License test on wednesday
Sep 26, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #16 of 34
A couple days before the test go for a drive in the area around the DMV and just get used to the area since that's where your test will take place. Try and do it at the same time of day as your test so you can get an idea of the traffic.

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #18 of 34
Remember to buckle your seat belt. Thats a quick way to fail.

Remember to demonstrate your audio skills by playing with the radio while the the lights are red.
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 34
Do a few donuts to get warmed up, then peel out. As soon as you get going, fishtail, then once you're back in control make a very sharp turn while pulling the hand brake up and down quickly.
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #22 of 34
Make very obvious head turns when approaching intersections, even if your light is green. I had gotten into the habit of just glancing left and right before going through intersections where my light was green, and I got marked off a bunch of points since I did it about 6 times and the instructor claimed I didn't look both ways before crossing...

Sep 27, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Potatoe1313
Make very obvious head turns when approaching .

Hey!
I was gonna say that.

Seriously, this may be the best piece of advice you receive.
Look, and stay looking till the instructor sees you looking.

Sep 27, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #24 of 34
Do it the chicago method.

fold up a $50 bill into a tight 1 inch square. attach somewhere obvious
with a little piece of double sided stickem.

Worked great for all those truck drivers in the licences for cash scandal
that got the previous governor ryan in all sorts of trouble
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #26 of 34
Don't redline the engine. Blowing a rod is the last thing one wants when you're trying to parallel park! j/k
wink.gif

In NJ, the test was pathetic. Drive into a small parking lot/course, which involves going left than right (gasp), then pull into a little area, parallel park, K-turn out, then go to the end of the course, exit, and you're done! It was insanely easy. I REALLY wouldn't be nervous at all. I mean, that's tough to say to you, of course, but trust me, whatever you think, even if it's easy, it'll be 10 times easier.

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Don't redline the engine. Blowing a rod is the last thing one wants when you're trying to parallel park! j/k
wink.gif

In NJ, the test was pathetic. Drive into a small parking lot/course, which involves going left than right (gasp), then pull into a little area, parallel park, K-turn out, then go to the end of the course, exit, and you're done! It was insanely easy. I REALLY wouldn't be nervous at all. I mean, that's tough to say to you, of course, but trust me, whatever you think, even if it's easy, it'll be 10 times easier.

In Idaho I had to drive into town! You took the test in a parking lot?

Sep 27, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #28 of 34
It really depends on the state/DMV office. Some areas use a closed course, others use public roads or whatenot. While I was not on a closed course the DMV location where I took my test was fairly suburban (Los Gatos, California) and it was early so I was lucky. I also did not have to parrallel park during the test although I know how to do so.

Sep 27, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I can't believe parallel parking is not mandatory in all states
confused.gif

Not all states have overpopulated megaopolis like NYC.

I got my license from Ohio originally, which didn't require it. I didn't really properly learn to parallel park until I was in college. Of course, I didn't really need to parallel park until I was in college.

-Ed

Sep 27, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #30 of 34
I know not everyone will use it all the time, but virtually every state has a town of a size where parallel parking is a useful/necessary skill.

I mean, not everyone is going to drive on highways, but you still have to learn how to merge and all that good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back