Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jul 27, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #602 of 5,933
But the referral rewards they have sent.

Have received mine thru PayPal.

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #603 of 5,933
Geez, what a mess made of something so simple. Closing out a ticket that hasn't been resolved is a no, no and part of ticket resolution 101. Hopefully they read about your experience and try to get better.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #604 of 5,933

I think the problem these days is called doing an MBA in Managing (to do) Bugger All (and “outsource” [I choke on the term] everything to part timers who have had minimalist training if at all in what is actual going on or what they are trying to promote or sell and have no interest in what they are doing as they are simply trying to finance their own MBA).

The pride in craftsmanship is what is missing. Notice how differently people respond to and respect Piotr. There was a wonderful book called “Small is Beautiful” by Schumacher about workplace economics that these guys could do well to read if they can. J

Actually, I found dealing directly with someone who was from Indiegogo about Geek Wave actually got something quite complex sorted out in no time with great responsiveness and minimal fuss, while I still await after several months a reply from the so called campaign Owner who obviously lost the ticket stub in their overcoat pocket. Can’t someone in the industry point out to Larry and his co- developers at LH what bad press they are getting on Hi-Fiers that needs some image repair?

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #605 of 5,933
Some of the updates on the GO Kickstarter campaign seemed to indicate that they were well aware of comments being made around these parts. I think part of the problem is that they've shown themselves to be pretty bad with this stuff so far, but that hasn't stopped people from backing their future projects. Several guys who swore they'd never deal with LH again after how badly the GO was handled have landed up backing some more, even all of the current LH product line-up. What incentive does LH have to change how they run things when they've got everyone eating out of the palms of their hands like that?

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #606 of 5,933
Geez, what a mess made of something so simple. Closing out a ticket that hasn't been resolved is a no, no and part of ticket resolution 101. Hopefully they read about your experience and try to get better.

Thanks everyone for the support. I will keep after it and get it done... I just got to the point where I thought that they were actually trying to screw with me...  or I was losing what little mind I have left..
:)

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #607 of 5,933
  Thanks everyone for the support. I will keep after it and get it done... I just got to the point where I thought that they were actually trying to screw with me...  or I was losing what little mind I have left..
:)

Probably neither. My guess is you're breathing in too much secondhand smoke.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #608 of 5,933

Probably neither. My guess is you're breathing in too much secondhand smoke.

Maybe first hand...
But I do have my moments of lucidity.
gs1000.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #609 of 5,933
I see it has been two weeks since the last entry on this thread, so I assume there's no news on the projected release date of this project. I am strongly considering buying the XD128 when it becomes available and I have and am enjoying the X5 now. I am also planning to purchase the K10 in November but I'm wondering whether I should order the K10 with balanced cable components.
Now, if I wind up though, not with the XD128 b/c the predicted product did not come about for some reason, but rather with the X7 later on without, say,  balanced output design, my guess is that maybe I should opt for unbalanced for the K10 since I could use the XD128 unbalanced by choice.

You see, I'm planning to order the K10 first, so I am wondering if there's any way around this dilemma. I ask b/c I don't know very much about balanced vs. not balanced. I just know, basically, that balanced is more complex but may offer better sound quality. I also perceive that there are extra wire connections for balanced that would change the outputs on the K10, correct?
I think, based on what I know now, that once I order one way or the other, that I'll be stuck with whichever I choose and to change it, I would have to get the K10 re-shelled if I later want balanced.

Can anyone offer another view on this?

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #610 of 5,933
I myself am willing to wait for the XD128 to come out as a product. The $400 or so that I would save is no biggee to me. I intend though, to wait for a review or two here on Head-fi before I make the actual purchase. I just hope there won't be a huge wait-list b/c of my delays.

Aug 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #611 of 5,933
You don't have to have your K10's configured for balanced. The 2 pin connectors can accept balanced or single ended cables and will come stock with single ended. At any time you can choose to buy an aftermarket balanced cable. Besides choosing from the myriad of custom cable builders, you'll need to choose balanced termination of choice:
Kobicon for ALO, Cypher Labs and Ray Samuels portables
3.5 TRRS for the Wave (if I'm not mistaken)
2.5 TRRS for Astell and Kern
Then all the XLR versions for desktop gear.

The cool thing is that whatever type you decide on, you can have the cable maker create 'tails' to convert to the other types for compatibility. You can also create a single ended tail, so you don't have to change cables to use with single ended gear. (You cannot create balanced tails to use with single ended cables.)

Some cable makers I've had experience with, that offer high value for your dollar, and can recommend: Ted of FBI cables (headphone lounge), Christian of PlusSoundAudio and Brian of BTG Audio.

Good luck.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #612 of 5,933
You don't have to have your K10's configured for balanced. The 2 pin connectors can accept balanced or single ended cables and will come stock with single ended. At any time you can choose to buy an aftermarket balanced cable. Besides choosing from the myriad of custom cable builders, you'll need to choose balanced termination of choice:

The cool thing is that whatever type you decide on, you can have the cable maker create 'tails' to convert to the other types for compatibility. You can also create a single ended tail, so you don't have to change cables to use with single ended gear. (You cannot create balanced tails to use with single ended cables.)

Some cable makers I've had experience with, that offer high value for your dollar, and can recommend: Ted of FBI cables (headphone lounge), Christian of PlusSoundAudio and Brian of BTG Audio.

Good luck.

Thank you, Shotgun Shane,  for your detailed answer to my question. I've been wanting to know about this for some time and your answer is so thorough that I'm going to save this post and use it as a reference for when I need it. I'm so glad that my concern is so readily resolved.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #613 of 5,933

Good luck.

Thank you, Shotgun Shane,  for your detailed answer to my question. I've been wanting to know about this for some time and your answer is so thorough that I'm going to save this post and use it as a reference for when I need it. I'm so glad that my concern is so readily resolved.

No problem.

One more thing to think about. Make sure your cable maker of choice is aware of the TRRS wiring diagram LH Labs decides to use. I'm sure they'll publish it closer to release. Hifiman also uses 3.5mm TRRS balanced connector but LH may not use the 4 poles the same way Hifiman does.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #615 of 5,933
AFAIK the balanced connector on Wave is still needs to be voted off.
Even they have published during the IGG campaign as a 3.5mm. 
Larry expressed on the Geek forum that the designs are not yet final .

As for myself I don't like this arrangement (3.5mm balanced, 3.5mm SE).

I was proposing a 2.5mm balanced (as w/ AK) and 3.5mm SE, to avoid misconnections. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back