Light Harmonic GEEK
Mar 25, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #468 of 1,658
  Did you then pay for upgrade to a 1000 (EM) aka Super Duper, or did you leave it a $139 pledge for the standard 450 model?

I got an invoice I have to pay 
Honestly - I have to look to see at what level I pledged!! I JUMPED on it
I think I pledged at the second or third level -cuz I also got one for my buddy Jay (I passed on my Dragonfly to him - but he needs more juice for his cans) - he's paying me back.

I got him infected with the high performance personal audio bug!
I lent him my iFi iCAN and it was all over - but he wanted something small so I lent him the Dragonfly,
but he's got these vintage cans that need juice, can't remember the make at the moment, but they were his dads.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #469 of 1,658
  Where does it rank with the Microstreamer and the HiFiM8 on a pure sound quality scale?  I know you were a big fan of both when they came out.

OOOH:

Well, I have to admit the Geek Out 1000 took my microStreamer to school (though I still love it - its not goin anywhere). That was the first A/B I conducted!!
The 1000's musical presentation has the sparkle of the microStreamer, with greater intensity. Better micro and macro-dynamics, and I couldn't believe this: But a lower noisefloor too!

The 1000 acts more like a desktop unit than a USB dongle/memory stick-like USB DAC/amp! I'm sure the DAC's performance is due to the technology it inherited from Light Harmonic's Da Vinci DAC!!
But I was seriously surprised when the amp section also out-performed the microStreamer. I knew it had more juice, but I was expecting a noisier background than the MS - not sure why, but I was...

Overall the Geek Out 1000 just produced more gestalt, there's more immediacy to the transient attack and flow - without beating me over the head.

As for the CEntrance HiFi-M8 - - Hmmmmmmmm

OK I'll do it!!!  
confused.gif
  But man I LOVE the M8! 
Lets see what happens

Waiting for the Mercer answer to this with baited breath for sure!
Especially since the M8 should still be in his hands along side the Geek Out for a real world comparison.

Is it too early to predict any direct comparison a "draw" with no clear winner in order to keep companies themselves and fans of each placated?

OK, sometimes I can be Mr. niceguy. I admit it!
BUT - I would NEVER make a false claim, such as a draw, to keep anybody happy.

If they et mad at me - that's on them! I certainly do plenty of evangelizing if I love something!
You guys know that.

But things change, and evolve!!! I'm eager to see what comes of the Geek Out 1000 vs. CEntrance HiFi-M8

Lets Get Ready To Rummmmmble!

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #472 of 1,658
Completely agree about feature set and usage differences. I've had my M8 for months and love it, not going to sell it off at all.
Awaiting my Geek Out for office laptop use.

Mainly interested in the sound comparison, as are others I suspect.
We can all read (or know) about the feature deltas.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #473 of 1,658

While a direct comparison using the same source, cables, and headphones is both interesting and valid, these two products are in different categories feature set and price-wise.

I own the M8, and I will eventually have the 1000 (EM) too, but I intend to use them in different circumstances rather than have a shoot out to send the "loser" packing.

The M8 offers an unparallelled feature set, starting with being self powered via on-board battery, both USB and iDevice (or optionally Toslink) inputs, and selectable impedance, gain, bass/treble tone shaping, with optional output configurations including 3.5mm, 1/4", XLR 3-pin 1/4" combo, and 4-pin XLR or Kobiconn balanced jacks. The hands down winner there is the M8.

So while an interesting comparison, it won't mean too much when the price and feature set difference is taken into consideration. The Geek Out will win all small form factor comparisons, as the M8 while not a big burden to carry, is not nearly as portable or "stow able" for travel. It is also significantly less costly than the M8.

They are two different animals, both highly engineered pieces and I'm sure both sound great with a vast majority of partnering equipment. I would think it impossible to name a clear "winner" unless that is qualified by certain requirements such as price/budget, self powered, ease of carry, iDevice compatibility, etc...

I would also guess that the battery powered aspect of the M8 gives it an edge noise wise vs. a bus powered device, but that will vary depending on the source computer and how noisy it is, as well as whether or not it is a dedicated music server vs. a standard multitasking computer used for all sorts of other tasks.

So this is probably going to be a a draw not to keep companies and brand fan boys placated, but because they can't easily be directly compared in an all encompassing way.

I totally agree!!

And those of you who've read me know that I don't do product comparisons in my formal reviews because of situations like this! 
Products are often so different in design philosophy, execution, and feature sets that I believe direct comparisons aren't useful for formal reviews - 
I think products need to be evaluated on their own musical merit!

However - I agreed to do this merely because it would be FUN! I LOVE my HiFi-M8, as I said in my review for Part-Time Audiophile.
I also love the Geek Out 1000! But yeah these are two entirely different beasts...

But I wanna see how the Geek Out holds up for the sake of it - the microStreamer A/B seemed more appropriate.

and I'm getting things all set up right now for the battle,
but I have a nagging suspicion the HiFi-M8 will have such an edge with regard to dynamic slam, and overall power I'll probably stop before I really begin.
But I'm gonns give it a shot anyway!!

Completely agree about feature set and usage differences. I've had my M8 for months and love it, not going to sell it off at all.

yeah I was gonna focus on the sonic comparison only.
Thanks for putting this out there!!!!

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #474 of 1,658

Understood regarding the sound comparison, and I agree that's an interesting proposition.

I was trying to say it would have to end up being a draw, for reasons beyond staying neutral with company brands or fans of one or the other.

Or maybe not, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if a comparison comes back in favor of one or the other on a sound quality basis, that's OK too and completely valid in terms of that being a somewhat subjective thing anyway.

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #475 of 1,658
I didn't ask which was a better product due to much of what you said. I focused on pure sound quality since that is what matters to me most in the end. I have owned both the Microstreamer and the M8 and sold them for various reasons so can no longer do the comparison myself.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #476 of 1,658
I didn't ask which was a better product due to much of what you said. I focused on pure sound quality since that is what matters to me most in the end. I have owned both the Microstreamer and the M8 and sold them for various reasons so can no longer do the comparison myself.

yeah I totally got that!!

I got em all set up fellas, 
just dealing with a bit of a crisis w/ Alexandra (my wifey) and her declining health.

Work (if you can call this work, its actually a break from the work) has been tough 
to focus on today especially.

But I'm ON IT, as soon as I can be on it!!

I'm not sure if this would make a difference AT ALL: But I have this USB extender cable (NOT the slacker cable that comes w/ the Geek Out 1000) that allows me to plug the Geek Out into a USB cable, then the MacBook Pro - so I could use Nordost Heimdall 2 on both units - then they have the same digital lead.

BUT - the Geek Out was of course designed to plug right in the laptop.

Thoughts??

You think I should use the USB cables - thereby giving them the same exact bridge to the computer??

I'm not sure - input from you fellas would be good.
I can also try it both ways...

that didn't look too good when I typed it,
LOL

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #478 of 1,658
Is the Geek Out too fat to put 2 USB interfaces next to each other? i.e. if I have a micro USB mouse receiver, can the Geek Out still fit into the USB port next to it?

Oh never mind. It can in certain circumstances.

and I think that's what the "slacker" USB extender cable is really for:
To get the Geek Out away from the laptop to allow for USB devices to be connected
and NOT have the Geek in the way

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #479 of 1,658
I'm pretty sure the Slacker was also included to reduce stress on the USB port. If the Geek Out gets bumped, there's a high chance that something will break or bend, just like a USB stick. The Geek Out sticks out pretty far from a USB port too, so that doesn't help.

That was my main complaint with the Geek Out when it was first introduced: I can't use it on the bus without having to worry about it breaking off.

Mar 26, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #480 of 1,658
I'm pretty sure the Slacker was also included to reduce stress on the USB port. If the Geek Out gets bumped, there's a high chance that something will break or bend, just like a USB stick. The Geek Out sticks out pretty far from a USB port too, so that doesn't help.

That was my main complaint with the Geek Out when it was first introduced: I can't use it on the bus without having to worry about it breaking off.

ah!!

I experienced the same thing while writing, sitting in my lazyboy chair.
I had to be sure the Geek Out (plugged into my MacBook Pro on my lap) didn't smack against my arm rests...

BUT - that's my fault, as I said earlier in this thread (or it MAY have been in the Geek Out 1000 Impressions Thread)
I passed out while writing on my couch, and woke up to my MacBook Pro on the floor, along w/ my Audeze LCD-X!
When I picked up the laptop- the Geek Outs USB end was bent badly.

I managed to bend it back, but now I'm constantly worried the USB tip is gonna snap off!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back