or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed. - Page 10

post #136 of 224

mispost

post #137 of 224
Wyrd question (ha)-
LPS and USB power separation aside,
I'm curious whether the magic chip that Mike M loves to do the USB re clocking will ever be added onto the USB card within BiFrost DAC?
Seems a natural next step.
post #138 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post

Wyrd question (ha)-
LPS and USB power separation aside,
I'm curious whether the magic chip that Mike M loves to do the USB re clocking will ever be added onto the USB card within BiFrost DAC?
Seems a natural next step.

 

I believe they've already said that isn't the plan, since most people wouldn't benefit from it, so why do so and have to raise the price.

post #139 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

I believe they've already said that isn't the plan, since most people wouldn't benefit from it, so why do so and have to raise the price.

Agreed there.
If the their own BiFrost wouldn't benefit from it, I'd like to hear more about what USB cleanup is done inside the BiFrost presently.
post #140 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant00 View Post

I believe they've already said that isn't the plan, since most people wouldn't benefit from it, so why do so and have to raise the price.

I would imagine that even making it an optional component would be a problem, since they'd have to redesign the board.

Or...maybe it could be a different Uber USB option. Uber USB+decrapifier.
post #141 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertianinja View Post

I would imagine that even making it an optional component would be a problem, since they'd have to redesign the board.

Or...maybe it could be a different Uber USB option. Uber USB+decrapifier.

 

Of course, then the question is whether it's worth it, since that's more work and a new USB board design to save what, $30 off the price of the Wyrd (complete guess, don't take my money amount seriously). I think their current strategy makes more sense, have it as a separate box so you can add it to any DAC (including non-Schiit ones) at a fixed price.

post #142 of 224

Now people must have lots of Wyrd's in hand. I got mine delivered today and I know many others already got theirs.

 

Is it time to start a Wyrd impressions thread? If nothing else it would be cool to keep track of how how the Wyrd affects different sources and DAC's.

 

I was skeptical, but am a believer now...

post #143 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinf View Post

Now people must have lots of Wyrd's in hand. I got mine delivered today and I know many others already got theirs.

Is it time to start a Wyrd impressions thread? If nothing else it would be cool to keep track of how how the Wyrd affects different sources and DAC's.

I was skeptical, but am a believer now...

Because? Preliminary review - it decreases noise?
post #144 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billheiser View Post


Because? Preliminary review - it decreases noise?

I did not notice a change in noise level, but here's some VERY early impressions after only about an hour of listening:

 

  • Apple Macbook Air -> Amarra -> Wyrd -> Hugo -> Lyr 2 -> HD800(stock) and Paradox Slants and Noble Switch PR in the R configuration:

    With Wyrd, the highs seem less strident. Smoother, but not darker. Just less harsh. As you can imagine, the HD800's on the Lyr 2 can be pretty harsh and bright. On recordings that are prone to sibilance and pain on some highs are actually not sibilant and bearable using the Wyrd. The difference is more noticeable than I expected. I am sure I could tell in a blind A/B test.
     

 

  • Apple Macbook Air -> Amarra -> Wyrd -> Geek Out 450 -> Lyr 2 -> HD800(stock) and Paradox Slants and Noble Switch PR in the R configuration:

    In this case, I think there's even more difference. It's wyrd though that the output level seems to be louder when the Wyrd is in the loop. That doesn't make any sense though, but maybe the internal volume of the GO changes when I plug it into the Wyrd vs. the Macbook USB port. The difference is basically the same as with the Hugo, but I think there may be more bass impact with the Wyrd. On the highs, it's definitely smoother and less harsh with the Wyrd.


Anyway, I figure if I can hear the difference, then other more experienced listeners will definitely hear it and be able to describe more accurately the differences when they hear it.
 

post #145 of 224

It's well accepted that a good power supply goes a long way in audio, and given that the Geek Out is USB powered, this is essentially like a power supply upgrade so maybe that's where the difference comes from. Can't really explain the difference on the Hugo. Anyways, truckload of salt and usual disclaimers apply.

 

My Wyrd is coming in on Saturday, pretty interested to see what it does. I bought it purely for USB noise reasons and my DAC is not USB powered so I'm not expecting this to perform any miracles. If it gets rid of the USB noise that gets transmitted to my Crack, it's a winner in my book.

post #146 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinf View Post

I did not notice a change in noise level, but here's some VERY early impressions after only about an hour of listening:
  • Apple Macbook Air -> Amarra -> Wyrd -> Hugo -> Lyr 2 -> HD800(stock) and Paradox Slants and Noble Switch PR in the R configuration:

    With Wyrd, the highs seem less strident. Smoother, but not darker. Just less harsh. As you can imagine, the HD800's on the Lyr 2 can be pretty harsh and bright. On recordings that are prone to sibilance and pain on some highs are actually not sibilant and bearable using the Wyrd. The difference is more noticeable than I expected. I am sure I could tell in a blind A/B test.

     
  • Apple Macbook Air -> Amarra -> Wyrd -> Geek Out 450 -> Lyr 2 -> HD800(stock) and Paradox Slants and Noble Switch PR in the R configuration:

    In this case, I think there's even more difference. It's wyrd though that the output level seems to be louder when the Wyrd is in the loop. That doesn't make any sense though, but maybe the internal volume of the GO changes when I plug it into the Wyrd vs. the Macbook USB port. The difference is basically the same as with the Hugo, but I think there may be more bass impact with the Wyrd. On the highs, it's definitely smoother and less harsh with the Wyrd.

Anyway, I figure if I can hear the difference, then other more experienced listeners will definitely hear it and be able to describe more accurately the differences when they hear it.

 

Really smoothes out those 1s and 0s, huh?
post #147 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler3 View Post

Really smoothes out those 1s and 0s, huh?

Probably not the 1 and 0's, but RF, electrical noise and other such hash from poor computer layouts.
post #148 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcatsare1 View Post

Probably not the 1 and 0's, but RF, electrical noise and other such hash from poor computer layouts.

Exactly—it removes noise and interference. It doesn't "smooth out the highs." Schiit themselves say they don't know how/why it would make the music sound different.
post #149 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler3 View Post


Exactly—it removes noise and interference. It doesn't "smooth out the highs." Schiit themselves say they don't know how/why it would make the music sound different.

Don't forget there is 2 types of signal in a USB cable. Those "1" and "0" aren't the problem in USB most of the time. It's always the 5V line, which is analog, and powers Modi for example. These can be VERY noisy, lack power, drop and so on.

post #150 of 224
Serious question: Can noise and interference cause perceived harshness?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsor Announcements and Deals
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Sponsor Announcements and Deals › Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.