Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #828 of 2,322
  I had the micro streamer a while back and I feel that the GO is much more organic and dynamic, for what it's worth, although I don't remember the micro streamer very well. Details "pop" out a lot more on the GO, it has more authority, while the micro streamer was not laid back, but less punchy. 

I enjoy the GO more.

Thanks a lot for your input ! May I ask what kind of music do you listen to ?

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #829 of 2,322
I listen to a wide variety of stuff:

Lately I've been listening to a lot of The Bad Plus, Rumpstol, Balam Acab, but I also listen to music like Every Time I Die and Hip Hop.

Mainly electronic music and jazz, but some metal.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #830 of 2,322
  I listen to a wide variety of stuff:

Lately I've been listening to a lot of The Bad Plus, Rumpstol, Balam Acab, but I also listen to music like Every Time I Die and Hip Hop.

Mainly electronic music and jazz, but some metal.

Good to know, thank you ! I wonder how the GO behaves with classical and orchestral music and if it's a good match or not, could anyone enlighten me on this point ?

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #833 of 2,322
Yes to DSD128 with JRMC in Win 7, very very nice!

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #835 of 2,322
Since when did Resonessence improve volume control on iDevices?
Had mine for 2 weeks with iPhone, and had to crank slider up to 2/3 to hear any decent sound (HD600), and the next slight increase was way too loud.

Much prefer nano iDSD with IEMs or NAD HP50.

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #836 of 2,322
Since when did Resonessence improve volume control on iDevices?
Had mine for 2 weeks with iPhone, and had to crank slider up to 2/3 to hear any decent sound (HD600), and the next slight increase was way too loud.

Much prefer nano iDSD with IEMs or NAD HP50.

Supposedly they pushed a firmware update to fix but I sold mine before that. If it's still an issue, try the Canopener app on iOS- it's a must have with the Herus for excellent volume control IMO.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #838 of 2,322
  GO1000 DSD64 playback through Onkyo HF Player iPad app, quite nice, although as expected, volume control issues.

And... the wider angle reveals the powered USB hub needed for this combination to work, the GO1000 is too power hungry to work directly off the iPad's battery.

I also had trouble getting a y-split cable and 2.1 amp USB battery to work reliably in this application. Many times the iPad would still issue the warning text box that the device was incompatible due to excessive power requirements. Connecting a non-powered hub inline with the Camera Connection Kit solved that but strangely didn't sound anywhere near as good as the powered hub did, suggesting a noisy 5 volt regulator in that battery or some other strange phenomena degrading the sound quality. Not a small difference.

All in all, for portable use with iPad, the Resonessence Labs Herus is clearly a better choice at 320mW output, no hub or battery required, excellent sound quality, and issue-free volume control. OR, wait patiently and hope for the best with the Geek Wave production.

Sucks you're having the gain control issues with this rig!
That issue (the buttons - and how the gain resets back to FULL on the Geek Out 1000 when I adjust the volume on my MacBook Pro) - Larry should figure out a fix for that!
I bet some people on the fence about the Geek Out 1000 would JUMP if that was resolved! As the sonics are pure bliss-out stuff!!!!

I also noticed you have the "3D" imaging circuit on in the pic (yes?)- how you do like that?

I found it was a cool effect with experimental electronic stuff, but that acoustic recordings lost their spacial location properties
(sounded more like ear-candy on that kinda material to me) but, it does have a noticeable sonic impact on the sound immediately after engaging it!!

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #839 of 2,322
Eerie coincidental karma Michael. As I'm reading your post #1, my tweet that you favorited flashed across my screen.

ksc75smile.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #840 of 2,322
  Sucks you're having the gain control issues with this rig!
That issue (the buttons - and how the gain resets back to FULL on the Geek Out 1000 when I adjust the volume on my MacBook Pro) - Larry should figure out a fix for that!
I bet some people on the fence about the Geek Out 1000 would JUMP if that was resolved! As the sonics are pure bliss-out stuff!!!!

I also noticed you have the "3D" imaging circuit on in the pic (yes?)- how you do like that?

I found it was a cool effect with experimental electronic stuff, but that acoustic recordings lost their spacial location properties
(sounded more like ear-candy on that kinda material to me) but, it does have a noticeable sonic impact on the sound immediately after engaging it!!

The volume issue in this set-up wasn't too big a deal, I didn't get my ears blasted.

But I wasn't really able to reliably get either the GO1000 to stay maxed out on it's hardware buttons and then make my adjustments via the HF Player software slider, nor the vice verse, i.e. HF player slider maxed out and make the adjustments via the GO1000 buttons.

It seemed that one or the other kept getting reset downward, which I guess is much better/preferable than reset to max/ears blown! Still somewhat dodgy with respect to volume control however.

I fully agree about the "blissful sonics" though, all volume issues aside, I am still (several months later) consistently impressed with this unit in terms of sound quality. I never expected a tiny bus powered device to be this good, it's actually staggeringly good as a line level DAC connected to a Sugden Headmaster pre/headphone amp and powered speakers in my bedroom system with a Mac mini running Audirvana+, or BitPerfect DSD Master. In that arrangement, there's no volume control issue, just pure music (pun intended)!

That blue LED you see in the photo isn't the 3D circuit indicator, it's the DSD indicator that's lit up.

The 3D indicator LED is the first one in the row of 4 (also blue colored but not illuminated in that photo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back