Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Dec 4, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #2,761 of 5,933

I, for one, am supremely confident in Larry's ability to deliver a stellar product. I think, as you point out, that the sound quality of GOV2 is a good indicator of how Wave will ultimately sound. Larry has never once, in the four years that we've worked together, failed to deliver exceptionally sounding gear. Wave will be no different.

Except the GOv2 was designed with balanced outs and all of the funders of geek stream got automatically a GO v2. But Geek Wave 64 backers are going to get an intentionally gimped analog stage that does not support balanced output and it remains to be seen what that will do to the sound of the Wave 64.

Larry keeps talking about balanced out as a differentiator in his posts, but that seems to be ignoring all the Wave 64 backers who will not be getting balanced output.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,762 of 5,933

Except the GOv2 was designed with balanced outs and all of the funders of geek stream got automatically a GO v2. But Geek Wave 64 backers are going to get an intentionally gimped analog stage that does not support balanced output and it remains to be seen what that will do to the sound of the Wave 64.

Larry keeps talking about balanced out as a differentiator in his posts, but that seems to be ignoring all the Wave 64 backers who will not be getting balanced output.

GO V2 sounds great single ended. If you believe measurements, it has less noise on the SE than the balanced out. I wouldn't worry too much. It will probably sound really good.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #2,763 of 5,933

I freely admit that we haven't met deadlines that we set for ourselves, and thereby haven't met expectations. I also admit that there has been, at times, bad communication within the company which has been embarrassing when we've miscommunicated publicly. We continue to improve internally, but there's plenty of improvement yet to be done.

I, for one, am supremely confident in Larry's ability to deliver a stellar product. I think, as you point out, that the sound quality of GOV2 is a good indicator of how Wave will ultimately sound. Larry has never once, in the four years that we've worked together, failed to deliver exceptionally sounding gear. Wave will be no different.

Larry is writing all of his updates himself. I remember when we started the company, I was very apprehensive about him speaking directly with customers because he was so nervous about his English. Do you all remember the first Kickstarter campaign video when he put on his HD800's backwards? If his nerves would have let him think straight, that never would have happened. Now, though, he's confident that (a) he can communicate what he intends and (b) most people will be forgiving of mistakes knowing that English is not his native language.

Larry has taken over the updates for the most part because we figured hearing it straight from him would be appreciated by most. I hope I haven't squandered all the good will that has been given me. That certainly hasn't been my intent.

Hey Gavin...if the Geek Wave blows all the other DAPs out of the water and delivers both sonically and technically that'll earn you some good will back for sure. 
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,765 of 5,933
@gavn8r thanks for popping in and participating here.

I think that the other thing that happened in here was the first forum change that resulted in all forum communications going to effectively zero. I hope the new forum is better, but it is hard to get over there. Btw, does it integrate with tapatalk apps?

Dec 7, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,766 of 5,933
So have people seen the new IEM-X update?

Due for distribution in Jan. Apparently have a revised 6µm Ti diaphragm.

Let's hope they have used a different set of 'qualifying' ears this time...

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #2,767 of 5,933
So have people seen the new IEM-X update?

Due for distribution in Jan. Apparently have a revised 6[COLOR=545454]µ[/COLOR]m Ti diaphragm.

Let's hope they have used a different set of 'qualifying' ears this time...

And a better manufacturer!!!

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #2,771 of 5,933

I freely admit that we haven't met deadlines that we set for ourselves...

What bothers me is, there has been a plethora of opportunities to learn from all those past instances.  Yet, these fantasy dates keep happening again and again....to the point of concluding that, either consciously or subconsciously, LHL wants it that way. It doesn't take a genius to build realistic time tolerances into a project plan.  Because I'm sure Gavin is more than intelligent enough to know this, what else can we conclude?

And it's clearly happening AGAIN with the latest Geek Wave projections!  Based on the progress reported, there is no way in Hades I am getting this thing by spring 2016.  Gavin covered himself a bit by using the phrase "GW will START delivering in..." to which my brain says, "backers of the high-end, complicated builds won't be getting a device for a long time after that."

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,772 of 5,933

What bothers me is, there has been a plethora of opportunities to learn from all those past instances.  Yet, these fantasy dates keep happening again and again....to the point of concluding that, either consciously or subconsciously, LHL wants it that way. It doesn't take a genius to build realistic time tolerances into a project plan.  Because I'm sure you are more than intelligent enough to know this, what else can we conclude?

And it's clearly happening AGAIN with the latest Geek Wave projections!  Based on the progress reported, there is no way in Hades I am getting this thing by spring 2016.  You covered yourself a bit by using the phrase "GW will START delivering in..." to which my brain says, "backers of the high-end, complicated builds won't be getting a device for a long time after that."

Wha???  You don't believe that Larry and the Gang will move the Geek Wave out of R&D in February 2016 and start shipping in March 2016, like they have posted here:  http://lhlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Shipping_Status_DEC52015.pdf.  I, for one, am amazed....

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #2,773 of 5,933
  Wha???  You don't believe that Larry and the Gang will move the Geek Wave out of R&D in February 2016 and start shipping in March 2016, like they have posted here:  http://lhlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Shipping_Status_DEC52015.pdf.  I, for one, am amazed....

Yes I know unbelievable and unthinkable isnt it? 

On a less sarcastic noteI am pretty sure I will get the Echobox sooner than I will see GW and I only funded the Echobox a couple weeks ago... :) 

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,774 of 5,933

Gavin has posted in the comments section today on the Geek Wave Indiegogo page re: this shipping deadline for March 2016 and seems to be standing behind the claim (but he attributes the claim to Larry and, seemingly, no one else at LH Labs)...

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #2,775 of 5,933
As optimistic as I am, when I read Out of R&D in February and Shipping in March, my first thought was Maybe R&D in March and Shipping in May... Maybe. June is more likely, but I would not net on that either.

J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back