Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Feb 17, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,001 of 5,933
Tooo much!

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #3,002 of 5,933
  how much money exactly have you guys payed out for the geek wave?

For a high end Wave with some upgrades I transferred more than $1,400 to them. In early July 2014. Makes me dizzy and sick just to see how much money I gave them for delays, sudden design changes and more delays. If all would have been on time I would not mind much. If in the end, after one day I might have it in my hands, it turns out to be way better than other DAPs, then maybe I won't mind. At the moment it just makes me angry. And there's not much I can do than wait and hope that one day I get a working product.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,004 of 5,933

I can beat you there unfortunately. I spent exactly 1,629 USD on the Wave without shipping (funding frenzy and marketing lure)
This will trigger additional 20% tax when delivered to germany (if ever)

I must have been absolutely crazy - I could have got some really fine DAP for that kind of money!

And I also funded the Pulse, LPS 4 and HPA  ...   :frowning2:  
worst ever deal !

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #3,005 of 5,933

I can beat you there unfortunately. I spent exactly 1,629 USD on the Wave without shipping (funding frenzy and marketing lure)
This will trigger additional 20% tax when delivered to germany (if ever)

I must have been absolutely crazy - I could have got some really fine DAP for that kind of money!

And I also funded the Pulse, LPS 4 and HPA  ...   :frowning2:  
worst ever deal !

I'm even worse, spent the same on the TOTL Wave (or more if that was possible, don't want to figure it out), plus the GO 1K, GO Special Edition, Source, and Vi Tube Special Edition (and some associated smaller stuff, stands, iems). The only positive thing I can say is that the GO Special Edition, with Femto clock and hand matching of components, is really great sounding, one of my most listened to components. But, wish I hadn't fallen in with all thus stuff as well...

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3,006 of 5,933

I'm in for Geek Wave XD128 $899+$128IEM PGK+$256DAD Upgrade+$168THD Performance PKG+$74Bluetooth+$67WiFi+$22 ESS DAC 9018AQ2M = $1614.  

I would prefer a refund as well, but I know that that will not happen.  I am also unsure if I will like a Sabre DAC as a previous owner of an AudioLab M-DAC, Concero HP, and I still have a DX90, I don't think the Sabre sound is for me, but if I like the sound I will probably keep it.  I just hope that the quality control/build quality it top notch and it doesn't have too much glitches in the firmware..  

I also ordered the Geek IEM-X for $84 and light speed 1G Micro for $69

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #3,007 of 5,933

I'm in for Geek Wave XD128 $899+$128IEM PGK+$256DAD Upgrade+$168THD Performance PKG+$74Bluetooth+$67WiFi+$22 ESS DAC 9018AQ2M = $1614.  

I would prefer a refund as well, but I know that that will not happen.  I am also unsure if I will like a Sabre DAC as a previous owner of an AudioLab M-DAC, Concero HP, and I still have a DX90, I don't think the Sabre sound is for me, but if I like the sound I will probably keep it.  I just hope that the quality control/build quality it top notch and it doesn't have too much glitches in the firmware..  

I also ordered the Geek IEM-X for $84 and light speed 1G Micro for $69

I've also been thinking that R2R might have been a better route, but, I have to say, the Geek Out Special Edition is really great sounding imo. I think it's all in the implementation in the end (tube vs solid state, balanced vs single ended, and all the other debates also hinge on implementation often imo...)

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #3,008 of 5,933
I've also been thinking that R2R might have been a better route, but, I have to say, the Geek Out Special Edition is really great sounding imo. I think it's all in the implementation in the end (tube vs solid state, balanced vs single ended, and all the other debates also hinge on implementation often imo...)

Yes, even though I have never heard an R2R DAC I wish I had gone that route instead of my Hugo (which I love), but I doubt that the Hugo could compare to a desktop R2R DAC at a similar price point... I bought the Hugo at the time while waiting on the Wave as I work out of town. I probably would have bought the YGGY instead of the Hugo if I already had the Wave.  I have also bought a lot of other out of town gear (AK120, Chord Mojo, ALO CDM, ALO RX) while waiting on the Wave, not saying that is a bad thing or that I wouldn't have bought some of it anyways. 

I have heard many times that it is in the implementation and I am hoping that Larry can make this a very MUSICAL DAP.  I find my DX90 fatiguing.  I am really hoping the Femto clocks will make this an outstanding sounding DAP, similar as to how the Hugo has many taps for better timing helping with listening fatigue.  

I don't even care at this point if it takes another 6-8 months as long as they get it right, build quality, sound quality, and fairly glitch free...And as long as I still receive it:)   

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #3,009 of 5,933
Comparing the Pulse Xfi with an R2R Audio-Gd it was really hard to find any difference in the sound. Maybe both of them are pretty much at the very last percentile of improvement. Shenanigans aside, Larry does know what he is doing.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #3,011 of 5,933
For the Wave, soonest possible is maybe July. Of course, that would be the first shipments - hopefully for those at the head of the queue. They have something like 50 beta test units to ship first, then a month or so later, maybe start shipping normal backers.

When they actually start shipping is anybody's guess! My optimism is waning and now I am just hoping for some time this year.

J.P.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #3,012 of 5,933
I just checked my records, and my initial Wave contribution was April 9, 2014 in the original Wave campaign. That is just over 22 months ago, and this is certainly going to run over 24 months for many of us, even those who joined in the Wave Reboot campaign that ran from mid May through mid July, 2014. This is still a moderately quick development cycle, but nowhere a fast cycle of about 18 months. Normal product development cycles are commonly 24-36 months and longer than that is not unusual. Still, even I am getting tired of waiting...

J.P.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #3,013 of 5,933
I don't see the point of beta test units at this point in time.

It's already so late into the game, beta test units will just cause more overrunning of the production.

Just gives Gavin more reason to delay production of the rest of the production wave backers i guess.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #3,014 of 5,933
I see they're deleting posts from disgruntled backers like myself on their Indiegogo page....eff 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back