Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #211 of 2,322
Well, at last check, my 450 may finally make its way into the mail sometime next week and I will be able to test it for myself.  You'd think by now there would be quite a few in the hands of owners.  You might try posting on the LHLabs forums as well to see if there is more activity there around this device.

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #212 of 2,322
So the volume would not be reset to its maximum when using the Windows volume control? Also, will I be able to get confortable volume levels with something like the K550s or will it sound too loud whatever I do in Windows? If 10% in Windows would be the normal listening level for such cans then it would be great.

Volume should not get reset on both Mac and Windows.

So this is the design. Geek Out will follow the volume settings from computer. Also, Geek Out could change the volume by its own buttons.

Every time you replug the Geek Out, or you change the system volume settings in computer. Geek Out will follow computer's order... :wink:

If computer's OS could remember the volume setting (usually it is), the Geek Out will be set in the original volume level.

Larry

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #213 of 2,322
Volume should not get reset on both Mac and Windows.

So this is the design. Geek Out will follow the volume settings from computer. Also, Geek Out could change the volume by its own buttons.

Every time you replug the Geek Out, or you change the system volume settings in computer. Geek Out will follow computer's order... :wink:

If computer's OS could remember the volume setting (usually it is), the Geek Out will be set in the original volume level.

Larry

That's great, thanks!
All I need to know before ordering is if more sensitive hedphones like the K550s or the Momentums are usable at all by controlling only the Windows volume or if the volume is too loud even at 10%.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #215 of 2,322
What does the symbol next to the 47 ohm output mean? Thanks.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #217 of 2,322
It means Line Out, for connection to a preamp/line level input.

The 47 Ohm output also has the icon for "bigger" headphones, as opposed to the icon for smaller headphones next to the .47 Ohm output (bigger 'phones typically being of higher impedance).

Thanks.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #218 of 2,322
For those on Mac and Audirvana+, under Preferences and Audio System and Active Audio Device, are the letters DSD64 and DAD128 greyed out?

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #219 of 2,322
For those on Mac and Audirvana+, under Preferences and Audio System and Active Audio Device, are the letters DSD64 and DAD128 greyed out?

To elaborate, they are greyed out as Native DSD Capability is set to "Automatic Detection". Looking at the A+ user manual page 13, I changed it from Automatic Detection to "initial dCS method" as recommended so as to force native DSD Streaming but then it won't play. So I have set it back to "Automatic Detection" with the letters DSD64 and DSD128 greyed out again.
Is this correct and am I playing back DSD correctly?
Thanks.

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #220 of 2,322
Tried playing a DSD file and see if its not greyed out? Maybe its default is 0/False because no DSD signal was detected.

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #221 of 2,322
Hi
Tried playing a DSD file and see if its not greyed out? Maybe its default is 0/False because no DSD signal was detected.
Hi, yes I played a DSD file (.dsf) and it is still greyed out.

Apr 12, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #222 of 2,322
Sorry no expert in Mac OS..

But you have indicator lights in Geek Out. If the DSD led is on therefore it receives DSD signals.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #224 of 2,322
Ok I'll try that but I thought that means it will convert to PCM i.e. not playing as DSD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back