Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,996 of 2,322
Not 'cheap' but this is getting pretty good impressions elsewhere on the web

http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen

I own the Regen green and it's awesome.
Improved Regen Amber coming soon!

May 10, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,998 of 2,322
I've seen usb isolators like the teradak. Don't they suffer from transfer rate bottlenecks? I saw that most won't work on sample rates over 24bit 96khz.

Nope the data-leg is a separate line direct to any USB DAC. The Teradak's purpose is cleaner linear USB power merged with data line just before the DAC.

May 10, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2,000 of 2,322

Nope the data-leg is a separate line direct to any USB DAC. The Teradak's purpose is cleaner linear USB power merged with data line just before the DAC.

Could you send me a link to where I can get one? Have you tried on 24/192Khz and above? DSD?

I've checked their website but their order form looks like it was intended for bulk orders. Also, do you have an enclosure?

May 10, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #2,001 of 2,322
  Could you send me a link to where I can get one? Have you tried on 24/192Khz and above? DSD?

I've checked their website but their order form looks like it was intended for bulk orders. Also, do you have an enclosure?

Everything lit-up sample rate-wise (over 44/16) on Audirvana + preferences...so if i had the over 44/16 files it would have played.
If you contact them direct (Teradak) they are $20 cheaper than ebay including airmail shipping. I rolled that saving over to part-pay a custom cryo up-occ gold plated USB plugs data-only cable (red below) before. Not claiming a higher grade data cable will do anything more, just some nice cabling is all.

May 10, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #2,002 of 2,322
Will it work with my DAC?
It works with dac's that support up to 96Khz/24bit, it does not work with 192Khz/24bit sample rates because they require USB High Speed 480Mbit/s. 
Also, some dac's requires more than 200mA power. This might be if they have a headphone amplifier, or a MCU that draws more power.
You can always send it back for a full refund in case it doesn't work with your equipment. You can ask us first for an opinion about if your equipment is supported.

This is from the description from a similar item. Aside from the power output, it mentions that since it only supports Full Speed but not High Speed (480Mbit/s) the transfer rate is limited to 24/96Khz. The Teradak appears to be Full Speed as well, but only up to 12Mbit/s like this item is. So I would like to know if you had any issues playing DSD, and files up to and above 192Khz.

May 10, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #2,003 of 2,322
  Will it work with my DAC?
It works with dac's that support up to 96Khz/24bit, it does not work with 192Khz/24bit sample rates because they require USB High Speed 480Mbit/s. 
Also, some dac's requires more than 200mA power. This might be if they have a headphone amplifier, or a MCU that draws more power.
You can always send it back for a full refund in case it doesn't work with your equipment. You can ask us first for an opinion about if your equipment is supported.

This is from the description from a similar item. Aside from the power output, it mentions that since it only supports Full Speed but not High Speed (480Mbit/s) the transfer rate is limited to 24/96Khz. The Teradak appears to be Full Speed as well, but only up to 12Mbit/s like this item is. So I would like to know if you had any issues playing DSD, and files up to and above 192Khz.

The legs are separate.
Data and power.
Teradak is not a bottleneck.Data goes straight from my Air to my GO1000 before at the data + power end merger plug .Your data is not going through Teradak U9....it's a 1-trick pony....only linear cleaner power supply is all it does.
I never played over 44/16 but my Audirvana + registered all sample rates good to go on preferences....DSD was blanked because i had not chosen DSD over PCM or whatever it was....as long as your USB out is up to the task of over 96/24 you will be fine.

May 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #2,004 of 2,322
I'll be sure to shoot Teradak an email. I'm short of funds these days so as much as I would like to get the Wyrd, Vaunix or the Uptone, I can't at the moment. I will probably get any one of those in the future but I just need something for now so I can use my GO1000.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! I actually learned a lot today. 

Lohb: special thanks for your replies. Much appreciated and I hope I didn't come off sounding too skeptical. I trust your advice and will email Teradak now. 

Thanks again everyone.

May 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #2,005 of 2,322
I've seen usb isolators like the teradak. Don't they suffer from transfer rate bottlenecks? I saw that most won't work on sample rates over 24bit 96khz.

Is the TeraDak unit you're referring to the X1(U9)?  If yes that works on the power leg, not the data leg, so it should not affect the data transfer rate at all. I'm sending DoP at 384K from PC to the Geek Out 720.  Just to repeat the TeraDak unit only sends Power (+5V and GND) the lpatop/PC/Music source is sending only DATA +/-.  As Lohb indicated the TeraDak unit only passes POWER over the power leg of a split cable.  Kwangsun, what cable are are you referring to when you saw most not working?

May 16, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #2,006 of 2,322
Is the Magni 2 uber a big [COLOR=660099][COLOR=660099]improvement[/COLOR] [/COLOR]over the Geek Out's 720 amp?

Ah, something I can answer! To my ears, I found the Geek Out 450 overall a better sounding combo. The Geek Out had better bass impact and was simply more fun. MM stack had better imaging but felt quite sterile otherwise.

May 16, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #2,007 of 2,322
May 17, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,009 of 2,322
Is this a different OPAMP to V1 ? I forgot which OPAMP it uses.

Output Stage OpAmp: Texas Instruments TPA6120A2
Amplifier Output Bias: Class A

EDIT: Just found the comp. chart...

May 17, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2,010 of 2,322
  Is this a different OPAMP to V1 ? I forgot which OPAMP it uses.

Output Stage OpAmp: Texas Instruments TPA6120A2
Amplifier Output Bias: Class A

EDIT: Just found the comp. chart...

Yeah, pretty much the exact same thing under the hood. I doubt very much there will any real SQ increase. However, definitely looking forward to adjustable gain. That will be very useful indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back