Lime Ears Aether R universal world premiere!
Apr 15, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #31 of 66

Thanks for sharing this, Piotr! I just published the full article on TheHeadphoneList.com, and here's an excerpt from the Lime Ears section:

Lime Ears

Accompanying Custom Art on their flight were compatriots: Lime Ears. Lime Ears have always held a special place in my heart for popping my flagship cherry, so to speak. So, seeing them year after year and goofing around with their head honcho, Emil Stolecki, always makes for a wonderful time. This year, they brought a refresh of their flagship Aether called the Aether R. Featuring an additional driver for headroom and a slight tuning tweak, here are my thoughts.

CJSG-LE-CA-1-copy.jpg

Lime Ears Aether R: The Aether R thankfully maintains the Lime Ears house sound through and through. Heaps of clarity and air resonate within its soundscape, paired with a natural, well-balanced and sufficiently-bodied timbre. Among all of Lime Ears’ previous models, I feel they’ve made major strides in spatial performance. The depth that the original Aether had is now paired with stronger resolution, so that distance does not translate to detachment. And, image stability, left-right separation and background blackness all mark career-highs for Lime Ears, due to high extension and coherency.

The balance between the upper-mids and treble is excellent. Vocals sound like they flow from the chest to the mouth in an even-handed, smooth and linear manner. There is more energy towards the upper-registers, so the fuller harmonics sound more laid-back. Hi-hats, cymbals and snare drums continue to be highlight instruments, as they crackle and pop with immense clarity, and zero fatigue. The extra low-end driver intended to add headroom has delivered too. The bass comes across more nimble. Personally, I would’ve loved more warmth to bind the image a hair. Adding a couple dB’s to both the switch down and switch up modes wouldn’t have hurt, especially considering how flat switch down is down low.

CJSG-LE-CA-2-copy.jpg

All in all, the Aether R succeeds in what it ultimately set out to do: Maintain that gorgeous Lime Ears house sound and package it in a technically-capable, well-defined and transparent soundscape. Being frank, I do have a bias towards their signature tone, so take it with a grain of salt when I say the Aether R is perhaps my favourite all-rounder among the many I’ve heard recently. And without a shadow of a doubt, I absolutely can’t wait to hear the Aether R in custom form.

I'm also glad to announce that the Aether R has taken home a CanJam Cup award! It's one of three in-ears from CanJam SG 2019 to receive the Do-All Good-All award, which recognises the most charming, fun and versatile monitors at the show. Congrats @Lime Ears! :D

CanJam Cup 2019.002.jpeg

Apr 15, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #32 of 66

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #33 of 66
Jul 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #38 of 66
Thanks!

To get some initial impression, how does it sound comparing warbler prelude, hyla ce5, earsonics purple (I don't know whether you've tried this one), s-em9 if you don't mind?

I can't comment on the CE5, but the R has the signature Lime Ears balance between clarity and body; neither as full and warm as the Prelude, nor as crisp and clean as the Purple. It's quite well-rounded with a slightly forward upper-midrange, a fun-yet-composed bass and a clear, refined treble. The top-end is a bit calmer here than on the original Aether and Model X for a bit more body to the treble note, rather than just crisp clarity. But, extension, imaging and resolution is noticeably best on the R.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #39 of 66

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #40 of 66
Guys, I'm happy to inform you that now we are offering many more premium and completely new signature designs!

Have a look at them up close:

We have just introduced these options in our shop for all custom models: https://limeears.com/shop/
Premium colours cost 40 EUR per side, signature - 100 EUR per side.

P.S.
Just as a reminder, these are currently available basic colours:
Beautiful

Jul 17, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #41 of 66
So, the sound impressions I promised are finally here! I just started a brand new series on THL called A First Look, which is where I'll be posting my early impressions of a product in lieu of the full review. Featured on the very first instalment are four brand-new flagship CIEMs, including Lime Ears' very own Aether R! I've copied-and-pasted its section below exclusively for the thread, but if you’re interested in checking out the full article on THL - featuring Empire Ears' Wraith, Vision Ears’ Elysium and HUM’s Dolores - you can click the link here: https://theheadphonelist.com/a-first-look-new-flagships/ Cheers! :D

A First Look: Lime Ears Aether R
The Lime Ears Aether R is a 2019 revision of their much-acclaimed flagship Aether. It maintains all of the original’s bells and whistles – including VariBore, TrueSub and a bass boost switch – whilst adding an additional balanced armature for a six-driver set-up in total. This extra driver is delegated to the lows for increased bass headroom. Respectably priced at the same €1200, the R is as effective an Aether successor, as it is a balanced, resolving entry into the overall TOTL space.

AetherR-1.jpg

Technical Specifications
  • Driver count: Six balanced-armature drivers
  • Impedance: N/A
  • Sensitivity: N/A
  • Key feature(s) (if any): Switchable bass response, VariBore, TrueSub
  • Available form factor(s): Custom and universal acrylic IEMs
  • Price: €1200

Sound Impressions

The Aether R is a well-balanced piece with an infectiously engaging personality. In true Lime Ears fashion, instruments loom large with a perfect blend of body and definition, set upon a crystal clear backdrop that immerses you head-first into the music. The Aether R is definitely a put-you-in-the-middle-of-the-band sort of piece, rather than one that puts you in the studio control room observing the performance from a distance. The more upfront instrument positioning says as much. Strict analysis isn’t necessarily discouraged, but you’ll be hard-pressed to do so once you’re toe-tapping and head-bobbing to the R’s unified, cohesive, wall-of-sound presentation, and its lightly warm, smooth and gorgeously clear tone.

AetherR-2.jpg

The Aether R’s low-end is appropriately big-sounding; large in surface area like the rest of the ensemble. However, the R possesses a much larger degree of control over its predecessor. Notes are allowed a touch of wetness and resonance, but they never bloom or muddy. This results in a low-end that’s never clinical or lean, but never overstays its welcome either. This is particularly beneficial for bass clarity, which the R thrives in. Impact too never oversteps its boundaries, providing a rhythmic drive, but allowing the lead instrument (i.e. the upper-mids) to have the spotlight at all times. And, with bass boost engaged, you get meatier lows for that extra kick should you ever need it for the mood, genre or mix.

The midrange is pushed ever-so-slightly forward for – again – that immersive, larger-than-life, unified response. Unlike the original, the mids here are substantial, well-put-together and resolving; exhibiting none of the wispiness or haziness that plagued the 2015 version. Balance here is maintained expertly as well. Instruments never sound awkward; neither honky nor sucked-out. It’s a linear, resolving response that imbues all sorts of instruments with a wet, smooth and clear presence. And, it’s saturated just enough to ensure those instruments are as three-dimensional as possible. Finally, add wonderful separation and layering to the mix and you have yourself a proficient, immensely-lovable midrange to savour.

AetherR-3.jpg

Treble is an aspect Lime Ears never seem to flub, and that streak continues here, albeit in a way unique to their previous offerings. Compared to the Aether and Model X, there seems to be a slightly softer edge to the top-end. The Aether R’s is noticeably the most linear. There’s a maturity to it that pays attention to qualities like body and texture, rather than the raw, sparkly clarity the previous models focused on. As fun as the latter may be, I think more seasoned listeners will find more substance with this thicker, wetter response. Cymbals have roundedness, rather than just a sharp, metallic sheen. And, that’s not to mention the Aether R’s massive leap in extension, stability and imaging compared to its predecessor.

Initial Comparisons

Lime Ears Aether

The main difference between the two are in the upper-mids. The original is more clearly u-shaped with neutral vocals, while the R pushes them forward for clarity and presence. The Aether R’s thicker, wetter top-end has seemingly less cut than its predecessor. But, once you listen to the two more intently, the revision is the clear victor when it comes to sheer transparency. The original’s less capable extension simply cannot hold the image as stably as its successor can. A lack of dynamic range becomes really palpable over time. At first listen, the original’s stage seems larger and airier. But, that vastness slowly turns into distance. The bass, though more guiltily fun on the original, is more resolving on the R as well.

AetherR-4.jpg

Jul 21, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #43 of 66

Users who are viewing this thread

Back