Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,171 of 2,322
Larry said firmware will be THIS WEEK.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #1,173 of 2,322
Buttons will be reassigned as 3D on/off and filters switch, minimum phase and linear slow roll-off.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,174 of 2,322
Can anyone tell me, with the GO1000, is there any problems with using another amp out of the 3.5 mm jack ?

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,176 of 2,322
Alright, cool beans.. I just wanted to ask to be sure. I wonder how this DAC would sound paired with the PanAM's Amp section. I like to think that would be a really cool combo. A friend of mine is bringing over his GO and I am going to pair it with my own ALO PanAm and see how it sounds.

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,178 of 2,322
  Alright, cool beans.. I just wanted to ask to be sure. I wonder how this DAC would sound paired with the PanAM's Amp section. I like to think that would be a really cool combo. A friend of mine is bringing over his GO and I am going to pair it with my own ALO PanAm and see how it sounds.

Try before you buy. Not sure how much the GO 1000 would be helped by an external amp on any but the most demanding headphones. Otherwise, an amp would likely just change the flavor rather than being much of a step up from what I can tell from reviews. I have no desire to grab an amp to pair with my GO 450 on the headphones I use with it. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #1,179 of 2,322
I am semi-skeptical in this thing... however, many colleagues of mine like it, although, I'm not positive they know what real Head-Fi sounds like. 

What are the drawbacks of this? More feedback, distortion at higher end? Trying to see why something this cheap would deliver a good sound if it's pumping out enough to power high requirement headphones.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #1,180 of 2,322
Trying to see why something this cheap would deliver a good sound if it's pumping out enough to power high requirement headphones.

What exactly is wrong with that? You seem to imply that more power = bad sound. : s

Light Harmonic's forte is the digital side of audio but they use a traditional analogue approach for the analog section. Meaning they focus a lot of the fancy tech on the digital side, class A amplifier section on the analogue side.

If it's any consolation, I own the Objective DAC/Objective 2, JDS Labs C5 and C5D, FiiO E7 and E12, and I've tried many other traditional headphone DACs/amps discussed here on Head-Fi such as the Chord Hugo and I think the Geek Out is one of the best-sounding units in the bunch, regardless of price or power.

The only drawbacks seem to be a high noise floor for sensitive headphones/earphones and it draws too much current for direct Android OTG or iOS use.

I saw you posted in the Seattle/Portland meet thread (I live near the Seattle area). I have two Geek Out units and I only use one. If you'd like, I can ship one to you to try out if you're interested.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,181 of 2,322
Use an external amp and the noise will disappear.  I must say the Meridian Explorer also sounds really good via the lineout (I believe this to be a true lineout also the volume in windows does not adjust the level when using the lineout) and for 149 on Amazon you can't go wrong.  I contacted Meridian directly and they stated that Audio Advisor only has the lower impedance Explorers.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #1,182 of 2,322
Use an external amp and the noise will disappear.  I must say the Meridian Explorer also sounds really good via the lineout (I believe this to be a true lineout also the volume in windows does not adjust the level when using the lineout) and for 149 on Amazon you can't go wrong.  I contacted Meridian directly and they stated that Audio Advisor only has the lower impedance Explorers.

That's true. For my main setups though (K 701 with 0.47 Ω, K240 M with 47 Ω, or "line out" to STAX SRM-252S), my headphones aren't sensitive enough to pick up the hiss.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,185 of 2,322
The max output voltage of the Geek Out 1000 is 4V RMS.  LH Labs suggests using the 47 Ohm output for line level purposes.  They also suggest setting all output levels in their control panel to 0 dB for that purpose.

Double amping?  Absolutely!  Consider that a preamplifier amplifies or boosts the signal to line level to feed power amplifiers so the signal IS technically double amplified in that case also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back