Light Harmonic GEEK
Jan 4, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #241 of 1,658
  Geek Out has made its way onto the Wall Street Journal's list of best gear for hi-res audio.. It beat out the Dragonfly as their recommendation for entry level. Quite impressive.

lol what makes the wall street journal an expert on what's good? they probably just get paid to recommend thing lol

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #244 of 1,658
  How do they now? As far as I know, nobody reviewed a Geek Out till now, am I right?

There have been the early impressions from CanJam 2013, and I believe there is one person who backed the beta version during the Kickstarter campaign and received a Geek prototype. But as far as I'm aware, nobody has heard the final version yet outside Light Harmonic. And I assume that will change early next week during CES. I would certainly hope that they would have 3 or so "production" versions ready for demonstration on the show floor.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #246 of 1,658
  I was looking into pre-ordering one of these but shipping to the UK is $45 :frowning2:

Anyone want to sell theirs to me when they get it :p

Absolutely. At full MSRP. Shipping is $60.

Seriously, international shipping does suck. Your best bet is to see if there's any local shops in the UK that will be selling it. If not, then order from the US. Hopefully VAT doesn't kill you.

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #248 of 1,658
  I can assure you, WSJ was not paid a penny.. but yes, they did hear Geek Out! And for anyone that will be at CES, we will have Geek Out there to listen to! Booth 6821 in the iLounge. 

mmm... even if they did listen to it briefly, what makes them qualified to judge? a brief listen without extensive direct testing against the competition or objective measurement tests is kinda worthless imo.

i'm sure the light harmonic geek is a great product, but it's $300msrp is not very exciting. the final version better have a lot of extra features, since there are a lot of really solid similar products at a much cheaper price on the market right now. I am skeptical that this product really going to be three times better than the $99 dragonfly.

edit: also, i think the basic design is flawed. it's a giant box that is flush to the usb port. most computers have multiple usb ports right next to each other. it's going to block all your usb connections. something so basic overlooked makes me nervous.

edit2: watching the promo video where they are pairing the $300 geek + the $300 beats executive makes me want to laugh. you can get so much more sound value for $600. their focus on bass & 3d gimmicks seems to be more geared towards non-audiophiles.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #249 of 1,658

i'm sure the light harmonic geek is a great product, but it's $300msrp is not very exciting. the final version better have a lot of extra features, since there are a lot of really solid similar products at a much cheaper price on the market right now. I am skeptical that this product really going to be three times better than the $99 dragonfly.

edit: also, i think the basic design is flawed. it's a giant box that is flush to the usb port. most computers have multiple usb ports right next to each other. it's going to block all your usb connections. something so basic overlooked makes me nervous.

The $300 MSRP was the Kickstarter estimate. I believe that the Geek is being made available to everyone at $200. The WSJ article lists $199 at the price and the Geek pre-order page states $199. And with your design issue, they include a 6" jumper from the USB to the Geek. It's not competing with the $99 Dragonfly v1.1, they're taking on the $149 v1.2. So $50 difference for higher res audio, DSD support and more power. Even the base Geek puts out more than the Dragonfly.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #251 of 1,658
So does anyone know if the higher powered versions have an incidence on noise floor and distortion?

And what about the higher order harmonic distortion that was shown on the ES9018M?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #252 of 1,658
I still find it amazing that they got such a rave from WSJ for a product that technically doesn't exist yet (not sour grapes on my part, I'm a backer/purchaser of a number of the Geek products...still, as far as I can tell, they are still tweaking the components (at least as of about a week ago, follow the geek forums)

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #254 of 1,658
I didn't mean to come across as overly cynical with that statement. I've worked in journalism before and I can say from experience that it's very common for companies to send out complimentary products in exchange for reviews of them. In a way it can be considered a form of payment, and often the critic will still give as impartial a review as possible.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #255 of 1,658
hey Larry, any plans to do payment plan on the Pulse again? unfortunately i wasnt able to get in on the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back