Lifeguard Takes Use of Headphones Too Far
Aug 4, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand this, but how is this newsworthy at all?

Someone drowned in New York recently, so people want to pin the blame on someone. Unfortunately, this guy had to be the victim...

Granted, it was stupid to wear headphones at work, especially something that obvious.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 34
Well, It's part of his job description to "Pay attention to the drowning people" - which you can't really do with headphones on.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, It's part of his job description to "Pay attention to the drowning people" - which you can't really do with headphones on.
wink.gif

Lifeguard stands are at least 30 feet from the water and to get chest deep at that beach you gotta be 20 feet at least in the water. Sound is not the primary sense to detect someone in trouble. I'm not in any way endorsing headphone use by lifeguards or saying the guard in the pic should not be reprimanded.

This was not the exact stretch of beach, lufeguard or day that the Bronx man drowned at/in. This is nothing more than the Post trying to sell papers.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PieRat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh lord...

MDR-100's

sony-mdr-xd100-stereo-headphones-3226493.jpg

Yup, those are the ones. Couldn't think of the model no.

Those things are sooo comfy, but sound meh... Someday I'm going to swap the drivers with something better.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #21 of 34
What do NYC lifeguards get paid? Where I live they're lucky to make $10/hr. Paying them a bit more would, I suspect, allow us to attract more competent and diligent folks to the job - the kind of people you would want to have attending when your loved ones are in crisis.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #24 of 34
I think it would be worse to be on the phone....look at intensive care in hospitals, they watch over one person while reading books, texting or talking to each other. Are they neglecting their duty as well?

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaphod373 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it would be worse to be on the phone....look at intensive care in hospitals, they watch over one person while reading books, texting or talking to each other. Are they neglecting their duty as well?

Yes

We are becoming a society of people with continual partial attention. These gadgets are great, I use them myself, we all do, but when I have a job to do, I try to concentrate solely on that. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the norm.

Why is this newsworthy? Because people need to be aware that the lifeguard may not be your first line of protection on the beach. The ocean has awesome force and should not be taken lightly. If it gets one mother, nanny, guardian, or even individual swimmer to take more responsibility for their charges or themselves, then it was worthwhile to print the story.

I agree that this wasn't the spin of the article but it should make people think. Don't let your kids go play in the waves while you read a book and think you don't have to worry because there's a lifeguard on duty.

Is there a problem with the NY Post trying to sell newspapers? Isn't that the business they're in? It's up to the audience to decide what is important.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I highly doubt anyone was even close to the beach when this photo was taken, since it was raining and somewhat early in the morning.

I really hope that this guy wouldn't do the same on some hot sunny afternoon in August.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #29 of 34
I'm with JP Numbers. I spent my childhood on the beach, spent summers in the Junior Lifeguard program and did the Boy Scout Lifeguard program, too. If you're on shore, you are not going to hear what's happening in the ocean. There's too much ambient noise and voices don't carry well. It's different at a pool, but you don't hear much at the beach.

That being said, I can't say that headphones are a good idea because you shouldn't be distracted while keeping a lookout. I wouldn't fire the guy, though. A writeup, a lecture from the supervisor and an extra training class or two would be appropriate.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #30 of 34
Completely missed this thread, Kindly disregard the one I started. Yeah, I thought they were AT's but guess not
confused.gif
I too think the lifeguards here are great; I know many of them and they take their job seriously. As usual, one can ruin the reputation of a bunch....

The Rockaways are great. I'm near Riis Park and i will never leave !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back