Lifeguard Takes Use of Headphones Too Far
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Completely missed this thread, Kindly disregard the one I started. Yeah, I thought they were AT's but guess not
confused.gif
I too think the lifeguards here are great; I know many of them and they take their job seriously. As usual, one can ruin the reputation of a bunch....

The Rockaways are great. I'm near Riis Park and i will never leave !!

also not sure if you read the rest of the thread. The information you posted in your thread was wrong, the photo was taken of a lifeguard some time after the drowning. Also the person who died was swimming in an area where no swimming is allowed so there were no stationed lifeguards.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. In retrospect this isn't too big of a deal. I ****ed up. It has been known to happen
icon10.gif
beerchug.gif

Yeah it happens, I just wanted to make sure you knew because the media does seem to be blowing this up.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with JP Numbers. I spent my childhood on the beach, spent summers in the Junior Lifeguard program and did the Boy Scout Lifeguard program, too. If you're on shore, you are not going to hear what's happening in the ocean. There's too much ambient noise and voices don't carry well. It's different at a pool, but you don't hear much at the beach.

That being said, I can't say that headphones are a good idea because you shouldn't be distracted while keeping a lookout. I wouldn't fire the guy, though. A writeup, a lecture from the supervisor and an extra training class or two would be appropriate.

I'm not trying to over react or make too much out of this one incident. I'm sure most of the NYC lifeguards do a great job. I know it is a highly sought after position and people from all over the world apply with many guards coming back for multiple seasons.

I think the point is, as you say, that he should not be distracted.

Yes, it's not a big deal, it was raining, early morning, bad spin by The Post, etc., but what if someone actually did drown? Would you give him a write up then?

The NYC lifeguard program is great because it teaches young men and women responsibility. Wouldn't it be a great lesson, not only to this guard, but to all of them, that they need to take the job extremely seriously? It's a summer job. I don't think it would be a hardship to his family if he lost it. I bet he would learn to pay attention too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back