Life expectancy of amps, or audio equipment in general
Jul 22, 2007 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tubaman

100+ Head-Fier
Could we discuss what the life expectancy of solid state and tube amps (amps themselves, as I understand tubes do burn out) generally is? I realize it depends on who makes them, but say from a reputable maker like..Headroom, Meier, Headamp, Single power, etc. etc.

I'm asking mainly because I'm thinking about buying this used amp it's maybe 5 years old. I want to know how much time I can expect it to function without problem. I understand accidents do happen so the I'm just asking IN GENERAL, how long should a quality amp last?

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could we discuss what the life expectancy of solid state and tube amps (amps themselves, as I understand tubes do burn out) generally is? I realize it depends on who makes them, but say from a reputable maker like..Headroom, Meier, Headamp, Single power, etc. etc.

I'm asking mainly because I'm thinking about buying this used amp it's maybe 5 years old. I want to know how much time I can expect it to function without problem. I understand accidents do happen so the I'm just asking IN GENERAL, how long should a quality amp last?

Tube or SS?

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 17
I think that amps can last a very, very long time just so long as you don't push them hard everyday of their lives. For my PC set-up i am using an old Technics amp of which my dad bought when he was in his early 20's i think, which would have been sometime in the 70's i think. He may have got it later on but anyway its at least 20 years old and still sounds great to my ears. He also had a set of amazing speakers which my brother took
frown.gif
which are around the same age and sound great aswell. Then there is my step-dad who has had his amp/speakers for most of his life aswell. So my answer s that amp should still have a fair few years left in it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 17
Tough one not knowing the specific amp since some have specific issues.

That said electrolytic caps can dry out after ten years or so- NAIM recommends re-capping their power supplies every 10 years. But then again there's lots of late 50's and early '60's gear still in use with no maintenance.

5 years is nothing in the big scheme of things. I’m still using the first high-end pre-amp I bought in 1984. A Hafler DH-110. I’d have no qualms buying or using older gear.

The only thing I’m aware of is older gear like early ‘60’s and before can have a Selenium Rectifier which should be replaced due to it being a hazardous material. But that’s an easy job.

This all changes if the item in question was abused, overdriven, used in the shower, modified by some fool, driven hard in an enclosed rack (high exposure to heat), dropped or otherwise abused.

Mitch

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Semiconductors usually go through qualification tests at the manufacturer that includes life tests that simulate 20 years of continuous operation. Usually the devices pass with flying colors and can go much beyond that, usually twice that or more. Most of the failures are near the beginning of the test and are called "infant mortality" failures. For this reason I always leave new (solid state) equipment on all of the time for the length of the warranty period to screen out any potential infant mortality failures as the factory doesn't do this except for Hi Rel spec'd parts.

The main accelerating factors are heat and voltage. The qual tests are run at the maximum (or maybe slightly higher even) specified voltage and temperature for 1000 hours (6 weeks), and then derated for "normal" operation. The hotter the equipment runs, the shorter the life will be. If your equipment is also running at the maximum voltage and temperature, then 6 weeks of continuous operation is already 20 years worth of normal operation. Keep that in mind when you buy equipment that normally runs really hot; you probably want to turn it off when you aren't using it. This also applies to tube equipment...many tube designs are at far below the rated maximum voltage and these tubes can last a long time.

The semiconductors are not usually the weakest link, it probably is the capacitors. A good design will specify capacitors with voltage ratings much above the actual voltage seen, which will allow for voltage surges and extend their lifetime.

A five year old amp is a youngster unless it normally runs really hot.

Jul 22, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 17
I agree with most of the statements above. Equipment treated correctly will last a very long time. I have tube tester from 1924 with original caps that still works just fine. I even corresponded with a guy that used the model in the 20's and 30's and told me how they would make new tube sockets to test the "new" tubes that were coming out with more pins. He felt it was and is still one of the best testers as long as you know how to make up new tube sockets for the "new" tubes. A large rectifier sits on top of it that you plug in when you are going to use it.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 17
If you take care of your gear, it will last couple of decades. As pointed out above, capacitors and such might wear out and need changing after <x> years. Tubes last for conciderably less timeframes than transistors due to the fact that they work under different principles.

Other things wear out with time are potentiometers, however, they too last for quite a while. Using a late '70 amplifier for the stereo downstairs and the volume potentiometer is just fine. Sure, it lacks the "tight" feel in it's steps but it works really well when taking in mind it's over 30 years old.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 17
I agree with the above. Good equipment will last long, and even more so if it's well treated. My parents are still using the setups they bought years ago (1980 and 1993) and they're still going strong on zero maintenance. Okay, a pre-amp fried, but it was really a freak accident (and it's been repaired, anyway) .

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:02 AM Post #11 of 17
Hmm IEM's i wouldn't expect to last all that long to be honest. There are quite a few things which could go wrong accidently such as dropping them, tugging a cable too hard thus disconnecting... the internal components are quite fragile in the more expensive ones so too much of a bash and they could be gone. If you took perfect care of them though then im sure that they would last you a fair few years but being the little fragile things they are, they are quite prone to accidental damage at any time really.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 17
Also, note that although amps and transducers tend to last quite a while, it's possible that source equipment may be relatively quickly either broken or simply outdated, especially in the case of digital sources. Who still uses their audiotape walkman? Who still uses a 256kb mp3 player? That said, I think cd players from the 90s can still sound great, but that's more attributable to their analog elements than their dacs.

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 17
^^
I have wondered the same thing, about tube longevity. Specifically NOS tubes and other pricey ones. Some one here told me that they can last the life of the equipment, or your life, if its a good one. Seems like it may be wishful thinking, but then again I know Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine has used the same tubes in his Marshall guitar amp since he bought it, despite all the touring and whatnot. Thats impressive, if you ask me. Still, I for one am awfully tempted to remain in solid-state land for a while.

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 17
Most electrical parts have Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) ratings. So you would want to know get a parts list and find out what the ratings are.

In general, passive components such as capacitors dry out after a while and need to be replaced. I have seen old amps with 30 year old caps that still test well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back