Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 2, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #691 of 2,322
OK, FAD Pandora Hope VI arrived today, haven't had much time to listen, not burned in, yada yada yada, does sound really nice out of Geek Out 1000. More later if anyone is interested (have posted some more detail on The Discovery Thread) http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-zero-audio-singolos-pg1644-doppios-pg1197/25050#post_10598078

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #692 of 2,322

And the wait continues. No surprise, honestly.

I'm in the Indiegogo boat as well. I'm pretty patient, but it is getting old.

Seems to be constantly 1 week away. Maybe I should have gotten mine in "Carrot Orange"

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #693 of 2,322

Crossing my fingers that those will be shipping this week as well. They were waiting for clocks from one of their manufacturers and they finally came in last week. From what I understand, Indiegogo backers, CES winners and pre-orders should start shipping this week. Dunno when referral prizes will be shipped out, probably after backers, pre-orders and contest winners is my guess. We'll see. I can't count how many times I've answered "soon" when people ask when I'll have mine to get opinions.

We got a lot of good assemble PCBs.... Kellee's team will start working on final QC and start shipping on Thursday!

Larry

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #695 of 2,322
not too sure if this has been answered, but a question was asked a long time ago:

how does the GO1000 (or GO450 for that matter) fare when fed to an amp (O2, magni, e.t.c) through the 47ohm line out?

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #696 of 2,322

That's wonderful news, Larry, thanks for the update. Can't wait for more impressions to begin rolling in now that assembly is underway again.

We got a lot of good assemble PCBs.... Kellee's team will start working on final QC and start shipping on Thursday!

Larry

YES!

Thanks Larry!

I got my Geek Out 100 to @warrenpchi for our upcoming review for Audio360!!
Still in SoCal!

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #697 of 2,322

Hmmm... That sounds a little harsh. I cannot reproduce this problem when using a Geek Out 450 on a MacBook Pro - no matter how I have the Geek Out set up, playing stuff directly from iTunes, Spotify, or by using Audirvana+, I can't get the volume to jump to maximum no matter how much or in which combinations I play with the up/down buttons on the Geek Out, or with the volume sliders in the menu bar or in the various music playback apps - the caveat being that the master/system volume slider on the MacBook is never at 100%. From everything I've read, this appears to be a Microsoft Windows-only issue?

I know that it's no excuse, but I think we have to remember the context in which the Geek Out was designed and brought to market: If I understand correctly, Light Harmonic / LHLabs at the time consisted of Larry Ho, Gavin Fish, and maybe one or two other people? It appears as if all of their testing was done on Mac OS X. A working Windows driver wasn't even released until after the first batch of Geek Outs had been shipped out to some of the luckier KickStarter backers, so it appears as if Windows compatibility was a low priority, and probably didn't get a lot of testing before being released. Given those circumstances, it would be pretty hard to predict this problem in the lab before the product shipped.

If the volume worked as intended (designed) by LHLabs, pushing the volume down button on the Geek Out would just lower the volume, right? So, this isn't necessarily bad design - it's a bug, either in the firmware of the Geek Out, or in the Windows driver. I've read that Larry is working on a firmware fix for this, which should be available soon. Perhaps you are saying that having volume buttons on the Geek Out in the first place was the poor design decision? I guess I could almost agree with that, but in the context of LHLabs, this appears to be part of the personality of all of the LHLabs products - they appear to want to give their customers as much choice as possible. I think perhaps they may be paying too much attention to what everyone over at the LHLabs Geek Force forums is clamoring for, and as a result their products could be compromised by trying to do too much (but I'm just as likely to be wrong - we will need to wait and see for the Geek Pulse/Wave/Blue/Stream/LPS/[enter crowd-funding scheme of the day here]...).

I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered Geek Out 450 (ordered in January, credit card charged in March). I got so tired of waiting and impatient that I purchased another one from a Kickstarter backer who had received several and put one of his extras up for sale. Part of my impatience is YOUR FAULT, Mr. Mercer, due to your extremely positive review of the Geek Out 1000 
tongue_smile.gif

I've had it for a week now, and I am extremely satisfied with it: the sound quality that I'm getting out of it just absolutely blows away the built-in DAC and weak headphone amp in my mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro (listening through PSB M4U 1's). Due to my limited/newby experience with this stuff, the only other dedicated DAC/Amp that I can compare it to is a NuForce Icon iDo (connected to an iPhone 5s), and all I need to say about that comparison is that the iDo isn't getting used anymore.

Now that you've had your Geek Out 1000 for over three months, are you still as happy with it as you were when you first reviewed it? When you need to use a portable USB DAC/amp, what do you throw in your bag with your laptop and headphones? The Geek Out? ALO Island? HRT microStreamer? Dragonfly? All four?

you're right, it was harsh
I was on no sleep - and I got BIG LOVE for Larry and Gavin and I go way back - and he's a good man..

They wanted to incorporate a good portion of what they could from the DaVinci DAC, and thats good!
But it would be GREAT to address it somehow...

But, like I said in my review for Part-Time Audiophile (where I really dig it, and still do) its tough to get used to,
and its a bit un-nerving when using it with IEMS, which I got more sensitive to it as I used my JH-13 Freqphase alot with it this weekend at T.H.E Headphonium in Newport,
we produced T.H.E Headphonium show (me and @warrenpchi ) - so things were HECTIC

but its the sound, the MUSIC WE'RE AFTER RIGHT??

in that case, the Geek Out 1000 still ROCKS!

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #698 of 2,322

Hmmm... That sounds a little harsh. I cannot reproduce this problem when using a Geek Out 450 on a MacBook Pro - no matter how I have the Geek Out set up, playing stuff directly from iTunes, Spotify, or by using Audirvana+, I can't get the volume to jump to maximum no matter how much or in which combinations I play with the up/down buttons on the Geek Out, or with the volume sliders in the menu bar or in the various music playback apps - the caveat being that the master/system volume slider on the MacBook is never at 100%. From everything I've read, this appears to be a Microsoft Windows-only issue?

I know that it's no excuse, but I think we have to remember the context in which the Geek Out was designed and brought to market: If I understand correctly, Light Harmonic / LHLabs at the time consisted of Larry Ho, Gavin Fish, and maybe one or two other people? It appears as if all of their testing was done on Mac OS X. A working Windows driver wasn't even released until after the first batch of Geek Outs had been shipped out to some of the luckier KickStarter backers, so it appears as if Windows compatibility was a low priority, and probably didn't get a lot of testing before being released. Given those circumstances, it would be pretty hard to predict this problem in the lab before the product shipped.

If the volume worked as intended (designed) by LHLabs, pushing the volume down button on the Geek Out would just lower the volume, right? So, this isn't necessarily bad design - it's a bug, either in the firmware of the Geek Out, or in the Windows driver. I've read that Larry is working on a firmware fix for this, which should be available soon. Perhaps you are saying that having volume buttons on the Geek Out in the first place was the poor design decision? I guess I could almost agree with that, but in the context of LHLabs, this appears to be part of the personality of all of the LHLabs products - they appear to want to give their customers as much choice as possible. I think perhaps they may be paying too much attention to what everyone over at the LHLabs Geek Force forums is clamoring for, and as a result their products could be compromised by trying to do too much (but I'm just as likely to be wrong - we will need to wait and see for the Geek Pulse/Wave/Blue/Stream/LPS/[enter crowd-funding scheme of the day here]...).

I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered Geek Out 450 (ordered in January, credit card charged in March). I got so tired of waiting and impatient that I purchased another one from a Kickstarter backer who had received several and put one of his extras up for sale. Part of my impatience is YOUR FAULT, Mr. Mercer, due to your extremely positive review of the Geek Out 1000 
tongue_smile.gif

I've had it for a week now, and I am extremely satisfied with it: the sound quality that I'm getting out of it just absolutely blows away the built-in DAC and weak headphone amp in my mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro (listening through PSB M4U 1's). Due to my limited/newby experience with this stuff, the only other dedicated DAC/Amp that I can compare it to is a NuForce Icon iDo (connected to an iPhone 5s), and all I need to say about that comparison is that the iDo isn't getting used anymore.

Now that you've had your Geek Out 1000 for over three months, are you still as happy with it as you were when you first reviewed it? When you need to use a portable USB DAC/amp, what do you throw in your bag with your laptop and headphones? The Geek Out? ALO Island? HRT microStreamer? Dragonfly? All four?

Great question!
Right now - new Dragonfly ver 1.2, HRT microStreamer, and Geek Out 1000!
as I usually stick my Sennheiser Momentums in my messenger bag, w/ my MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs,
and carry an Audeze in my roadcase (these days the LCD-X more and more - for these lil' guys)

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #699 of 2,322
  Right now - new Dragonfly ver 1.2, HRT microStreamer, and Geek Out 1000!

Why all three? Why don't you get only the Geek Out 1000 with you? :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #700 of 2,322
  Why all three? Why don't you get only the Geek Out 1000 with you? :)

honestly,
w/ my OCD

I like different signatures with different can/cable combos

- like I love the Geek Out 1000 w/ my Alpha Dogs
and the Dragonfly ver 1.2 w/ my Momentums w/ Double Helix Cables Molecule SE w/ Fusion

and I love the MS - because in case I go somewhere and they need a DAC, it has a dedicated 2.25v output
for use as a straight DAC - along with a headphone output! and it's tiny, so I can carry a DAC w/ me everywhere!
it's the audio disease 
biggrin.gif

I used the microStreamer as the DAC w/ my NuForce HAP-100 and it rocks!
Couldn't believe it...  for example:

but if I had to choose ONE?
right now it's the Geek Out 1000

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #701 of 2,322
  honestly,
w/ my OCD

I like different signatures with different can/cable combos

- like I love the Geek Out 1000 w/ my Alpha Dogs
and the Dragonfly ver 1.2 w/ my Momentums w/ Double Helix Cables Molecule SE w/ Fusion

and I love the MS - because in case I go somewhere and they need a DAC, it has a dedicated 2.25v output
for use as a straight DAC - along with a headphone output! and it's tiny, so I can carry a DAC w/ me everywhere!
it's the audio disease 
biggrin.gif

I used the microStreamer as the DAC w/ my NuForce HAP-100 and it rocks!
Couldn't believe it...  for example:

but if I had to choose ONE?
right now it's the Geek Out 1000

I get you. OCD is a part of high end audio :)

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #702 of 2,322
not too sure if this has been answered, but a question was asked a long time ago:

how does the GO1000 (or GO450 for that matter) fare when fed to an amp (O2, magni, e.t.c) through the 47ohm line out?

I'm wondering the same thing. Once I get the Geek Out, I'll try that and compare it to the ODAC I have.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #703 of 2,322
The geek out 100 is amazing out of a good USB port. The unit I've been using is a great pairing for my more sensitive IEMs.

Of the bunch, the 450 seems to be the most balanced but I can see the bass lovers slightly preferring the 1000.

I'd strongly recommend people jump in on the Wave pricing now for the 32GB unit ($158 and expandable with an SD slot).

With regard to the Resonnesence Herus, the HRT Microstreamer, the AudioQuest, the Centrance DACPort, the Audioengine D3, the Meridian Explorer, and even my ODAC, I was going to do a full comparison of these DACs in the category. I didn't bother doing a full review because it was immediately obvious that the Geek Out units are not only more resolving, but way better tonally than anything else in the category. The 450 has replaced the ODAC as my DAC only portable choice which is pretty darn good.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #704 of 2,322
I posted before,but still have the same issues. Love the Geek Out 1k sound,using it has its problems. First,the volume issue, don't get the settings use. Second, while it's plugged in, can't listen through speakers. Do I always need to disconnect it? Is there a link someone can provide so I can use it regularly without all the associated problems? Thanks.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #705 of 2,322
I'm still listening - And you should be excited! The red is cool - but I'm sure the silver will be a really cool finish as well.

It runs warmer than the other USB-stick style amp/DACs - but it's far more dynamic too.

I wanted to ask because I have read a few of your reviews and impressions on some usb DAC's and I have really like them because you can tell it is a passion for music you are talking about here and though it is nice sometimes to have charts and graphs of differences in frequency and etc...It does not help me as much as hearing listening to this device made me want to listen to music  more often. 

Anyways I wanted to ask if I could buy either the Geek out 450(tight budget) or the HRT microstreamer what would you pick? You personally, because I understand that everyone has their own preferences. I just am up in the air, and I want to find the right blend. Whether it is a 120$ for Dragonfly v1.2(used) to the Audioengine d3 which I hear has a somewhat analog sound to it and would sound great for anyone with headphones that run on the bright side. Which both my DT 990 pro's and the soundMagic HP100 closed back headphone are brighter in the treble section. I was looking at the ODAC, the HRT Music Streamer 2(which is under a 100$ used currently) the Microstreamer, Audioengine d3, the DACport lx. I have a feeling the ODAC may be too transparent to enjoy a bright headphone much though. I have never listened to the mix though so I could be totally wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back