Lifespan of Headphones?
Feb 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I searched but didn't find anything on this and am curious to know - Do headphones die eventually after years use? Do the drivers start to deteriorate (due to materials and I would assume environments might also have an effect like everything else). I understand how you can damage a pair (and your ears) through abuse of levels, but let's say you're careful and you take care of them (and your ears); can you expect a lifetime of service from a good pair, give or take a cable repair and ear pad replacement here and there? Thanks.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 17
Not sure about phones made today, no doubt like everything else the quality of materials is less than years ago, but folks on here often talk about their 10+ and even 20+ year old cans that are still working and working good.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 17
Koss gives (used to give at least) life time warranty.
There are enough phones around that have lasted 40+ years without any deterioration in sonics. Earpads are the first to go usually.
I think if you take good care of them they will last you a life time.

ps: I own a pair of 35 year old HD414 that sound like when I bought them.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earpads are the first to go usually.
I think if you take good care of them they will last you a life time.

I've got a pair of ~10 year old Sony V600s. The earpads have collapsed but the rest of the headphone is fine. I didn't even treat them all that well.

A friend of mine has a pair of AKG 240s 600 ohms from when they were first released. A couple of years ago he had to move around for a while so he stored them in an attic and forgot about them for a few years. A few months ago he found them. They were in great condition.

Headphones that are treated decently (not even well) will last a long time. There are always exceptions, but that's to be expected.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 17
If taken well care off I am sure you can enjoy them for decades.
I have personally owned a handful pairs which have been 20-35 years old, and still were running strong. Some around here even have pairs closing in on their 50's anniversary.

Handle carefully and they will last.
smile.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 17
It's hard to tell. Eventually, pads break down and need to be replaced. Drivers can last a lifetime but they are very fragile and can develop problems through no fault of your own. I have owned many many different pairs of headphones and have had to replace drivers a few times. Twice with Grado HP-1000 and once with AKG K1000. This can be very expensive. Those three repairs alone cost me over $700. Also, the Koss KSC-35 never lasts me very long before breaking or developing a buzzing driver but I love the way it sounds so I keep buying it.

Feb 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 17
I think it depends on how loud you listen to your headphones and materials used in the manufacture of the drivers. Louder volume means more movement of the driver material and that can stress it out quicker. I remember an old pair of speakers from the early '70s where the rubber diaphragm had worn right through from pusing in/out and yet a friend has a pair of old Celestions from the '70s that still sound perfect today. Just 1" of the seal on the diaphragm has come loose on one speaker and can be easily fixed with some silicon glue or something like that. All depends on materials used and how hard you drive them.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 17
Good headphones will last as long as spares are available.

I still have my first headphones (somewhere) - AKG K60 - still work but earpads gone.

I still have my old pair of Beyer DT 100s - don't use them anymore (they made my ears sweat) but they still work and spares are still available.

Both above from the 1970's.

My first Sennheisers were the HD 420 - still work but earpads gone and no more spares for this model - (about 30 years old).

I have various Sennheisers from the 1980s (222, 230, 430, etc.) for which earpads are still available (I think).

My HD 25-1 will be 20 years old this year - still going strong and used all the time - parts still available.

My HD 580 are 1991 vintage and still going strong with parts still available.

Etc. etc......

So, providing you look after them, good headphones will go on for a very long time providing you can get replacement earpads from the manufacturer; as these are the one thing that needs replacing regularly.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 17
HD540s now 17yo and still going strong, my main cans right now.

I washed the pads recently, the foam had all but deteriorated so they are now 'defoamed'
smily_headphones1.gif

But the sounds is, to my memory, as good as new. I think if they had a box like the 600/650s, they would be in even better physical shape.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks all, I suppose then my hearing will be the first to go provided that I continue to take good care of my cans!

I also have a pair of HD 650s, I love the box but am thinking of purchasing a case for them as the box itself is coming apart at the hinges; any recommendations there?

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Good Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD540s now 17yo and still going strong, my main cans right now.

I washed the pads recently, the foam had all but deteriorated so they are now 'defoamed'
smily_headphones1.gif

But the sound is, to my memory, as good as new. I think if they had a box like the 600/650s, they would be in even better physical shape.

If they had a box like the 600/650, they are likely to be the HD 540 Gold - this has a wooden box. I think replacement earpads are still available for them.

John (Tech. Support - Sennheiser UK)

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 17
Headphones will last for decades - I have pairs that are 20-30 years old that still sound fine. Though I usually put the most mileage on current production headphones and only get the rare ones out sparingly.

Feb 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Any long life grados here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back