Lifatec Silflex Glass Toslink cables
Apr 10, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 17
many ppl tend to believe that the lower the strands number the better, both in the digital and in the analog domains...more strands = more distortion, basically.

what about that Dayton GOC-3 cable then? it's supposed to be as good as it gets for bang/bucks glass: Parts-Express.com:*Dayton GOC-3 Glass Optical Digital Cable 3 ft

it's said to be 65 strands, but I think it's bs...it's prolly 280 because it REALLY looks like an OEM from this manfacturer: SHIN KIN - GLASS TOSLINK CABLES

they told me that they don't do 65 strands....and when I asked Dayton, they never answered me
wink.gif

this one has the same logo on the plugs, and the same number of strands: Amazon.com: Amphenol Ultra Series - Premium Optical Glass TOSLINK Cable - 6'

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 17
I actually own a 20" Lifatec Silflex Armored Glass Toslink to Mini Cable. I use it for my MAC->Audio-GD DAC-19DF. It sounds really good with my Cary Audio SLI-80 & Sennheiser HD650's.

While it's definitely a well built optical cable at a decent price, I'm also not sure that I would be able to hear a difference between that and some of the other plastic cables on the market. Either way, I'm happy with it and would buy from them again (also they provide super fast shipping using USPS Priority Mail - I had mine in like two days of placing the order.)

Anyhow, if there's anything else you'd like know about the cable to know let me know.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 17
I agree with the other reviewer. It does sound great (although I haven't compared it to other cables to add a lot of credibility to that statement), but the aesthetics department is a bit lacking for the Silflex. The armor, while very functional, makes it look a somewhat cheap (although the build quality IMHO is actually pretty good.)

Since I have such a short cable anyway, I hardly notice it. Maybe one of these days I'll dress it up with some Techflex and heatshrink, but that's purely a cosmetic improvement (nothing to do with sound quality.)

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 17
i've both wireworld supernova 5+ cable and the lifatec Glass toslink cable.
Lifatec is superior.Especially on high frequencies where their reproduction is more clear and natural.
The cymbals or the hi-hat of the drums on well recorded songs sound real.

So if you want to get the best optical glass toslink cable get the Lifatec! 

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 17
I finally ordered one of these, it will be interesting to note the improvement over a standard polymer cable (again).

Pros:
  1. Glass fiber
  2. Available with mini-toslink termination
  3. Not much extra $ for additional lengths.

I noticed that they added armor sheathing to their line-up, looks like the tradeoff is toughness vs. flexibility.

Cons:
  1. Base $ is expensive
  2. Only in white unless you get the armored sheathing

Bumpity bump
L3000.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 17
Ah screw it, I cancelled and got another one of these instead:

The SonicWave Glass Toslink cable is a known quantity to me, it's quite flexible, the connectors are very good, it comes in a cool box, it's black, and it's half the price of the Lifatec. And importantly, I decided that I would rather use a right angle mini adapter than have the cable come straight out toward my [belly button] from my laptop.

It sounds great!

But for anybody that wants to try a short standard Silflex, this one could be a good deal if you act quickly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silfex-Toslink-Glass-Fiber-Digital-Audio-Cable-/360622397519?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53f6c5184f

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 17
Lol havnt been to head-fi some time and came to see whats up and this thread is resuerected. It reminds of how much I obsessed about toslink cables, In the end and after MUCH research and trial and error concluded that a toslink output and cable quality of sound is much more realted to the surface area of the tip and how close they are to the output and input.  I modified a few toslink output and inputs to get the tips of the cables as close to the output and inputs as possible. I belive I modded a few cables too to increase the surface area.  The result was a big improvement in sound. In the end though I abandoned DACs becasue I was never happy enough because the digital ouput desing coax and optical is not designed well from the get go, and even some expensive dacs didnt compensate enough for me.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 17
I purchased a 2m toslink to toslink cable direct from Lifatec.  This is a very revealing, fast, and detailed cable.  It is very much like a high quality lens and will show you everything, be it a good recording or bad recording.  It is very important to clean the metal ends with a good contact cleaner like Caig Pro Gold.  If you don't, this cable could sound bright and harsh.  I'm enjoying and keeping my Lifatec Silflex.  They shipped my cable on USPS 2-Day.  Great service!  My system consists of a Gateway SX2800 Computer running JRiver Version 20 hooked up to a Monarchy Audio DIP Super to a Theta Pro Basic III DAC to a Conrad Johnson PV-10 Preamp to a VAC Auricle Amp to Joseph Audio RM22si speakers.

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 17
  I purchased a 2m toslink to toslink cable direct from Lifatec.  This is a very revealing, fast, and detailed cable.  It is very much like a high quality lens and will show you everything, be it a good recording or bad recording.  It is very important to clean the metal ends with a good contact cleaner like Caig Pro Gold.  If you don't, this cable could sound bright and harsh.  I'm enjoying and keeping my Lifatec Silflex.  They shipped my cable on USPS 2-Day.  Great service!  My system consists of a Gateway SX2800 Computer running JRiver Version 20 hooked up to a Monarchy Audio DIP Super to a Theta Pro Basic III DAC to a Conrad Johnson PV-10 Preamp to a VAC Auricle Amp to Joseph Audio RM22si speakers.

You are applying contact cleaner to the polished, optical ends of your TOSLINK cable? Really?

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 17
  Please read what I wrote carefully.  I stated that I applied contact cleaner to the "metal" ends, not the optical ends.  

...which would do what, again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back