Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Mar 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,271 of 5,933
Ultimately I dont give a squat about "unique features". I don't care if other players share every 'feature' of the Wave. What counts to me is:
1. Sound quality.
2. A User Interface that is functional and reliable.
3. Sound quality.
4. Overall reliability.
5. Battery run time - there is no such thing as too much of this.
6. Good controls. I would really like a volume knob instead of buttons.
7. Storage capacity. Even with just two full size SDXC slots this one is taken care of, although eSATA is an excellent addition.
8. A clean and durable case. Nothing fancy needed here, I prefer simple lines - just get the job done.

J.P.

I only mentioned unique features in response to your post about the Wave having features, some of which are not found on other players.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #3,272 of 5,933
I'd agree with the requirements, Good Sound and the UI, battery all most important. Something revolutionary, unavailable anywhere else would be fine, but if it just sounds great and is easy to use, that will be OK by me.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,273 of 5,933
"I guess that I may be more patient than some around here too..."

You definitely are!  I think psychologically when people face a taxing situation, they begin with a quantum of patience.  This starting point varies for every person based on factors such as their definition of a "reasonable" expectation, the degree that other parts of their life are stressed at the time, etc.

But no human being has infinite patience.  People are willing to be patient and stay positive as long as they believe a satisfactory outcome can still be achieved.  After enough time, an almost tangible paradigm shift occurs in the mind.  After that, the focus is more about mitigating negative outcomes. 

Imagine if this development went on for 2, 3, 4 more years.  Oh yeah, eventually you'd go over that tipping point too!  The only difference between you and I is the time element.  For me, I didn't have a good DAP at the time and had specific use cases to fill within a foreseeable future.  The fact that by now I've had to go buy another DAP to fill those needs already makes the Wave campaign a FAIL for me. 

The only scenario that could salvage a conclusion that it was worth the money and wait is if this thing with docking station blows away and replaces my desktop DAC.  That doesn't seem likely though.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #3,274 of 5,933
I'm just looking at it as a case where throwing $#!T won't actually do much...  people are unlikely to get money back... and none of it is going to get things out sooner.  At this point, I look at it as a surprise gift... that may or may not come at some later point in time.

Mar 19, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #3,275 of 5,933
Patience with Wave and Indiegogo. My exeperience so far other than Wave 4 succesful contributions...albeit a month or two late some for "development" reasons. Two scams where products did not materialize and Indiegogo site owners have evaporated much to the ire of many contributors. Three outstanding products including WAVE, all pleading developmental or manufacturing retooling issues. So **** happens. I am exercizing patience with WAVE as I really want a DAP like it. So here is still hoping for this year.

If not I will buy a Plenue as my Cowans have always survived, but did not have replaceable batteries a big problem. I dont know about the latest.

I do think Indiegogo needs to have a better vetting system of the contributors and their worthiness. At the moment it seems like a free for all with no responsibility exercised. If I were LH company I would disengage myself from Indiegogo as I doubt it does one's company image any good these days t be associated with Indiegogo.

My ha'pence worth on various issues that have come up over the past few week's posts on this forum.

Here's batting for LH and hoping like hell my indestructible long lasting long playing Wave gets to me before the end of the year.

Mar 20, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #3,276 of 5,933
So, basically, when Gavin said the EP3 board would be printed and assembled in a couple more weeks 2 months ago, he was saying an outright lie.

No surprises there.

Larry now says the EP3 design will be sent out end of this month to the factory.

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #3,277 of 5,933
So, basically, when Gavin said the EP3 board would be printed and assembled in a couple more weeks 2 months ago, he was saying an outright lie.

No surprises there.

Larry now says the EP3 design will be sent out end of this month to the factory.

I just saw the new update - kind of hard to make sense of it. What's going on in layman's terms aside from being late? What else is left after the EP3 is finished?

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #3,278 of 5,933
I just saw the new update - kind of hard to make sense of it. What's going on in layman's terms aside from being late? What else is left after the EP3 is finished?

In layman's terms, if everything turns out perfectly (and we know they won't), at best R&D for the PCB will be finalized by beginning of May. That doesn't include the chassis and OS. I'm realistically looking at 2017 delivery now.

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #3,279 of 5,933
In layman's terms, if everything turns out perfectly (and we know they won't), at best R&D for the PCB will be finalized by beginning of May. That doesn't include the chassis and OS. I'm realistically looking at 2017 delivery now.

Well, they have a design for the chassis and they've been working on the OS for awhile, so I think there's still a slim chance of a 2016 delivery. This is me being optimistic.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #3,280 of 5,933
As I read it, they extended the work cycle with the EP2 hardware, modifying and adjusting to remove any design and feature bugs and to refine the sound quality to meet Larry's standards. Once all changes have been identified then they can release the EP3 files to the board fab house to produce the next (and hopefully final) prototype which will be sent to the assembly facility to have all parts installed. Hopefully once EP3 is built and tested there will be no more changes to the circuit, other than possibly tweaking some passive component values. Once the circuit has been tested and finalized on the EP3 part they can then finish the design for the production Release Candidate (RC1) that is the finished circuit design laid out in the final product's form factor and size. Hopefully RC1 will not have any flaws requiring changes to the board and another fab, assembly and test cycle. If RC1 is as it should be, then that design can be submitted as is for mass production. It appears that this could happen as early as some time in May, but knowing LH Labs speed would guess more like late June or early July. This would coincide with the current timeline for delivery of the System On Module parts that as of several weeks ago would be delivered in 16 weeks.

By this probably optimistic time line, field beta test Waves might go out as early as late July and general production shipping might begin in August or September. This time line would allow three months for the typical LH Labs delays and still begin backer fulfillment in 2016. Only nine months left to see if this comes to pass.

With this passage of time, the Wave had damn well better be an AK-380 killer! At least I hope that it is, as it is likely to be the only DAP any fancier than my Sansa Fuze that I will have in the next few years, barring landing a winning lottery ticket.

J.P.

Mar 21, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #3,281 of 5,933
Gavin: Says EP3 a couple of weeks away but misses by 3 months (or more possibly) = gross incompetence
Casey: Willing to bet Wave will start shipping July 2015 but may miss by a year and half = there are no words for this

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #3,282 of 5,933
Gavin: Says EP3 a couple of weeks away but misses by 3 months (or more possibly) = gross incompetence
Casey: Willing to bet Wave will start shipping July 2015 but may miss by a year and half = there are no words for this

Casey is a piece of work, no doubt.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,283 of 5,933

No surprises there.

I'm appalled, no one at LH Labs lies!!  They just exist in a totally different time frame than the rest of the Universe....  That's the only viable explanation as to how an original shipping date for the Geek Wave could be March 2015; while the rest of us are in March 2016, LH Labs has not advanced much past October 2014...  This also explains the seeming time delay for the Verb X-IEMs!

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #3,284 of 5,933
Thanks J.P., but how do you think all the individual configurations affect production and delivery? By now I hope that I will receive the exact configuration that I paid for (also because I have no real way of checking if some components are really in my Wave) but I think there must be so many different versions out there and almost each backer will have a unique unit. Based on your estimated timeline I am now expecting a 2017 delivery for my Wave :frowning2:

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #3,285 of 5,933
If you have a funky configuration, I would expect a delay. If there isn't one, throw a party because the impossible just happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back