Light Harmonic GEEK
Aug 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 1,658
This will be interesting....
popcorn.gif

I really hope so!!! :D

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #20 of 1,658
Got in at the $159 level.  Very excited.  I have an HRT MicroStreamer, which is very, very good for the price and the size.  The GEEK looks to be only a slight bit bigger, but with gobs more functionality.  The added power options is cool, but for me, I won't be using my full sized headphones when I want to use something this small (coffee shop or airplane listening with my laptop or phone if compatible).  

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 1,658
So the latest offers are two more powerful amplifier models: the Super-Geek and the Super-Duper-Geek with the most powerful topping out at 1000 mw.  At this stage there doesn't appear to be any comment on how this will affect the type of headphones / earphones chosen.  I will primarily be listening with IEMs but I also have a modified Fostex RP50 which likes moar power so the Super-Duper-Geek looks like a good option.  The only thing that I'm concerned about is will the increased power cause problems with the IEMs and easily selecting volume?

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 1,658
So the latest offers are two more powerful amplifier models: the Super-Geek and the Super-Duper-Geek with the most powerful topping out at 1000 mw.  At this stage there doesn't appear to be any comment on how this will affect the type of headphones / earphones chosen.  I will primarily be listening with IEMs but I also have a modified Fostex RP50 which likes moar power so the Super-Duper-Geek looks like a good option.  The only thing that I'm concerned about is will the increased power cause problems with the IEMs and easily selecting volume?

You don't need that much power for the T50RPs, even heavily modded ones. I wouldn't go more than Super if you had too.

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #24 of 1,658
Quote:
Any idea if the standard GEEK will be able to drive the HD600, or if it would be advisable to upgrade to the Super-Geek ?

From Larry Ho (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones/posts/579920#comments),
Quote:
Sennheiser HD550/600/650: You have wide range to choose. Three versions of GEEK all will do. If I were you, I will choose Super GEEK or Super-Duper GEEK for more flexibility.

Aug 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #25 of 1,658
If my primary use for the GEEK would be for IEMs, I should be fine with just the one power upgrade (Super) right? I have the HRT Microstreamer right now, will this be a better piece of kit, or just a sidestep? Additionally, I use a Headstage Arrow as my amp with the Microstreamer.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #26 of 1,658
If my primary use for the GEEK would be for IEMs, I should be fine with just the one power upgrade (Super) right? I have the HRT Microstreamer right now, will this be a better piece of kit, or just a sidestep? Additionally, I use a Headstage Arrow as my amp with the Microstreamer.

If primarily for IEM s, the basic GEEK is more than enough. Impossible to really tell if it is an upgrade or a sidestep from the Microstreamer until someone has heard both, but it will have more power even on the base model, will be able to do 24/192 and DSD, and for me, having volume control buttons is huge.

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #27 of 1,658
Biggest news for me...the Output impedance is officially at 0.47 ohms.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #29 of 1,658
Ok just backed it up for a Super-GEEK. (cross fingers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back