Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #1,667 of 2,322
Verb like reverb I'd think.  Other cool grammar names:  Vermithrax Pejorative.  Anyone remember the movie Dragonslayer?

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,669 of 2,322
I have the same issue, but happens with the Audioquest version as well. Once it disconnects, when I reconnect, volume goes back to max, have to be very careful putting on headphones at this point. Sometimes it crashes JRiver as well, often works better to close JRiver, then reopen when I reconnect. Not completely worry-free....

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #1,670 of 2,322
My volume remains the same though. It's just foobar will stop recognizing the device, then I'll have to plug it in at least twice before it registers again. It goes from something like "no driver detected" to "driver cant play XXXHz sample". Even for regular 16/44.1.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,671 of 2,322
Is this "max volume" bug still going on even with the latest driver? I'd like to get the GO1000, but not if I have to worry about stuff like that happening. Would just be using iTunes and Spotify.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,672 of 2,322
Yeah, it is the latest firmware...don't know how it gets along with iTunes or Spotify, just use it with JRiver or Pono 20 (which is JRiver slightly modified). I the "can't play the XXZ sample..." error, have to close and reopen JRiver, sometimes have to reboot computer, but not happening as often as previously. I'm very, very careful touching the GO so as to not disconnect it, especially plugging in headphones.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,673 of 2,322
  Is this "max volume" bug still going on even with the latest driver? I'd like to get the GO1000, but not if I have to worry about stuff like that happening. Would just be using iTunes and Spotify.

The volume spikes have not happened to me since the firmware V1.5 update...

Just open up the LH control panel and make sure it is the current version, otherwise you should update it. 

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #1,674 of 2,322

I would advise to be careful on buying LH Geek products. I have a Geek Out and the "volume" sets to max each time I hit play. If i select a different song, again goes to max volume. Indeed it is dangerous not just for the headphone but for the hearing. It is possible to get hearing damage, the volume is that loud. This problem happens with Spotify, with iTunes and with Beats Music, always running from the MacBook air.

I contacted LH labs, and their response and assistance was unsatisfactory. I still have the problem. They are a small company that is overloaded and have a difficult time to support the demand. I run only Macs in my business and at home and it seems that the GO firmware can only be updated with windows computers, so I can't judge if a firmware update will resolve this problem. But I can tell you that the volume problem I have now with the Geek Out did not happen before when I bought it, so it is probably caused from a problem of the Geek out firmware with the laptop software that was not happening before.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,675 of 2,322
  Anybody having problems with the slacker they provided? It always disconnects my GO100 when its slightly moved. I tried my GO100 alone and it never does it.

The GO slacker is of very, very poor quality. I advise you to get this one (or similar)

Mediabridge USB 2.0 - USB Extension Cable (6 Inches) - A Male to A Female with Gold-Plated Contacts

It works much much better and it is of much better quality, the fit and the feel. Since I bought it I don't have USB problems with the GO anymore.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #1,676 of 2,322
I have been using my GO450 (firmware v1.5) for weeks on macbook pro, with zero volume "sets to max" bug happening.
so yes- their new firmware does fix the issues.
ask a Windows friend to borrow their PC for all of 5 minutes to apply the update- very much worth it.

Note:  the volume reset to 0dB still might happen if you move the GeekOut to different USB ports or on hubs, as it changes the "address" where the OS recognizes the DAC and thinks it's a new device.
there are other vendors that warn about "the first time you plug in their DAC to USB port" the volume may be 0dB and check/verify before using.
the issue seems to be as much about our computer operating systems remembering settings as the DAC itself.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,677 of 2,322
In Windows I still have volume issues with the latest firmware, yes (although I'm using the Windows 10 Technical Preview, so my experience may be different). On Mac, no issues whatsoever.

In Windows, the media control buttons on my keyboard don't do anything except mute, so I manually adjust the volume in the LH Control Panel, which is really cumbersome.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #1,678 of 2,322

I would advise to be careful on buying LH Geek products. I have a Geek Out and the "volume" sets to max each time I hit play. If i select a different song, again goes to max volume. Indeed it is dangerous not just for the headphone but for the hearing. It is possible to get hearing damage, the volume is that loud. This problem happens with Spotify, with iTunes and with Beats Music, always running from the MacBook air.

I contacted LH labs, and their response and assistance was unsatisfactory. I still have the problem. They are a small company that is overloaded and have a difficult time to support the demand. I run only Macs in my business and at home and it seems that the GO firmware can only be updated with windows computers, so I can't judge if a firmware update will resolve this problem. But I can tell you that the volume problem I have now with the Geek Out did not happen before when I bought it, so it is probably caused from a problem of the Geek out firmware with the laptop software that was not happening before.

Don't you know anyone with a Windows laptop that you can borrow for a few minutes? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back