Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #782 of 2,322
Geek Out 1000

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #783 of 2,322
  My problem is that my desktop setup is worth 10x that of the Geek Out so I cannot give a useful comparison. My Audiophilleo 2 alone costs over twice as much as the Geek Out. Even my USB cable costs more than the Geek Out. My Bottlehead Crack has capacitors 4 times the size of the Geek Out. Obviously my desktop setup is going to be clearly superior in almost every way (paired with my re-cabled T1). 

Against stuff closer priced (but still more expensive) stuff like RSA Predator and the RSA Intruder  I find that the dedicated amps have their specializations.
The Predator is very good at layering but soundstage is quite enclosed. The DAC isn't anything to shout about.
The Intruder is technically very nice, probably the most technically superior of the group. Sound is very spacious and detailed (used in balanced mode). Single-ended, its improvements over the others are a bit less pronounced. The DAC is decent but a bit too flat and depending on what headphones it's paired with, a bit boring (my opinion only of course). It does tame the hard to manage TH900 quite well though. 
The Geek Out is an odd one. It doesn't seem to beat the RSAs at their specializations but it is quite resolving, detailed and reasonably spacious. It's not a world beater but it doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. One of it's biggest strengths is that regardless of which headphone I put on it, I seem to enjoy the sound signature. It's not boring sounding (don't know how to describe this in more technical terms). So while I can tell the Intruder in balanced mode is slightly more spacious and a tad more detailed, I enjoy the Geek Out at least as much (if not more sometimes). The Predator is superb at layering and may be slightly superior than the Geek Out in that sense but the Geek Out seems to have a wider sound stage and the layering isn't bad either. Both the Predator and Geek Out seem to have very enjoyable signatures that dig deep into the bass frequencies. 
Both RSA devices are considerably larger and more expensive than the Geek Out and are known to be among the top of their class. The fact that the Geek Out is competing at this level says a lot. 

When I let my friends try the Audioquest Dragonfly, they told me that they flat out didn't like its artificial sound and were less than impressed. When I showed them the Geek Out, they complained that it could not compete with dac/amp setups costing close to $1k. The fact that they compared it to equipment of that level speaks volumes of its abilities. 

In conclusion I think that it's an excellent mid-fi piece of equipment available for entry-level prices. Anyone who is after music enjoyment and not so much analysis will not be disappointed for the price they pay in my opinion. It punches well above its weight and price point. Just don't expect it to beat $1000+ setups. How many $200-ish pieces of equipment can drive virtually any headphone and do it well?

Have you tried it with a split cable and powered by an LPS?

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #784 of 2,322
I am still waiting for my Geek LPS. That won't be shipped for at least another month or two. This LPS is designed for use with Geek Out. 

My Teradak LPS doesn't lend itself to use with the Geek Out. I tried using a USB isolator in conjunction with an LPS but the computer wouldn't read it. 

The isolator I use requires the device to use Windows drivers (eg. Audiophilleo, pupDAC) but won't work with anything that has their own drivers (Geek Out, Musical Fidelity VLink 192). 

Therefore I've only used Geek Out direct from USB port. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #785 of 2,322
The Schiit Wyrd is available now and reports are showing that it works well with the GO. Darin Fong posted a short blurb in another thread and his impressions speak highly of Schiit's little $99 linear power supply. So if you want something to tide you over until the LHLabs LPS is available, this may be it.

Could be nice to use instead of running straight out of the USB port.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #787 of 2,322
  It always seems odd to me to get a big honking LPS to go with a USB audio stick... Once I'm tied down to a desk, might as well have the full geek pulse.

While I agree, the Pulse isn't available yet. And who knows how long it'll be before it is? I'll eventually have my GO as a portable only solution, but until the Pulse arrives it will be my home DAC as well; once I actually get my hands on it that is. I'm passing on the Wyrd myself since I have an LPS4 coming and from what I read on the LHLabs forums it seems to be fairly close to production.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #788 of 2,322
  I am still waiting for my Geek LPS. That won't be shipped for at least another month or two. This LPS is designed for use with Geek Out. 

My Teradak LPS doesn't lend itself to use with the Geek Out. I tried using a USB isolator in conjunction with an LPS but the computer wouldn't read it. 

The isolator I use requires the device to use Windows drivers (eg. Audiophilleo, pupDAC) but won't work with anything that has their own drivers (Geek Out, Musical Fidelity VLink 192). 

Therefore I've only used Geek Out direct from USB port. 

Which TeraDak are you using?  I'm using the UV9A with an OUT 720 and the two cables I've used with it are the split Lightspeed itself and a combo of the one that came with the UV9A and any other USB cable and have had no problems whatsoever.

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #789 of 2,322
  Which TeraDak are you using?  I'm using the UV9A with an OUT 720 and the two cables I've used with it are the split Lightspeed itself and a combo of the one that came with the UV9A and any other USB cable and have had no problems whatsoever.

Using a cheapy U9.  :)

I don't have a split cable yet. I ordered the Lightspeed 2G. The Lightspeed is out of my budget! :)

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #790 of 2,322
Wait. UV9A. That's the one I have. The supplied USB cable is a male USB A-B. Even with the split, I don't see where to put the Geek Out?

Are you also using the A&B Systems Isolator? 

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #791 of 2,322

Using a cheapy U9.  :)

I don't have a split cable yet. I ordered the Lightspeed 2G. The Lightspeed is out of my budget! :)

That's the same as the UV9A I have.  Is there a female USB Type A connector on the back or does it only have the the female round DC input connector?  Mine has the USB connector and came with a cable that had Type A male, plugs in the back of the U9, and a combo type B female and type B male at the other end.  You plug any USB cable coming from your PC that has type B male into the Type B female of that combo connector.  You'll also need a Type B female to Type A female adapter that the OUT plugs into.  That way it uses the +5V and Ground coming from the LPS and +/- Data coming from the PC.  It's the cable with the yellow heatshrink.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #792 of 2,322

That's the same as the UV9A I have.  Is there a female USB Type A connector on the back or does it only have the the female round DC input connector?  Mine has the USB connector and came with a cable that had Type A male, plugs in the back of the U9, and a combo type B female and type B male at the other end.  You plug any USB cable coming from your PC that has type B male into the Type B female of that combo connector.  You'll also need a Type B female to Type A female adapter that the OUT plugs into.  That way it uses the +5V and Ground coming from the LPS and +/- Data coming from the PC.

I think I found my problem.  :) 

I tried using the isolator as my converter but the isolator doesn't play well with it. I might look out for a converter. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #793 of 2,322
  Wait. UV9A. That's the one I have. The supplied USB cable is a male USB A-B. Even with the split, I don't see where to put the Geek Out?

Are you also using the A&B Systems Isolator? 

You need a female Type B, Yellow heatshrink male type B plugs into it, to female Type A that the Out plugs into.  They're less than $10.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #794 of 2,322
I'm with you zenpunk, I ordered later, but still from their website. How can they be releasing them in the UK before fulfilling outstanding orders to someone in the UK? At this point in time it seems like they've just taken my money as well. All the communication has been initiated by me and each one ends up being me asking for an approximate delivery date and each time I get told a later time. This is getting ridiculous. The last time I asked I got told it would be delivered starting the second week of June through July, despite still being in that time period, the length of the given time period is unnerving to say the least.
 Sadly I pre-ordered mine back in January December straight from LH Labs and I am still waiting for it.  Those LH Labs people are really hopeless, or are they just taking the piss?

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #795 of 2,322
I opened a second ticket to complain about the issue and asked for a refund but I was told all the pre-order were sent last week. Apparently, no supplier has stock as they have to go through LH Labs for each order.
rolleyes.gif

Sadly, I am still waiting and the tracking number they provided me is invalid...
I am more upset about the way they "run" their business and the lack of honesty rather than the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back