Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #181 of 2,322
Your right. The LH ASIO does not appear to allow control of the sample rate but it does automatically detect it and the LH Control Panel does report it. Would have been useful to have a 4 line instruction manual

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #182 of 2,322
One more try. The LH ASIO Windows driver allows automatic detection and sample rate control within the player, at least with the KORG Audiogate player; with JRiver, it auto detects but doesn't allow sample rate control. The LH WASPI driver autodetects sample rate but does not appear to support sample rate control with the KORG Audiogate player; using it with JRiver, the player cannot play 176.4 khz files (didn't try it yet w/ 88.2 files). Looks as though Windows software player and device driver interaction is all over the place. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #183 of 2,322
  One more try. The LH ASIO Windows driver allows automatic detection and sample rate control within the player, at least with the KORG Audiogate player; with JRiver, it auto detects but doesn't allow sample rate control. The LH WASPI driver autodetects sample rate but does not appear to support sample rate control with the KORG Audiogate player; using it with JRiver, the player cannot play 176.4 khz files (didn't try it yet w/ 88.2 files). Looks as though Windows software player and device driver interaction is all over the place. 

I'm not exactly sure I fully follow the above, however I had no issues at all using the LH Labs ASIO driver and JRMC19, native/file sample rate detection/switching and playback, including 88.2 and 176.4 if memory serves me.

I have since moved the GO 1000 to my Mac mini based bedroom system so I can't confirm here at work today.

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #184 of 2,322
Sorry for being confusing. The LH ASIO driver works just fine all the way to 192/24 w/ JRMC19. The partial problem is with  JRMC19 and the LH WASAPI driver.

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #186 of 2,322

i find their forums to be the most confusing i've ever run across.
i can never find what i'm looking for.
maybe it's me?................but i think not

I'm unfortunately with you there!

I gotta say though - my Geek Out 1000 has broken-in further since my initial review - 
and had a fantastically engaging outside listening sesh w/ my LCD-X and LCD-XCs tonight (it was dead quiet outside for some reason tonight - though I am out in Sonoma County now - with plenty of space,
we get some road-noise from the 101 sometimes - and it was so nice to use my open cans outside)...

The liquidity AND control in the bass has increased dramatically - where I didn't see an issue before - its just FAR more reaching down there now,
especially w/ my LCD-XCs! The midrange is getting even silkier, with no apparent veiling - and the highs are also glistening more.

I'm enjoying hearing it get better and better!

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #188 of 2,322
Just received my Geek1000. Wow this thing runs hot (temperature). I can't find the manual and have two questions which I hope people can help:
1. Using Audirvana+ on my iMac, which volume should I max and which should I control? I recall Mike Mercer saying we should not adjust using the Mac as the Geek shoots to max everytime you do that.
2. Is there any significance to the 7 lights on the Geek? Just simple volume lights?

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #189 of 2,322
Just received my Geek1000. Wow this thing runs hot (temperature). I can't find the manual and have two questions which I hope people can help:
1. Using Audirvana+ on my iMac, which volume should I max and which should I control? I recall Mike Mercer saying we should not adjust using the Mac as the Geek shoots to max everytime you do that.
2. Is there any significance to the 7 lights on the Geek? Just simple volume lights?

Okay ignore my 2nd question. I was so keen to play it I didn't even turn over the unit and there's a sticker there. Unfortunately one more question. How to turn awesomiefier on and off? Sorry for these questions but I can't find the manual on lhlabs.com

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #190 of 2,322
Click the two Volume buttons to turn on/off awesomefier.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #192 of 2,322
Freq multiplier indicator Bro.
Ex :
44.1 x 2 = 88.2
48 x 2 = 96
44.1 x 4 = 176.4
48 x 4 = 196

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #194 of 2,322
I'm having a little bit of problem in understanding the volume issue here. If I get a Geek 1000 will I be able to use more sensitive headphones like the AKG K550s by controlling the volume in Windows and never touching the buttons on the unit?

Apr 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #195 of 2,322
I'm having a little bit of problem in understanding the volume issue here. If I get a Geek 1000 will I be able to use more sensitive headphones like the AKG K550s by controlling the volume in Windows and never touching the buttons on the unit?

If you want to use the Windows volume control then you will never have to use the buttons.
It was always my assumption that this is a sonic compromise, but would welcome more detailed information from those more knowledgeable than I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back