then changing something) I believe that the differences will be easier to notice because your ears will be more sensitive to the change. It's like driving one car for a long time and noticing that something small like replacing spark plugs, compared to changing to new spark plugs everyday. (Sorry for the bad analogy!!)

However, from personal experience I have found the Beresford Mk6 to sound a bit veiled and soft compared to my MSB Link DAC with Nelson Upgrades. Then again the Beresford is a $200 DAC and my MSB retailed at around 600-700.

I think people are just a little put off by the over zealousness of Herendu, since those kinds of statements are easily seen as marketing hype. People come to headfi (or at least I have) for honest and informative opinions of people. There is enough product hype on manufacturer websites/magazine reviews.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #24 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My main point is that Herendu's opinion is just as valid as any other on this site. He does have mods that have the potential to make the device sound even better..

Thanks for the support.
There are many people who have been experimenting on the Zhaolu as well, with other brands being left alone mod wise due to lack of anyone willing or capable of modifying them. I have done my best to improve the TC-7510 on my own as not many others have taken the time to do so. I passed on my simple and easy to implement changes to Stanley for review. I am sure my input allowed for a greatly improved product that remained more or less stable in its price range. I even suggested various type of discount offers for us on head-fi in the past so many of us could give the DAC a try on even a student budget. Right now I am trying to design a DC coupled output stage just to see how much more I can extract from the DAC. So perhaps I should start a 'Mod your Beresford' thread, and leave the reviews, blind test etc to other owners
rolleyes.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #25 of 127
Quote:

Thanks for the support.
There are many people who have been experimenting on the Zhaolu as well, with other brands being left alone mod wise due to lack of anyone willing or capable of modifying them. I have done my best to improve the TC-7510 on my own as not many others have taken the time to do so. I passed on my simple and easy to implement changes to Stanley for review. I am sure my input allowed for a greatly improved product that remained more or less stable in its price range. I even suggested various type of discount offers for us on head-fi in the past so many of us could give the DAC a try on even a student budget. Right now I am trying to design a DC coupled output stage just to see how much more I can extract from the DAC. So perhaps I should start a 'Mod your Beresford' thread, and leave the reviews, blind test etc to other owners
rolleyes.gif

I forgot that I also asked Stanley for a Headfi discount thanks to you!

As far as blind tests are concerned, if you can hear a difference when you know what A and B are and can't hear a difference when you don't know which is A and which is B, the logical conclusion is that you are being affected by your own bias...

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 127
Quote:

Regarding the mods, I don't think we'd want you to stop doing research and testing. However, I'd suggest you send those to Stanley only....

I have no idea what's been going on in this thread (or others) but I read this nonsense and felt compelled to post.

Have I missed something here? Does "AS1" now own/run Head-Fi?

"...send those to Stanley only"

Are you serious?

You don't want Herandu to post his mods to the board? Because the number of models will confuse you? Or because the rate of upgrade is too high?

Are you that threatened by the TC7510, that you want to limit its presence on the board? When did you become moderator?

Un-believable.

EK

PS: I sold my TC7510 MK6 just recently. Found the integrated amp excessively noisy and the power supply was just frightening. Not for me.

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #27 of 127
Quote:

You are close friends with Stanley and you are recommending his DAC.

And???

There are other members (respected members) on the board that know audio manufacturers personally. Are you suggesting that none of them are allowed to recommend products made by their "friends"? Are you suggesting that anyone who has had any personal contact with any manufacturer, however insignificant, should be treated as MOT?

Quote:

Please stop it and let only neutral people do the recommendations!

"Neutral people"?

Please point some out.
rolleyes.gif

EK

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #28 of 127
I have seen some highly respected Head-fi members give a good positive review of the Beresford DAC. Herandu is a fanboy and take his advise with that knowledge. Often he is right on about this DAC. It seems that Beresford bashing often turns into Herandu bashing and that is not very fair for this fine DAC. AS1 seems to be the worst in this regard....but everyone has an opinion and easy enough for me to ignore.

Nov 8, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #29 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by alleyezon_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with Ori. Short tests (be they blind or not) yield nothing more than guesses.

Short blind tests are often overrated by those who want to believe in 'scientific' testing, but realizing this is no reason for hyperbole in the opposite direction. Short tests are ideal for showing large differences, for the same reason they are bad for small ones: once the ear grows accustomed to a signature, it corrects for it to make it sound closer to flat. The short test doesn't allow time for that process.

For sure, though, the smaller fine points that distinguish between components of roughly the same quality and really tell us which one suits us better are most clearly revealed by the test you mention: switching back to the old sound after growing used to the new one. Your ear will give you an instant verdict that cannot be appealed: that annoying moment of realizing you can't go back. One of those great things about audio.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #30 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My current approach to judging any audio gear is a long term test. Enjoying music is a psychological/emotional process and apparently has little to do with identifying short audible differences.

I completely agree with this. It's my experience that long term listening is the way to tell differences. The difference between my TC-7510 and DAC2 was easy when I first heard the DAC2 and also when I went back to the TC-7510.
There are actually other areas where the same applies.
Example: I have a car with a V6 engine. In Europe cars most cars have 4 cylinder engines. V6's run notably smoother than 4 cyls.
When I occasionally drive a 4 cyl car I immediately notice the difference at startup and when accelerating. The same when going back to my own car. Those are the times I really appreciate my own car. After a while I get used to it again so it becomes less obvious how good it is. I'm sure if I would drive both type of cars daily things will get harder to distinguish.
I believe this is why A/B tests only work when differences are gross.

Another interesting experience: I had a Little Dot Micro Tube. I loved the way it looks. I was convinced it should be better than the soundcard. First listen was a bit disappointing but I listened to it for a long time to get used to it.
I slowly got a feeling the balance wasn't right. Then I listened to my modded soundcard (OPA2107) again. I was shocked. The soundcard outperformed the MT. Indeed better balance on the soundcard.
As much as I wanted to like the MT, the sound told me otherwise.

If the Beresford would be special I think I would have noticed and I would be the first to tell it here. I have no interest in bringing down the Beresford.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back