Life after Yggdrasil?
Jul 23, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #586 of 1,366

Hi Torq:

Seeing how much you enjoyed the Pavane, it sure would be nice to know how Metrum's other two new, but less expensive DACs fare in comparison.  Both the 
Menuet and Musette use Metrums Transient R2R ladder modules as used in the Pavane--just fewer of them.  At their much lower prices, those might be giant killers.

I know you are not inclined to add more DACs to your auction list, but assessing either the Menuet or Musette would be of great service to those of us for whom the Pavane is out of reach.

Thanks.

As much as I'd like the list to be as broadly useful as possible (even if that wasn't the intent I began this with), I don't see that happening I'm afraid.  Beyond the burn-out factor, just arranging the demonstrations/auditions and/or loaner units is generally quite a bit of work (and that's just when it's an enthusiastic dealer that isn't asking for a buy-on-approval approach).

So, absent someone local having access to those units and being willing to part with them for a couple of days (they'd be welcome to participate in the listening), it isn't going to happen on this go-around.  As it is, I expect at least a couple more DACs that are already on the list will get taken off before I'm done.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #589 of 1,366
Jul 24, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #591 of 1,366
Dacs are relatively hard to discern a difference and everyone's preference and hearing is different.

In some cases yes, but not all.

And in some cases the differences can be startling.

JJ

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #593 of 1,366
http://www.metrum-acoustics.com/Adagio.html

Thats metrums TOTL NOW

Since it doesn't have a built-in headphone amplifier, while it may be their top of the line, it is only going to benefit anyone using a power-amplifier that wants to ditch their pre-amp - which typically means speakers and only digital sources.  Still, it's core (the Pavane) sounded bloody good.

Jul 24, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #597 of 1,366
  Dangerous Music Convert-2.

It gets compared to the Yggy a lot, is at the same price point but with more features, and a lot of people seem to prefer it.

Already considered and rejected due to space and aesthetics.  The search function is your friend!

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #598 of 1,366

Users who are viewing this thread

Back