Light Harmonic GEEK
May 15, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #826 of 1,658
Quote:

this is head-fi. i'm sure some idiot will try to argue that it does make a difference. :wink:

At AXPONA, a vendor claimed that music sounded noticeably better when the music files and the OS were on different internal SSDs.

How come?  Are you paging so intensively for this to affect the real-time response of your system?  On SSD?????!!!!!???

What else are you running on your comupter?

May 15, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #827 of 1,658
Just checked the LH labs forum and there are some pissed off people there who are wondering why their IGG geek out bundles have not shipped yet, but amazon shows geek outs as being "in stock". IGG backers for the bundle were promised to get their GO after the KS folk...so either the info on amazon is wrong or LH labs is not holding up to their campaign promise.

Yeah...  very disappointing!!

May 15, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #828 of 1,658
Received the Geek Out yesterday and LHLabs gave me a free upgrade to the 1000 from my order of the 720.

Very impressive and seems to synergize with everything including my vintage amps who seemed to have discovered a hidden layer of bass.

Runs a wee bit hot and the cherry on the top is that it works with my Note 3 flawlessly.

Very pleased so far and chipping in for the Wave XD128 too
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #831 of 1,658

Because I paid them in December?  Shouldn't I expect to receive it before people paying it now?

Yes, same happened with Pebble watch.
Some folks - they did payment probably 1 year before - did not get te watch, but they already sold on Bestbuy.
Anyway, that product is working, this is not.

What they showed here: http://mustgeekout.blogspot.hu/2013/09/geek-and-android-devices.html
"After a little research into just how large the Android market share is, Larry and I did an obligatory facepalm and started to work figuring out how to implement Geek on Android devices.  With many devices, such as the Samsung Galaxy S3, Geek works right out of the box!  That's not the case on all devices, though."

May 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #833 of 1,658
I thought $199 was a special pre-order price, not the official retail price...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gavn8r/geek-a-new-usb-awesomifier-for-headphones

That was what they said originally, but brought all 3 models down $100 when they launched the pre-order page. $199-299 MSRP now.

May 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #834 of 1,658
I just received a Geek Out 100 today. I had been having issues with my Geek Out 450 causing too much noise for my IEMs, especially with through the 0.47 ohm output but the Geek Out 100 is definitely an improvement in lower noise floor. Now the 0.47 ohm output is sorta usable but it makes the bass sound huge, loose, and bloated and the overall sound is woolly and not detailed and precise. Using the 47 ohm output on the GO 100 is now completely void of background noise and everything is super clear and sounds amazing. I don't understand why low impedance headphones and IEMs are supposed to be used with the 0.47 ohm output because I always find them to sound better on the 47 ohm output. Which doesn't really make sense according to the 1/8 rule but my ears can't be lying to me. Has anyone else thought that low impedance phones sound way better from the 47 ohm output?

May 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #836 of 1,658
Wait, the Geek Out 100 exists and you already have it?

Meanwhile, I have yet to receive any Geek products...

Yeah, although I don't think it's technically official though... I think I saw a few others post about it who got their hands on one? You should definitely email LH Labs and ask them about your order, they've been very helpful in helping me figure things out.

May 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #837 of 1,658
Larry posted that the Geek Out Nano EP2 boards will be in next week:

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/geekoutnano/1188-two-good-initiatives-of-this-product-line.html#19232

May 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #838 of 1,658
Hey guys both Emmanuel and Gavin & LH commented that they are taking care of existing orders prior to the roll out on Amazon. What you are seeing is just a placeholder with 0 stock and you'll get your goods first. Promise!

http://geek.lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/1196-retail-geek-outs-for-sale-on-amazon.html#19574

Emmanuel Torres
The Geek Out on Amazon were meant for testing and was not supposed to be published, we have not had or will fulfill an order on Amazon until all orders for the Bundle, pre--orders, plus the CES winners and the referral winners. are fulfilled. The GO on Amazon was to test potential sales but was not meant to go up so soon ( plus if you check it there isn't any stock shown on Amazon if ordered).

Gavin Fish
Amazon is a weird monster. We've been trying to figure out their content management system (Seller Central vs. Vendor Central), and somehow published the product list in Seller Central, which we now can't un-publish. The good news is that we aren't promoting the page and the inventory on hand is set to zero, so there won't be any orders.

May 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #840 of 1,658
Has anyone else thought that low impedance phones sound way better from the 47 ohm output?

Good question!

?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/meridian-explorer-case-study-effects-output-impedance
In early February 2013 Meridian released it's new USB powered DAC/headphone amp with much fanfare. By the end of the month, Head-Fi.org member Purrin had found its performance in listening tests underwhelming and had measured the output impedance of the Explorer at about 48 Ohms. This is not good.
The important thing to observe here is that changing the ratio of load impedance to output impedance changes the voltage at the load. Lower the output impedance and more voltage is available at the load. But the converse is true as well: If you raise the resistance of the load, it will get more voltage. That's very important to know because most headphones have impedances that change with frequency. Let's talk about that.
We can see that with the 50 Ohm output impedance of the old Explorer, we have a fairly strong effect on frequency response due to the interaction of the headphone impedance curve and the high output impedance of the amp. At the 3kHz impedance bump the Audeo PFE was 1.5dB louder with the old vs. new Explorer, at 20kHz it's nearly 4dB louder. This is a fairly significant change in frequency response and would be easily heard as the PFE being substantially brighter sounding on the old Explorer.
The ratio of the load's impedance to the amp's output impedance is called the "damping factor." In the case of the old Explorer's 50 Ohm output impedance and the Sennheiser HD 600's 300 Ohm impedance we get a damping factor of 300:50, or 6:1. While there's no hard and fast line in the sand here, it is commonly accepted wisdom that a damping factor greater than 8:1 is desirable for tight control. Bottom line: the 50 Ohm output impedance of the old Explorer is to high even for high impedance cans like the Sennheiser HD 600.
From the plot above, you can see that the old unit results in a more curved top than the new unit. The wave shape is better controlled due to the better damping factor of the new unit.

It doesn't look like much, but boy, it makes a difference in sound quality!

Unless you subjectively like a coloured sound, I don't see how the higher impedance output could objectively sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back