Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,621 of 2,322
Mine gets hot enough to note when I touch it, but not enough to cause discomfort (haven't actually measured it), if that's a help. Shouldn't make it unsuitable for portable use.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,622 of 2,322
Mine gets hot enough to note when I touch it, but not enough to cause discomfort (haven't actually measured it), if that's a help. Shouldn't make it unsuitable for portable use.

Thanks!

In my mind 40 is like a hot day and you could comfortable handle it despite it being hot, whereas 70 would be very uncomfortable to touch... 

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,624 of 2,322
I don't know about the exact temperatures, but my GO 1000 is like holding a Starbucks coffee.

Holding my SE now, to continue the Starbucks metaphor, I'd say mine is like holding a cup of Starbucks coffee WITH the cardboard ring placed on it-still feel that it's hot, but not uncomfortable to hold...
I'm not sure they all heat up to the same degree, though, reading these posts...

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,625 of 2,322
Holding my SE now, to continue the Starbucks metaphor, I'd say mine is like holding a cup of Starbucks coffee WITH the cardboard ring placed on it-still feel that it's hot, but not uncomfortable to hold...
I'm not sure they all heat up to the same degree, though, reading these posts...

How much the GO heats up also depends on how it's being powered. My GO IEM 100 gets warm but not uncomfortably hot when using a 2G split cable with the power end connected to the LPS (and a USB B female to USB A female adapter on the GO end). If I connect the power end to an iPad 12W adapter instead, it gets uncomfortably hot.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,626 of 2,322
Don't know what to make of it, but I'm connected directly to a Vaunix Lab Brick powered hub.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #1,627 of 2,322
The question is more what settings to use with the Geek Out SE connected to a PC running JRiver. I recently got a Koss ESP-950, which comes with its own amp. Tried connecting to the Geek Out, with the Light Harmonic software volume slider at 0 (the loudest setting), which I thought was line out. Everything crashed, had to reboot computer, sound out of Koss was awful. Something in settings I'm missing. I also still have to use the LH slider to control volume, other volume controls don't work. Any help out there?

Hi doctorjazz,

My set up is:
Mac (OS X.10.1) -> Audirvana+ 2.08 -> Audio Research LS-25 (set to minimum gain, IIRC 6 dB) -> Emerald Physics EP100.2 SE (set up as mono blocks)

I set Audirvana to max volume on the Geek Out 1000. I guess the AR LS-25 has enough headroom that I don't get any signs of overloading its inputs.

I presume you are using JRiver on a Windows PC. In that case, with the latest Windows driver (http://lhlabs.com/support/geek-out.html) , have you set up the ASIO driver so that you get acceptable sound with headphones directly from the Geek Out? After that, you can begin getting the rest of the connections working.

Regarding the JRiver volume vs. LH slider volume, I'll have to defer to other members here to determine the preferred set up. To my thinking, I ***think*** it would be best to leave JRiver volume set to maximum (presuming that is bit-perfect) and adjust output using the LH slider for best possible sound.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,628 of 2,322
Hmmm, mostly I use my PC, and don't have a choice. The only volume that works IS the LH slider. Nothing happens with the Windows volume control or the JRiver control. I'm not sure it's using the latest Windows driver, there was a change when they changed the "awsomefier" buttons to the filter change control, and that is the last time I did download drivers, if there is a newer set, worth checking out,
Have an aging iMac as well, but it's slow as molasses, have to reboot constantly to do anything on it. Some programs keep insisting I install, but nothing happens when I do, keep getting the same error message. Have JRiver for the iMac as well, and some other music software, but mostly use my PC-iMac is in my living room, anyway, rather just use my stereo.
Thanks for the input.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,631 of 2,322
GO 450 vs 1000 for mrspeakers Alpha Primes?

I will also utilise line out to an amp sometimes...

It depends on the type of music you listen to really. With very quiet recordings and listening to music at medium volume levels, the Geek Out 450 provides just enough juice for my 669 Ω AKG K240 Monitors (86 db/mW efficiency). I think for most music, the GO 450 is just fine. The Alpha Dog (not Prime) needs 0.92 mW of power at 47 Ω to reach 90 dB SPL, which shouldn't be a problem for the GO 450 (which approximately outputs 15.3 mW at 47 Ω, enough to bring the Alpha Dogs to 102 dB SPL). I'd only recommend the GO 1000 if you listen to quiet recordings really loud.

[rule]
All righty, I've been doing some testing between the Geek Out on my MacBook Pro and the Geek Out with the Geek LPS4.

Between the two connection options, the LPS definitely improves the instrument separation and the overall blackness of the background, which improves the imaging. Another noticeable difference I hear is an improved bass extension with bass that's a little more present, which may give the sense of better dynamics in my music.

These are only impressions after about an hour's worth of listening and I plan to do some more testing later. In the mean time, here's Something New for ya.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czWPzfeB7TY[/video]

A free FLAC/ALAC download from his Bandcamp page:
http://kubbi.bandcamp.com/album/something-new

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,633 of 2,322
Thanks for the reply. Would there be any disadvantage in 'future proofing' with the 1000, apart from cost? Signature and line out performance is the same?

The only disadvantage is that it outputs ~4 VRMS for the line out instead of ~2.68 VRMS for the GO 450, so you would need to make sure your equipment can handle the higher voltage if you want a bit-perfect output into your amplifier.

Other than that, they sound identical to me really. LH did a good job at preserving the audio quality between each GO model.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,634 of 2,322
It depends on the type of music you listen to really. With very quiet recordings and listening to music at medium volume levels, the Geek Out 450 provides just enough juice for my 669 Ω AKG K240 Monitors (86 db/mW efficiency). I think for most music, the GO 450 is just fine. The Alpha Dog (not Prime) needs 0.92 mW of power at 47 Ω to reach 90 dB SPL, which shouldn't be a problem for the GO 450 (which approximately outputs 15.3 mW at 47 Ω, enough to bring the Alpha Dogs to 102 dB SPL). I'd only recommend the GO 1000 if you listen to quiet recordings really loud.

All righty, I've been doing some testing between the Geek Out on my MacBook Pro and the Geek Out with the Geek LPS4.

Between the two connection options, the LPS definitely improves the instrument separation and the overall blackness of the background, which improves the imaging. Another noticeable difference I hear is an improved bass extension with bass that's a little more present, which may give the sense of better dynamics in my music.

These are only impressions after about an hour's worth of listening and I plan to do some more testing later. In the mean time, here's Something New for ya.

A free FLAC/ALAC download from his Bandcamp page:
http://kubbi.bandcamp.com/album/something-new

Is the LPS bringing any more tech for its price than say, a portable Energizer battery with linear voltage add-on plug to deliver clean consistent isolated power  ?

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,635 of 2,322
Is the LPS bringing any more tech for its price than say, a portable Energizer battery with linear voltage add-on plug to deliver clean consistent isolated power  ?

Good question. I'm not sure myself, but others have said:
Generally speaking the battery is not as liner as regulated LPS, has higher output impedance, not worth the hassle IMO.
You can definitely try it out.

I'm not an EE but the amp rating from the PSU should at least match the equipment's requirement (on the Pulse). The 1.2a means you need to have a PSU with at least 1.2a (you can go 1.5a or 2.0a etc) but don't go overboard with something like 5 etc unless the psu is powering other equipment at the same time.

Battery--different makes will have different discharges and when you are nearly drained of juice it will drop quickly. If you use rechargeables, the juice is usually less than rated and they degrade with use.

Those more knowledgeable than I please correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back