Like the Shure SRH940 The 840 Cracks too!
Feb 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

whoelse

500+ Head-Fier

Really I do like these headphones, but the material is really bad! If there were stress point I have little to complain but most of these cracks are not even on any stress point. It seems like the material itself either dry up and cracks or it is so bad that it crack when age. Look at them, it usually occurs on round edges which means the material do not hold up on area that molded into round off shape.

The other part of material disintegrated like no other business. My headband pleather is a sad sight to see. I have no headphones that cracks or have disintegrated material. The customer services by Shure is no friendly too.

Another example:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/543499/broken-srh840s-help

I do love them but will not buy any Shure headphones again until they have improve on the material. Customer service I might still live with it though.

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 21
I've owned my pair of SRH 840s going on 2 years now. I've literally tossed them in my backpack the entire time and would not have been surprised at all if it was scratched up, broken or had other issues. My pair has suffered no fatalic catastrophies the like of which your pairs have.

Your experience, though, sucks. I'm sorry that you had a bad pair.

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
I've owned my pair of SRH 840s going on 2 years now. I've literally tossed them in my backpack the entire time and would not have been surprised at all if it was scratched up, broken or had other issues. My pair has suffered no fatalic catastrophies the like of which your pairs have.

Your experience, though, sucks. I'm sorry that you had a bad pair.

That is good for you. I like the SQ of SRH840 is better than my previous favorite MS2i (my favorite now is HD650) although I still like the MS2i. I take good care of my things, my 840 never even leave home and stay on my work desk. In fact I took care of my things and most my childhood toys are still in good condition stored for sentimental value that I had for over 40 years :)

I dun care about the cosmetic, as long as the 840 can hold up 1 piece I do not care. I just apply some super glue to seal the crack and hope it will stop it from developing further.

I was quite surprise to see it. I didn't know it was there until I inspect them today.

By the way, how is the KNS8400? I heard it is very good. How is it compare with the 840?

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 21
I have also had my 750DJ's for quite some time also throwing them around in my backpack on campus and mine are still in mint condition. Perhaps all these issues came from a specific batch.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 21
i had sucessfully fixed my friend's srh940 with superglue, earlier attempts with nails and duct tape had failed
redface.gif

sucks to see the srh840 if yours be in such a bad shape
frown.gif
 they simply put too many hinges and with too weak materials on it

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
i had sucessfully fixed my friend's srh940 with superglue, earlier attempts with nails and duct tape had failed
redface.gif

sucks to see the srh840 if yours be in such a bad shape
frown.gif
 they simply put too many hinges and with too weak materials on it

too many small parts but i think the material is really bad. mine is more than 2yrs and i never expected this..

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
That is good for you. I like the SQ of SRH840 is better than my previous favorite MS2i (my favorite now is HD650) although I still like the MS2i. I take good care of my things, my 840 never even leave home and stay on my work desk. In fact I took care of my things and most my childhood toys are still in good condition stored for sentimental value that I had for over 40 years :)

I dun care about the cosmetic, as long as the 840 can hold up 1 piece I do not care. I just apply some super glue to seal the crack and hope it will stop it from developing further.

I was quite surprise to see it. I didn't know it was there until I inspect them today.

By the way, how is the KNS8400? I heard it is very good. How is it compare with the 840?

It is significantly lighter, and was much more comfortable than my 840s. The sound of the 8400 was also pretty damn good. However, the 840s are bricks to me-heavy and bulky but indestructable. Also, it has a fuller sound, which is great for classical, jazz. I prefer the sound of the 8400 for metal and rock though simply because it has a kick to it. It just sounds much more lively and upbeat. That's just from my ears, though.

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 21
Of course there are many Shure headphones that has no cracks but there are too many that has cracks especially places that has no stress point. It if is cause by material fatigue it is related to usage but if it is on places that has no or little stress point it is all about material use. It could be batches problem though. Mine does't affect usage and if I didn't specifically check them I didn't notice it in that hidden spot. I apply glue to seal the gap from further developing into larger crack and it is hidden inside of view. I am still not very please with the material use and they are definately not  indestructable.

Eg. the headband jointing the plastic assembly where the cable was extended to the earcups were hold on to the plastic with double-sided tape. When the pleather disintegrated it will be separated with small gap. Exposing cable near the earcups are potential weakness but to be fair, many others have the same design and it is do away on the SRH940. Nothing too much to comment on the plastic material they use since there are many complains on cracking issues.

All to all, I like their sound quality and I guess a headphones that last a good few years has depleted it's invested value (?).

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 21
I knew of the hinge problem before I bought the SRH940, so that is why I bought a used one for $200.
I have cracks in my SRH940 now and I'm just waiting for them to break.  I will then do a driver transplant into a used SRH440.  I feel stupid now giving my SRH440's away.  They had metal hinges and survived my punishment.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
I knew of the hinge problem before I bought the SRH940, so that is why I bought a used one for $200.
I have cracks in my SRH940 now and I'm just waiting for them to break.  I will then do a driver transplant into a used SRH440.  I feel stupid now giving my SRH440's away.  They had metal hinges and survived my punishment.

Truth, I also don't understand why many cheaper model are better than than their own higher end model. Maybe in term of material or they expect them to break and replace with newer model? If that is so, bad marketing as people might go other brand? Nah, some little rant.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 21
How to fix the crack problem: Get beyerdynamic headband. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #13 of 21
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have the SRH840 - both hinges have eventually snapped over a period of two years.

I really liked the sound of these headphones, but I'm unwilling to buy Shure again because of this obvious quality control issue that others have also experienced.

Can anyone recommend a replacement in the same price range that has a similar soundstage, good comfort, closed back and (if possible) detachable cable - but importantly - has good build quality and take a bit of punishment?

They will be used with media players, so they must be able to be driven by such devices without too much difficulty.

Was thinking k550/551's or M50's - other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have the SRH840 - both hinges have eventually snapped over a period of two years.

I really liked the sound of these headphones, but I'm unwilling to buy Shure again because of this obvious quality control issue that others have also experienced.

Can anyone recommend a replacement in the same price range that has a similar soundstage, good comfort, closed back and (if possible) detachable cable - but importantly - has good build quality and take a bit of punishment?

They will be used with media players, so they must be able to be driven by such devices without too much difficulty.

Was thinking k550/551's or M50's - other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

It's too bad you asked this today, when the X1 drop just ended on Massdrop. The M50 isn't really an upgrade, I have the 840 currently and I sold my M50. The M50 has more bass, but I found that's the only place it exceeds the 840. I've never had the K550/551's so I can't comment on those.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #15 of 21
That's a shame.. ah well

To be honest, aside from the build quality, I'm really happy with the SRH840's. I would just be satisfied with an equivalent that won't break.

Any other ideas, or will the M50 suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back