Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,022 of 2,322
OK, so I have the geek out 1000 dac and it is a really huge leap forward in terms of sound quality for me (In my ignorance I have always been running Audez'e Lcd-3 straight off the pc/phone jack) and it sounded much better. However, I would like to ask if this setup enables the Geek out to be functional with a HTC one (m7).
The setup will be connecting a battery pack via a usb to barrel adapter to a powered usb hub, then connecting the phone to the hub via an usb otg cable, and finally plugging the geek out into one of the usb ports on the hub.
Also, will I need to use the usb audio player pro software? I was reading the other thread on usb dacs and Android, and the UAPP as well as UARP was mentioned as a software side usb audio enabler. Will default player work with the dac out of the box or do I need that app? Thanks for your time :).

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,023 of 2,322
OK, so I have the geek out 1000 dac and it is a really huge leap forward in terms of sound quality for me (In my ignorance I have always been running Audez'e Lcd-3 straight off the pc/phone jack) and it sounded much better. However, I would like to ask if this setup enables the Geek out to be functional with a HTC one (m7).
The setup will be connecting a battery pack via a usb to barrel adapter to a powered usb hub, then connecting the phone to the hub via an usb otg cable, and finally plugging the geek out into one of the usb ports on the hub.
Also, will I need to use the usb audio player pro software? I was reading the other thread on usb dacs and Android, and the UAPP as well as UARP was mentioned as a software side usb audio enabler. Will default player work with the dac out of the box or do I need that app? Thanks for your time
smily_headphones1.gif

This was successfully done by our backers on kickstarter using a powered USB hub and UAPP which gave us the idea for the Geek Stream campaign (you should check it out) :)

Manny/Light Harmonic

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #1,024 of 2,322
WOW I had no idea about this! Totally grabbing one for my Android...hope it's nice and slim like it looks!

Quote:

This was successfully done by our backers on kickstarter using a powered USB hub and UAPP which gave us the idea for the Geek Stream campaign (you should check it out) :)

Manny/Light Harmonic

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,026 of 2,322
  How many hours does it need to be burned in?
And what is the best configuration in Jriver? Thanks.

Just plug it in and start enjoying. Mine sounded great straight out of the box. If there's any burn in required then you'll only experience the sound getting better. If not, you'll have spent the time enjoying the music you love.

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #1,027 of 2,322
Also, will I need to use the usb audio player pro software? I was reading the other thread on usb dacs and Android, and the UAPP as well as UARP was mentioned as a software side usb audio enabler. Will default player work with the dac out of the box or do I need that app? Thanks for your time
smily_headphones1.gif

Have seen this setup but with IPAD.

And Iphone

I have both Galaxy Note 3 and Note 10.1 Ed. 2014 and my GO1000 is working, strait from their usb ports.
See Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711267/light-harmonic-geek-out-em-1000-impressions-thread/900#post_10750462

I have those cheap Y cables to plug-in on my battery pack. But it still sucks up my devices's batteries.  It has a different topology than the one above which I am still looking.

One option that I haven't tried are the ones Elijah Audio markets. A Micro OTG w/ Battery Lead.  A Y-cable of which the other is Data only (no power) and the other is Power only.
Link: https://www.facebook.com/ElijahAudio?ref=stream

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,030 of 2,322

What do you want to drive with it?

The hardest phones that I have to drive are the HD 650. I can max everything with those and it does not get too loud to listen to, but it is clean. I can pump it up by adding pre-amp gain in Foobar, to loud enough that it bothers me. Still no clipping or compression.
All of my other phones (HE 400, HP50, HD598, X1, etc) get loud enough to hurt you, and it is still clean.

Getting something like the Vali kind of defeats the purpose that I got my GO 1000 for. That is portability to use with my laptop and not have to drag lots of gear and cables with me when I travel.

I am getting a set of HE 400i soon. I will be interested to see ho the GO 1000 drives the planars.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,033 of 2,322
HD800
And mine is GO 720 , so it's not as powerful as yours.

Are you unhappy with the performance now?

This is a personal bias, but I have never liked the results of running out of an amp to drive another amp. I think a true line level out is a better solution. For me, looking at something for desktop use, I consider a good standalone DAC feeding something like the Vali (or your choice of amp) might be a better solution than the GO driving the amp.

I have to say, because of my bias, and even though I have several standalone Headphone amps, I have not even tried driving any of them with my GO. I only have used it directly driving the various headphones/IEMs  that I use. I does what I need from it in that role and it does it without having to drag another box, power supply and cables around.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,035 of 2,322
Are you unhappy with the performance now?

This is a personal bias, but I have never liked the results of running out of an amp to drive another amp. I think a true line level out is a better solution. For me, looking at something for desktop use, I consider a good standalone DAC feeding something like the Vali (or your choice of amp) might be a better solution than the GO driving the amp.

I have to say, because of my bias, and even though I have several standalone Headphone amps, I have not even tried driving any of them with my GO. I only have used it directly driving the various headphones/IEMs  that I use. I does what I need from it in that role and it does it without having to drag another box, power supply and cables around.

I also don't like double amping, but i thought the 0.47 output was true line level out, guess i was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back