Light Harmonic GEEK
Sep 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #47 of 1,658
I wish I knew it worked with tablets. Debating if I should cancel my order. I rarely use my laptop.

It needs power and in early comments in kickstarter it did not sound like a tablet could power it. That even assumed the tablet was outputting audio through its micro USB, which does not appear to be standardized with Android devices.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #48 of 1,658
I wish I knew it worked with tablets. Debating if I should cancel my order. I rarely use my laptop.

It was tested with an iPad + CCK.  It worked, but external power was necessary.  No word on Android, which is a mess as far as consistency of USB audio implementation.  Most likely the GEEK will draw too much power.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #49 of 1,658
Damn i missed the 99$ stage,and I can't afford anything over 99$ so i'm doomed,i guess i'll have to keep using my laptop's crappy sound card
triportsad.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #50 of 1,658
Well you've got 4 days to save additional 60$ (that's 15$ a day). 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #53 of 1,658

According to Larry, yes! You can use something like this:

http://www.sears.com/apricorn-usb-power-adapter-y-cable-ausb-y/p-00323550000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00323550000&kispla=00323550000P

If you really wanted to try something try this:

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

I use it with my PWD.

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #55 of 1,658
I currently use an iMod with an e12 Amp.
For my desktop/work setup I use an AudioGD 15.32.

I would be wanting to get the SuperDuper Geek to replace the AudioGD at work to power my Mad Dog's and in turn my Alpha Dogs once they are released.

Obviously the Geek wont compare to the AudioGD for pure power, however how close to the e12 would it be, given the t50rp's are 50ohm phones?

Also I have looked around for the sonic characteristics of the TI DAC however I come up empty.  How does it sound?

Thanks.

Scott

Sep 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #56 of 1,658

It was tested with an iPad + CCK.  It worked, but external power was necessary.  No word on Android, which is a mess as far as consistency of USB audio implementation.  Most likely the GEEK will draw too much power.

The officially announced it will work with Android in their latest update. Even more excited now.

Also if anyone in Toronto (or even Canada) wants to jump in on a lower bracket, I got in at the $139 bracket and I can always add to my order. It's $20 to ship regardless of how many units you order so we will also split the shipping costs. PM me if interested!

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #57 of 1,658

The officially announced it will work with Android in their latest update. Even more excited now.

Also if anyone in Toronto (or even Canada) wants to jump in on a lower bracket, I got in at the $139 bracket and I can always add to my order. It's $20 to ship regardless of how many units you order so we will also split the shipping costs. PM me if interested!

They got it to work with a single phone.  I wouldn't get too excited until more handsets and tablets are tested.  Android USB audio is very iffy.  I will be very happy if it works with my Note II, but have learned to temper my excitement.

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #58 of 1,658
I was able to get in at the $119 price in the US. :D Now I'm just debating whether or not I should add $30 to my pledge since I plan on getting a high impedance headphone in the future. (I mainly have IEMs with a 50 ohm impedance and a pair of the Shure SRH840.) Anyone think I should go for it?

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #59 of 1,658
  I currently use an iMod with an e12 Amp.
For my desktop/work setup I use an AudioGD 15.32.

I would be wanting to get the SuperDuper Geek to replace the AudioGD at work to power my Mad Dog's and in turn my Alpha Dogs once they are released.

Obviously the Geek wont compare to the AudioGD for pure power, however how close to the e12 would it be, given the t50rp's are 50ohm phones?

Also I have looked around for the sonic characteristics of the TI DAC however I come up empty.  How does it sound?

Thanks.

Scott

Even the plain GEEK should have enough power for the Mad Dogs.  While the modifications might impact impedance or sensitivity slightly, it shouldn't be far off from the stock which has an impedance of 50ohms and 98db for sensitivity.  You would only need about 16mw to get painfully loud, 150mw to potentially damage your eardrums.

The E12 is able to swing a lot more voltage than any level of GEEK, but it is wasted overhead for Mad Dogs and most other headphones.  

A DAC chipset's sound depends on implementation and output stage.  It would be nearly impossible to tell how something will sound based on just the chip used.

Sep 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #60 of 1,658
  Even the plain GEEK should have enough power for the Mad Dogs.  While the modifications might impact impedance or sensitivity slightly, it shouldn't be far off from the stock which has an impedance of 50ohms and 98db for sensitivity.  You would only need about 16mw to get painfully loud, 150mw to potentially damage your eardrums.

The E12 is able to swing a lot more voltage than any level of GEEK, but it is wasted overhead for Mad Dogs and most other headphones.  

A DAC chipset's sound depends on implementation and output stage.  It would be nearly impossible to tell how something will sound based on just the chip used.

Hi there,

Thanks.  I may be a little misguided.
My previous headphones were the LCD2's which seemed to vastly improve the more power you could throw at them even though from an e17 they were painfully loud but lacked substance.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I may order one just to curb my curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back