[Limited Review] Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones
Dec 10, 2014 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tuckers

100+ Head-Fier
I recently got two IEMs to try out.  The Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ears and the RHA T10i.  I wanted something to improve upon my RHA MA750is which I really love. For other headphones I also have the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime and the Original Audeze LCD-2s.  

My whole reason for an IEM headphone is to have a great experience of music in the gym (I spend about 12 hours a week in the gym), when traveling, and commuting.  So my review is solely based on performance in that environment, and mostly directly out of my LG Nexus 5 phone. I spent very little time with them with an external amp, or listening to a desktop system.  

My Requirements

Requirements for me are great sound quality, and I prefer close to what is usually called 'reference' sound, but with a bit of a V shape with a sparkly treble, air, and deep but tight bass, I like the treble to have some bite when called for. I also require big dynamics and detail.  The MA750i has what I consider a near perfect sound signature for a value priced IEM.  It's got a good treble with good air (though it's not that refined), very clear midrange, great dynamics, and incredible powerful deep and perfectly tight bass.  Its bass performance is stellar, and better than I have heard for much much more.  

I also require something well built enough to last through workouts, something that fits in the ear well, blocks enough external sound, and does not have noticeable microphonics. The earphones efficiency is also important so I can get really loud sound levels without amplification.   What is not important to me is packaging, looks, over the top fit and finish.

I have run the earphones for over 150 hours in order to get proper burn in.  And the C5s sounded VERY different straight out of the box than after about 100 hours on them.  Out of the box they had a strong midrange component, and very strong bass, but very pleasant. Over burn in the bass actually reduced some, and got much tighter and tuneful.  The highs came in, and a tremendous amount of detail.  Usually new earphones have rough treble and have a grainy quality, these did not. 

Fit and Finish

The C5s look very nice.  The cord is very slim and doesn't tangle easily.  They are pretty small.  While I had no problem with their build, they just feel and look like they are not built to last in a rough environment.  My impression is probably really influenced by the RHA 750 and T10i earphones which are built like tanks.  But they could be really tough earphones, that's just an impression I got from them.

They have this little loop that is supposed to fit in your ear above the main body and keep the phone in place and reduce microphonics.  In practice though with my ears (which are pretty normal sized for a man) they did the opposite and the fit really ruined what was otherwise a very appealing headphone.  I want to say first that I tried every combination of the supplied tips extensively, and I tried a set of Comply T4s.  The medium tips that came installed on the earphones fit me the best by far of all other combinations.  The Complys made a great fit, but the sound quality became dull and tubby sounding.  I spent an endless time fiddling with the loop.  It never worked for me.  No matter how I molded it, the ring would actually push the earphones out of my ears over the course of a few minutes.  I would touch the earphones every minute of so adjust them for sound quality or falling out of my ears.  None of the tips helped.  The ring also had this strange effect that the sound tonality would change dramatically when my head was tipped up or tipped down.  All earphones do this to some degree, but with these it was a glaring problem.  Head up the sound would become light and treble focused, head down bass heavy and rolled off treble.  I tried  holding the cables so the pull of the cables wouldn't affect them, and that didn't work.  I ensured that the seal of the tips was not changing, but that didn't work.  The other problem with the ring is that it introduced a lot of microphonics to the sound. This was from the direct interaction of the loop with my ear,  movement caused rubbing, which came through loud and clear. 

Finally I tried removing the loop (you can take it off one side of the main body).  The earphones then can be worn down or with the cable over the ears.    This improved the sound quality dramatically, but wearing them down resulted in more microphonics.  Over the ear was the best sound quality and pretty good at reducing microphonics.  But the plastic the loop part of the cable is not a memory plastic, and as much as I bent it to fit an over the ear configuration, it would not really stay.  Resulting in me fiddling again with the earphones every minute (or more) to push them in my ears deeper or to try to push the loop cable back into the right shape.  The earphones were constantly moving, and so the sound quality was constantly changing.  Microphonics, except when worn over the ear was bad. 

In terms of blocking out outside sounds, the medium tips did an excellent job, they may be the best isolating earphones I have tried. 

In conclusion about fit and finish, all this pretty much made this earphone a fail for me.  Which is a pity because the sound quality I was getting out of them when they were aligned just right was really impressive.  Maybe my ears are shaped in a way that can't work with this system, but the shape of my outer ears is pretty standard really.  

Sound Quality 

When everything was aligned properly, the sound quality of these earphones was very good.  They were a noticeable improvement over the MA750is.  They really are close to what they call reference sound, with maybe a slight emphasis on the midrange. They do not have a V curve.  They have a very wide and natural soundstage, considerably wider than the RHA headphones. They have a very powerful bass, that at times is a bit too overpowering.  It is fairly tight, but has a bit of a mid bass hump.  Bass instruments are really physically big with the C5s, they take up the whole soundstage and sometimes take over the mix just in terms of size.  However, this seems to be an issue with all IEMs that  I hear compared to really good full sized headphones.  They don't have the speed and detail of the lower bass that the MA750i's have though.  Overall though it was very satisfying even for someone like me that loves a good bass line.  Bass of course varied a lot depending on how deep in the ear the tips go, and as the tips never stayed put in my ears, it was changing a lot with these phones.  Treble is good.  There is no treble glare like with a lot of IEMs with single metal drivers. It is smooth and reasonably extended, there is some air, but its' not going to win awards for airiness. The treble does lack the energy and sizzle that is sometime required in music. But the treble is also very revealing.  The midrange is excellent.  These earphones really shine a light on the midrange and vocals, guitar strings, horns etc, come through with beautiful clarity, but without sharp edges.  This brings me to the best part of the earphone which is the combination of the midrange, the treble, the soundstage  and the extraordinary detail.  These combine to really make me smile.  I hear more details presented in a natural unforced way than I have ever heard in an IEM.  Vocals are a bit more forward to what I am used to, but that's not a bad thing at all in the context of the whole, I would call it a strength.  Overall they present music in a very cohesive way that few earphones can improve upon.  They are plenty efficient to be driven by my phone, but they are a bit less efficient than my RHA earphones. 

The one thing I wish these earphones could do is roar.  This is what the MA750i do so well, and why I love them.  Sometimes I really like to rock out, two tracks that are good examples of this Billy Idol's White Wedding, and the Pretenders Tattooed Love Boys. The guitars here can really cut through the track light up the music with big dynamic jangling notes.   The C5 is just not quite up to the task with that, its' a bit too polite and reserved compared to the very best I have heard.   For some reason this is really important to me, it's what gives me goose bumps when I listen.  I got those goose bumps less often compared to listening to these tracks through the MA750i.  

Comparisons

Spending time with the C5 and the MAT10i really showed me something much better than the MA750is in terms of sound quality on a number of fronts. If the C5s fit my ears and didn't have microphonic problems, they would definitely replace my MA750is.  They are an improvement in all areas except for overall dynamic swing and bite for rock and roll, and the deep deep reach of the incredibly tight bass of the MA750is (which I think is unique for them).  

The T10i's have several problems, they are overly sweet and smooth, and don't have much bite, midrange and vocals are shelved down in the mix, and the treble is not as extended (fixed somewhat by the teble mod they provide).  The T10is also have a much narrower soundstage and lack a general cohesion of the music (room ambience for instance is there but it's not delineated).  I can't decide between the bass on the T10i or the C5, they are both excellent, I think the C5 is faster though and has more detail.  The t10i's are the best fitting IEMs I have tried too.  The T10is do not isolate as well as the C5 does either. 

Conclusion

This was a frustrating process for me, because the C5 gave me a glimpse into a much higher quality sound experience, but the ergonomics absolutely didn't work for me.  The C5s have a very neutral detailed and engaging sound in a wide soundstage, I wish I had that sound quality in something that fit as well at the T10i's or MA750is.  To that end, I have taken a leap and have ordered the DITA The Answer IEMs.  I'm hoping I can get even better sound quality in a form that will fit my needs better.  

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Wow surprised at how little talk there is about this IEM. I caved and bought a pair while my Z5 is out for repairs.

Have to say these are nice and certainly different from my Z5. I notice a much stronger upper midrange. It makes strings, vocals, and certain sounds pop out a lot more than what I have grown used to. It makes the C5 seem more detailed but I think I prefer the more balanced Z5 approach. Bass on the Z5 also is deeper and for me a bit more nuanced than the C5 but the C5 has a bit more impact. The C5 is not as 3D sounding But certainly is better than a lot of headphones. The C5 is slightly more isolating though but is also a lot more microphonic.

At this point I am not sure I will keep the C5 much past when I get my Z5 back. But I may change my mind by then as these do offer a nice change up from the more laid back sound of the Z5. They might also be a better choice for low volume listening with its more energetic qualities.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi Tuckers, thanks for your review and comparison.

I'm searching for a good pair of IEMs in a reasonable price range without breaking my bank. I owned a pair of Shure SE 215s with an inline remote cable for last 4 years. While I did enjoy the clarity and clean sound from SE215s I always thought they were lacking the dynamic low end punch...low on bass. Unfortunately I lost that pair recently on a train:sob:. So I'm looking for something which has tight bass, wide sound stage, good range across lows, mids and highs with crisp clear punchy sound quality which will sound fun. Not looking to spend more than 180-200$. 

To tell more about myself and preferences, I'm not an audiophile but I do enjoy good quality music. I listen to different genres hip hop, techno, digital/electronic, fusion, melodies, and list goes on... Mostly modern music.

So I've done quite a bit of search on the web and came up with couple of options which could fit my bill. Bowers and Wilkins C5 Series2 ($180) and RHA MA750i ($130). Both these have a inline mic/remote which is a must for me as I intend to use them on my iPhone 6plus. I've read some user experiences online with C5s having issues with the durability/build quality. A few people have complained the C5s broke down (one of the driver going out) after a few months of use. Although they are covered for 2yrs under warranty I would like to have something which can last 3-4 yrs at least without breaking down. How are they holding up for you?

I haven't heard or auditioned either one of those IEMs mentioned above (not available for demo in India), so may be you could help me choose. Also pls feel free to recommend any other options which you think will suit my described needs/preferences/budget.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or feedback.
Thanks

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 8
Nice review, I enjoyed reading it.

I have to first versions and think they are great, still use them at home. The cables are horrible now though. They have gone green, in the inside, rather than the outside as I've tried cleaning them many times now. I won't use them when I go out.

Looking to get the S2s at the end of the month as they now have black cables rather than the clear. 

May 7, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi Tuckers, thanks for your review and comparison.

I'm searching for a good pair of IEMs in a reasonable price range without breaking my bank. I owned a pair of Shure SE 215s with an inline remote cable for last 4 years. While I did enjoy the clarity and clean sound from SE215s I always thought they were lacking the dynamic low end punch...low on bass. Unfortunately I lost that pair recently on a train:sob:. So I'm looking for something which has tight bass, wide sound stage, good range across lows, mids and highs with crisp clear punchy sound quality which will sound fun. Not looking to spend more than 180-200$. 

To tell more about myself and preferences, I'm not an audiophile but I do enjoy good quality music. I listen to different genres hip hop, techno, digital/electronic, fusion, melodies, and list goes on... Mostly modern music.

So I've done quite a bit of search on the web and came up with couple of options which could fit my bill. Bowers and Wilkins C5 Series2 ($180) and RHA MA750i ($130). Both these have a inline mic/remote which is a must for me as I intend to use them on my iPhone 6plus. I've read some user experiences online with C5s having issues with the durability/build quality. A few people have complained the C5s broke down (one of the driver going out) after a few months of use. Although they are covered for 2yrs under warranty I would like to have something which can last 3-4 yrs at least without breaking down. How are they holding up for you?

I haven't heard or auditioned either one of those IEMs mentioned above (not available for demo in India), so may be you could help me choose. Also pls feel free to recommend any other options which you think will suit my described needs/preferences/budget.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or feedback.
Thanks

I have the RHA MA750i and my iPhone 6 Plus as my DAP and they are a great pair. I had the Harman Kardon AE previously and the 750's just blew them out of the water despite being cheaper. As per durability issues, both IEM's include longer than a year of warranty so that is an insurance. As stated repeatedly in the review above, the B&W's secure loop is a hit or miss. This is the main reason why I'm holding off to purchase a B&W pair since my RHA's are extremely comfortable. Not to mention they come with a plethora of ear tips.

Sound wise, I believe the 750's offer beyond it's price with a wide soundstage (for an in-ear), great instrument separation, and the build quality is just topnotch.

May 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the RHA MA750i and my iPhone 6 Plus as my DAP and they are a great pair. I had the Harman Kardon AE previously and the 750's just blew them out of the water despite being cheaper. As per durability issues, both IEM's include longer than a year of warranty so that is an insurance. As stated repeatedly in the review above, the B&W's secure loop is a hit or miss. This is the main reason why I'm holding off to purchase a B&W pair since my RHA's are extremely comfortable. Not to mention they come with a plethora of ear tips.

Sound wise, I believe the 750's offer beyond it's price with a wide soundstage (for an in-ear), great instrument separation, and the build quality is just topnotch.

Thanks Gerard for sharing your thoughts. Yep I've been trying to read a lot about RHA products and all I hear is only good reviews. Everyone says they are built like tanks. So durability shouldn't be a concern with RHA I suppose. I'm now leaning more towards RHA T10is which look even better than 750s. The selection of 3 different filters make them unique. Have u had experience comparing 750s with T10s? I'm not an audiophile by any means but would definitely enjoy good music from good pair of IEMs which can sound fun, clear, crisp and have some thump.

Thanks,

May 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 8
The T10s have bass predominant in them. Using the treble filter makes it sound natural i.e brings out the highs ...Am from India too Dileep...Guess you could look into Final Audio Design IV, NOCS NS800, among others.....

May 8, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 8
  The T10s have bass predominant in them. Using the treble filter makes it sound natural i.e brings out the highs ...Am from India too Dileep...Guess you could look into Final Audio Design IV, NOCS NS800, among others.....

Thanks mate for your suggestions. I was almost on the verge order T10i's when I started browsing the RHA website and saw that they are about to release T20s. I'm looking forward to hear some reviews about that soon. Lately, I'm more and more sold to RHA for their shear build quality which I heard from many is like tanks. Hope the T20s have a great sound and also have a 'i' version and they are reasonably priced. My search and purchase plans of IEM will be on hold for now...Keeping fingers crossed for T20 "i"...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back