Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
May 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #631 of 2,322

It will be at least a week before spending time on a comparison between the nano iDSD and GO450 with my macbook pro retina and HP50.
likely will be condensed report as well, with only about 2 lossless AIFF files, and then with 2 or 3 DSD files.  
I'm not a seasoned reviewer, nor would my ears prove or disprove anything ML wrote either.   :wink:

at the moment, when I'm listening to either unit over course of a few days, don't have any "complaints".
this might be too close to call in the end..... 

Here are some free DSD downloads:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/hfs1.htm
http://audiogate.bluecoastrecords.com/

May 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #632 of 2,322
VOLUME CONTROL revisited.

Playing a bit on the volume control and this is how I understood it (for now):

In the LH device control panel, under output volume control we have two volume slider:

The Master (Volume Buttons) and Analogue1 & 2 (System Volume Left and Right).
When plugging your GO, Master Volume (Volume Buttons) are set to MAX (Bitperfect?).
Analogue 1 & 2 acquires volume settings from OS.

When touching Volume Buttons to adjust ((Bulging button is Volume UP),
GO sets to value of Master (hence blasting your ears since it sets to MAX (Bitperfect?)).

Reducing Master Volume from Control Panel (in my case, half) will eliminate this problem. 
[COLOR=080808]But my general advice is: [/COLOR][COLOR=080808]Don't touch the Volume Buttons. Use OS/Application Volume..[/COLOR]

When moving slider of OS System Volume to adjust, GO sets to value of Analogue 1 & 2

Remember, removing and replugging GO will reset Master Volume to MAX.

Note: I'm saying MAX(Bitperfect?), because when you slide Master Volume all the way up the the value is Greyed out.
Larry was saying before about setting volume to Max to achieve Bitperfect. I am not sure.

Other Notes:

You could also disable Master, Analogue 1 & 2 volume by clicking Volume Icon. 
Disabling Master Volume will revert to MAX(Bitperfect?).   

Or set Analogue 1 (Left) or Analogue 2 (Right) values by clicking the Link Button and slide the desired values. 

That's the same behavior I observe. People kept insisting Master defaulted back to OS volume, but as you explained, that's not true. This has to be a bug and not by design because a design like this is dangerous for health and equipment. What irked me more than LH making such a mistake despite over the top QC, is those users and forum members insisting that this is not a bug and that the rest of us with bloody ears were doing it wrong.

May 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #633 of 2,322
  Thanks jexby and Roscoeiii for your posts, but can you kindly expand on your comments about the SQ of the Geek Out and iDSD Nano beyond the issue of hiss? You know, tone, resolution, soundstaging, dynamics, DSD vs redbook playback, etc? Michael Lavorgna's notes are all we have so far. Thanks.

Sorry not a pro at any of this, and didn’t have days on end to compare.
Found a spare couple hours to “back n forth” with the same tracks playing so here is the summary.

Source: MacBook Pro 13” retina OS X 10.9.3
Audirvana+ 1.5.12
NAD HP50  (yes these have a “RoomFeel” sound which may skew a bit of the below)

Note:  no measured volume matching.  Luckily I could "get close", leave both DACs plugged in, knob stayed in same position on iDSD, Audirvana remembers volume setting of GO450.

In short, my setup and ears could find no “flaws” with any elemental sounds or acoustics.
I’d be hard pressed for anyone to “complain” that one unit blows the other away.
(if, of course, other parts of the chain match these units well.)

1.  Summary of differences playing 24/96 FLAC and AIFF 16/44:

Biggest difference=
GO450 sounds like you are on stage with the music.
nano iDSD is about 2 rows back, yet also delivered more a sense of “room acoustics” feel at times.

Other differences harder to identify were:

GO450:  has a tad wider soundstage.
goes a bit lower on deep bass guitar strings.
slightly better instrument and voice separation (clarity) during complex pieces.
You might hear or notice background keyboards or parts of harmony a bit easier with GO450.

nano iDSD:
sounds a bit more like being in a room acoustics wise, especially drums.
drum skins sound a bit more real as do other drum kit elements (wooden or cymbal taps).

sometimes bass drum feels more enveloping, with more initial punch.
vocals very slightly recessed compared to GO450, but neither’s vocals are “out front” at all.

2.  playing DSD files:
previous slight difference in soundstage width between GO450 and nano iDSD is further decreased.
iDSD now more like “front row”, as compared to “on stage" with GO450.
instrument separation and clarity also closer (same?) between both units.

Only recommendation might be:
make the choice between these two small but amazing DAC/Amps based on features, not just the sonics.
the battery in the nano iDSD makes it perfect with iPhone/iPad as well as computer, which is why I’m keeping nano iDSD (mostly around home and travel) for long awhile.

GO450 at the office.

Purchase with a 30 trial Money Day Back Guarantee, and you're unlikely to be disappointed unless it turns out to be an under/over powered amp pairing with your headphones.

please don’t ask me to repeat the above with HE-500, HD600 or IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #635 of 2,322
  Open question: has anyone here received Geek Outs which they pre-ordered from their website and not kickstarter?

yes.  my GO450 was a pre-order from early October 2013.  arrived May 15.

it's also going to be RMA'd to fix the 3D hum/buzz problem which is due to a DC offset issue on some units.
(according to my support ticket)

May 23, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #636 of 2,322
Open question: has anyone here received Geek Outs which they pre-ordered from their website and not kickstarter?

I started a ticket on the lhlabs website and I received this reply:
Gavin has posted a update via KickStarter. Our chassis have arrived but none have passed our in-house QC check. This has caused a slight delay in our fulfillment process. We have slated the CES winners to begin fulfillment in the first week of June. I do apologize for this and thank you for your continued support and patience.

So I'm guessing any remaining pre-orders will be shipped after that.

May 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #637 of 2,322

it's also going to be RMA'd to fix the 3D hum/buzz problem which is due to a DC offset issue on some units.
(according to my support ticket)

jexby, thanks for the GO vs. iDSD impressions.  

For the "3D buzz" you are sending your unit in for...is it noticeable on full-sized phones or only with IEMs?

May 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #638 of 2,322
  jexby, thanks for the GO vs. iDSD impressions.  

For the "3D buzz" you are sending your unit in for...is it noticeable on full-sized phones or only with IEMs?

So far I've heard 3D buzz  with IEMs (Heir Audio 4.AiS) and one pair of (sensitive?) headphones NAD HP50.
when plugged into 0.47 headphone jack.

May 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #639 of 2,322

Sorry not a pro at any of this, and didn’t have days on end to compare.
Found a spare couple hours to “back n forth” with the same tracks playing so here is the summary.

Source: MacBook Pro 13” retina OS X 10.9.3
Audirvana+ 1.5.12
NAD HP50  (yes these have a “RoomFeel” sound which may skew a bit of the below)

Note:  no measured volume matching.  Luckily I could "get close", leave both DACs plugged in, knob stayed in same position on iDSD, Audirvana remembers volume setting of GO450.

In short, my setup and ears could find no “flaws” with any elemental sounds or acoustics.
I’d be hard pressed for anyone to “complain” that one unit blows the other away.
(if, of course, other parts of the chain match these units well.)

1.  Summary of differences playing 24/96 FLAC and AIFF 16/44:

Biggest difference=
GO450 sounds like you are on stage with the music.
nano iDSD is about 2 rows back, yet also delivered more a sense of “room acoustics” feel at times.

Other differences harder to identify were:

GO450:  has a tad wider soundstage.
goes a bit lower on deep bass guitar strings.
slightly better instrument and voice separation (clarity) during complex pieces.
You might hear or notice background keyboards or parts of harmony a bit easier with GO450.

nano iDSD:
sounds a bit more like being in a room acoustics wise, especially drums.
drum skins sound a bit more real as do other drum kit elements (wooden or cymbal taps).

sometimes bass drum feels more enveloping, with more initial punch.
vocals very slightly recessed compared to GO450, but neither’s vocals are “out front” at all.

2.  playing DSD files:
previous slight difference in soundstage width between GO450 and nano iDSD is further decreased.
iDSD now more like “front row”, as compared to “on stage" with GO450.
instrument separation and clarity also closer (same?) between both units.

Only recommendation might be:
make the choice between these two small but amazing DAC/Amps based on features, not just the sonics.
the battery in the nano iDSD makes it perfect with iPhone/iPad as well as computer, which is why I’m keeping nano iDSD (mostly around home and travel) for long awhile.

GO450 at the office.

Purchase with a 30 trial Money Day Back Guarantee, and you're unlikely to be disappointed unless it turns out to be an under/over powered amp pairing with your headphones.

please don’t ask me to repeat the above with HE-500, HD600 or IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks so much Jexby!

I have the GO 720 and should be getting the iDSD tomorrow. so I will try a comparison as well.

May 24, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #640 of 2,322

Hi, we will get another customer service and technical support people very soon to resolve this temporarily overload situation.

The major reason for pre-order's delay was due to the last batch Chassis, we found the surface treatment issue. And we request they to re-do that ASAP. And this cause an unexpected delay for two weeks. 

My sincerely apology for your wait and thanks for your patience. 

Larry

5th week of May is coming, and I haven't received any email regarding the delivery of the Geek Out :frowning2:
Another delay?  Sigh...

May 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #641 of 2,322

5th week of May is coming, and I haven't received any email regarding the delivery of the Geek Out :frowning2:
Another delay?  Sigh...

They had a setback in production. The casings sent from their supplier didn't meet the standards LHLabs has in place. They'll be resuming shipping the first week in June.

May 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #643 of 2,322
I plugged my HE6 into the GO 1000 and to be honest was totally shocked. At 65% volume, it was almost too loud. I am going to see how they sound after the GO burns in.

At 4.65 mW/90 dB SPL, 325 mW from the Geek Out 1000 gets the HE6 to 108 dB SPL. I sure hope that's loud enough for you. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back