Life after Yggdrasil?
Mar 21, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,126 of 1,366
A large choke is used in a purpose designed Choke Input Power Supply to more effectively filter incoming AC noise and stabilize the DC output than a more simple Capacitor Input PS.

It's a whole lot of fun to tweak and learn about changing the voicing of electronics to suit your preferences. May I suggest getting a cheap Chinese DAC to experiment and learn hands-on modifying first, before tackling something as expensive and well thought out as a Yggy?
wink.gif

Its a good idea, well I actually have a Tascam ADC Ive been experimenting with, and I built my own bridge rectifier and lm7812 regulator and 220uf cap and 0.1uf ceramic cap for the ADC.. and my measurements are damn good compared to a switch mode PSU. (I also powered the tascam adc with 1.5v batteries in series to get to 16v, and measured, and damn interesting how jitter tests goes with that) until batteries didnt provide more power to get lm7812 to regulate power.

My next project is to do lm7805 regulator, and power my chromecast to do jitter tests and see how that compares vs battery and transformer through same regulator. 

I dont have intentions to modify my yggdrasil, just wondered if changing the regulators would achieve something, but then I read about different techniques to use normal regulators to lower noise floor, and Im sure Mike designed the regulators in Yggdrasil with as low noise floor as possible :)

Sorry I made you guys discuss changing caps in Yggy.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #1,128 of 1,366
I wonder the same thing - especially since the Yggy has been designed to be easily upgradeable.

From Yggy's spec pages: "Upgradability: Fully modular architecture. Separate digital input board, USB input board, DSP engine board, and DAC/analog output boards."

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,129 of 1,366
Mar 30, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #1,131 of 1,366
  I'm not sure I entirely understand Mr. Moffat's post.  I think he's saying there won't be an entirely new Yggy.  He didn't say anything about not upgrading the current version (which is specifically designed to be upgraded).

His post is clear. There will be no Yggy 2. Yes, the Yggy was designed to be upgraded and I am sure it will be at some point. Otherwise they wasted their time making it so modular.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,133 of 1,366
  Maybe I'm dense but the distinction seems like splitting hairs to an extent?  When and if the Yggy is upgraded, it doesn't really matter if it is named Yggy 2, Yggy 1 (revised), or something else.

It kind of does matter. Replacing a board in Yggy is a lot different than going from a Mjolnir to a Mjolnir 2. Or a Lyr to a Lyr 2.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,134 of 1,366
Modularity and upgrading has been a feature of almost the entire Schiit dac line from their first. It wasn't new with Yggdrasil. The inclusion of modularity with yggdrasil may be merely a reflection of this practice. That is, it may not imply any upgrades will take place anytime soon.

As well, Jason made it clear they introduce new models or upgrades only when the change is meaningful, not because e.g. "It's been a few years, gee we better release a new model".

May 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,137 of 1,366
this thread is just a gem! if its not too late i can suggest you torq also check amr dp-777 se , i heard good things about this one.

I'm not really doing anything more on this - at least not this year and not here.

Beyond my focus for this year being on a major vinyl upgrade, the new site design here is sufficiently obnoxious, on multiple levels, that I just don't want to spent lots of time here.

May 2, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,139 of 1,366
This has been a great thread, though. Really the gold standard from a person who has taken noble quest. It must have been exhausting.

In other new, I heard that the Linn Klimax DSM/3 might be the end-game DAC for some. Pretty lofty heights! I'm sure it's a great DAC (I might have to try it). :)

May 3, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #1,140 of 1,366
Sonys signature series amp/dac (TA-ZH1ES) and also the WM1Z DAP are both incredible units for those interested. FPGA based dacs.. the zh1es actually has capability to upscale all pcm to 11.2 dsd. If you appreciate well made FPGA dacs, fan of Sony/Japanese made components or all of the above.. worth checking out. I own the dap and think it is worth every penny. I use it as my source and dac plugged in balanced to my amps. Much better than the ak380.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back