Lightning Cables - Official and Custom (welcomed).
May 3, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #211 of 214
Yeah, that option would have you double amping; it would be nice to avoid, if possible...
I’m not sure that would be double-amping… two thoughts:

Line out is simply an output with amplification but no potentiometer or other components used to vary the voltage output… usually, 2 Vrms. A Digital to Analog converter will still have an analog section and a line-level amplified output. I used a iPod 30-pin to female line-out adapter (also from FiiO) back in the day, which used the DAC and line output of the iPod and simply bridged the pins to the female TRS rings. I could then use any male tipped cable to connect a headphone amplifier or active speakers to the line-out, and I was good to go.

The second thought: While the iPod had a DAC and amp with some of the pins dedicated to a line-out, the lightning connector on modern iPhones and iPads is a digital, data only connection. The lightning port isn’t providing any DAC or line-out stage, so you need a DAC. Apple’s $9 headphone adapter IS just a DAC/amp with a line-out; I believe the volume is controlled digitally instead of in the analog domain, specifically because apple wanted the dongle to double as a line-out.

So, if you have the dongle, just use it with the phone set at max or near max volume, and control the output volume with your headphone amp.

I’m actually excited to use my new iPad Air with USB-C as a source for my $2400 desktop DAC/amp, by just connecting directly through USB. Since the DAC/amp is wall powered, it doesn’t draw much power from the source iPad, and the iPad is battery powered for very low power noise and EMI, _plus_ iOS by default has a bit perfect digital output… it sounds slightly better than from my Mac’s USB output! An iPad or iPhone connected to a Mojo 2 or Hugo 2 and then high end headphones or a power amp for speakers is a very real high quality setup now!

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #212 of 214
This thread is the most likely place to post this question, so here goes.

I have an older Audi with a device (think it was made by Parrot) that connects an old school iphone 30 pin to the stereo. I think it circumvents the Satellite inputs on the stock car receiver. We were able to to use an Apple 30 pin femaile to lightning adaptor for lightning equipped iphones. But now the iphones are USB-C. We tried an off the shelf lightning to USB-C cable but it did not work. It would appear that most of the cables of this sort only carry power.

So how would one connect from a 30 pin to the new iphones? The cable would need to be 30 pin female on one end, and USB-C male on the other. Could a custom cable be made that would do this? If so where would one go for such a thing?

Right now we are just using a FM transmitter, but that is not ideal from a sound quality point of view. Changing out the head unit could be done, but that is a target for theft as the car is parked on the street in Chicago most of the time.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back