LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #181 of 308
  Oh no, The Sound Guys and The Solilama's reviews are exuberant. There are not enough of us and too many of these ******* out there. 

Here's Solilama's ridiculous written review. (Feel free to leave a comment.)

Here's The Sound Guys's ridiculous video review. (Feel free to leave a comment.)

No, these are just bad reviewers.

Or perhaps paid reviewers
biggrin.gif

If you check Soli Lama's google+ page, 5/24 of his contacts are LH Labs executives. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #183 of 308
It's honestly a shame cause, having the Geek Out, and having heard the Geek Pulse, where both are great, it's disappointing the verbs are not up to par. If it's that bad they should really consider refunding, though not entirely possible I would think. Maybe credit for future other products?

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #184 of 308
I'm still awaiting my verb. Once I receive them, I intend to burn them in for about 50 - 100hrs before reviewing them, and comparing them to similarly priced IEMS, namely FAD Heaven 2 (BA Drivers), Sennheiser Momentum IN-EARS (Dynamic), Yamaha EPH-100, and the cheapest of the bunch, a xiaomi piston 2.

Almost all My above mentioned IEMs, except the FAD heaven 2 are dynamics with V/U shaped signatures. I will be fair to LH labs and restrict comparisons to IEMs below $200 only.

If there's anyone living in Singapore or dropping by, I'll be open to meet just to share and compare the verbs (either yours or mine) against other IEMs (yours or mine too). You can post your own comparisons, since I'll be honest and say I'm no professional or expert reviewer.

I suggest that you should save your time, and try to apply for a refund immediately. LH Lab's webpage claimed that unopened products can be returned for a refund within 7 days. Maybe you could be the first person to claim a refund from LH Labs for the Geek Verb.

Believe me - I have tried burning it in using Geek Out IEM for 100 - 200 hours. No improvements. Don't waste your time.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #185 of 308
No amount of burn in could fix the incredibly WRONG frequency response curve of this mistake. My question is how could something THIS BAD have been approved by anyone at the level necessary to do so there at LH Labs.

J.P.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #186 of 308
No amount of burn in could fix the incredibly WRONG frequency response curve of this mistake. My question is how could something THIS BAD have been approved by anyone at the level necessary to do so there at LH Labs.

J.P.

Gotten my verbs. First impression was bad. Real bad. My piston 2 first out of the box was way better than this. Will post my review and impressions this weekend or next with comparisions.

To say i'm disappointed is an understatement, despite all the poor early reviews.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #187 of 308

BIG caveat: A few of the guys at LH are my friends. 

That being said, I am probably the most vocal to them about what they do correct and what they do poorly. They get a LOT of feedback from me and I don't hesitate to tell them what I think about their business, operations, and products.

I've had the Verb for a while and they're not for me. I'm giving my pair away as the FR makes these sound wonky in my book and my two pairs of UERM get most of my IEM headtime with an occasional guest appearance by the Rockets. The distortion is actually pretty good and the IEMs respond to EQing, but I am NOT a fan of the tuning. 

That being said, I do think a few things should be called out in the review that sparked the shenanigans:
  1. The CSD is sketch to provide (and if it was accurate, would actually indicate a pretty good CSD for a $40 headphone or whatever many of us paid). Couplers introduce resonances and the data is garbage past about 8kHz for FR as well when measuring IEMs. I didn't find ringing to be significant when stacked against many other IEMs in my collection. Saying that the CSDs tell us anything meaningful is misleading.
  2. The Sound Guys have done a bunch of audio reviews. I personally don't know if they're good or not, but it's not like they've never reviewed anything. They seem to skew high in scoring so an 8.6 should be adjusted to scale.
  3. I really love shotgunshane and others, but I know Lachlan has a past with LH which should probably be called out since he's heavily invested in that site. I'm also wondering who wrote the review since the author is unlisted (not really a big deal, just curious).

The (definitely non-trivial) problem with the IEMs are the FR: mainly the low end boost, the midrange dip, and the peak. That should be the focus of the article. 

Anyhoos, I think there are some super valid concerns in this thread, but to suggest that LH is a fraud in that article is pretty sensational.

Because it seems to be a hot topic as well, I've ordered a pair of the Xumas to see if they are actually the same, or just the same housing and if they sound any different which I'll test before giving the verbs away.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #188 of 308
I know molds are pricey, but to use the same molds as another brand is just ...

BTW it's the Xuma PM73 that looks exactly the same.  Is there a remote control for the Geek Verb too?  Does that look the same too?  <- Can't get rid of the bold for some reason.  

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #189 of 308
No offense Zerodefex, but you and Lachlan are just two sides of a coin. Should we call him out on having a bad experience and being honest about it because he has no relations with any of the LHL guys? Because by that same logic we should also call you out for having a good experience with LHL and a potential inclination to be disproportionately positive about it because of your relations with the LHL guys.

I think I'll choose not to call you out because you're one of the few knowledgable people whose posts I truly sit up, take notice of and respect. Just in the same way, I don't see fit to call Lachlan out on anything.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #190 of 308
No offense Zerodefex, but you and Lachlan are just two sides of a coin. Should we call him out on having a bad experience and being honest about it because he has no relations with any of the LHL guys? Because by that same logic we should also call you out for having a good experience with LHL and a potential inclination to be disproportionately positive about it because of your relations with the LHL guys.

I think I'll choose not to call you out because you're one of the few knowledgable people whose posts I truly sit up, take notice of and respect. Just in the same way, I don't see fit to call Lachlan out on anything.

Thank you for the kind words :). I definitely want people to weigh what I say with the knowledge that I am friends with some of these guys. 

To clarify (re-reading my post, I get that it was confusing) I didn't meant "called out" in the "oh no you din't" sense, I just meant it should be mentioned in the review (if he was part author) that he's had negative dealings with LH in the past.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #191 of 308

BIG caveat: A few of the guys at LH are my friends. 

That being said, I am probably the most vocal to them about what they do correct and what they do poorly. They get a LOT of feedback from me and I don't hesitate to tell them what I think about their business, operations, and products.

I've had the Verb for a while and they're not for me. I'm giving my pair away as the FR makes these sound wonky in my book and my two pairs of UERM get most of my IEM headtime with an occasional guest appearance by the Rockets. The distortion is actually pretty good and the IEMs respond to EQing, but I am NOT a fan of the tuning. 

That being said, I do think a few things should be called out in the review that sparked the shenanigans:
  1. The CSD is sketch to provide (and if it was accurate, would actually indicate a pretty good CSD for a $40 headphone or whatever many of us paid). Couplers introduce resonances and the data is garbage past about 8kHz for FR as well when measuring IEMs. I didn't find ringing to be significant when stacked against many other IEMs in my collection. Saying that the CSDs tell us anything meaningful is misleading.
  2. The Sound Guys have done a bunch of audio reviews. I personally don't know if they're good or not, but it's not like they've never reviewed anything. They seem to skew high in scoring so an 8.6 should be adjusted to scale.
  3. I really love shotgunshane and others, but I know Lachlan has a past with LH which should probably be called out since he's heavily invested in that site. I'm also wondering who wrote the review since the author is unlisted (not really a big deal, just curious).

The (definitely non-trivial) problem with the IEMs are the FR: mainly the low end boost, the midrange dip, and the peak. That should be the focus of the article. 

Anyhoos, I think there are some super valid concerns in this thread, but to suggest that LH is a fraud in that article is pretty sensational.

Because it seems to be a hot topic as well, I've ordered a pair of the Xumas to see if they are actually the same, or just the same housing and if they sound any different which I'll test before giving the verbs away.

I would like to echo zero's post and point out a few things:

First, the CSD graph's scale is really messed up. Look at the time scale, guys:

The peak ends at 1.07ms.

Okay, ya got that, right?

Next, let's try... looking at the CSD of... the SR-009:

Look, ma! There are ridges at 4KHz, 6KHz, 8KHz, and 9.5KHz that all got further than 1ms!!!

And guess what? The Verb decay ends at 2.6ms at 200Hz. The SR-009 keeps decaying at 1KHz past 4ms!!!

If I didn't know better, I'd say the CSD of the Verb makes it look... unrealistically clean! Even compared to the most transparent headphone in existence: the Stax SR-009!

Or okay, let's forget about CSD. Maybe something went wrong? How about distortions?

My God! It reaches dangerously close to 0.01% distortion!! In fact, it DOES reach 0.01% distortion!

Just so you'd know how crazy that is, here's Tyll's distortion measurement of the SR-009, again.

Look at that! It stays at 0.1% distortion.

That's right. Cymbacavum's distortion measurements of the Verb at 500Hz is 10 times better than the distortion of the SR-009... at any frequency!

My God, if I didn't know better, I'd say the Verb looks from the graphs like it's the best transducer on the planet... surpassing the SR-009 by a significant margin at every metric that counts. This thing would probably sound ridiculously transparent if those measurements are right!

Okay, honestly, though, I'm an outsider, just staring at those graphs and dropping my jaw in awe. Disregarding the frequency response measurements, the rest look fantastic!! 
blink.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #192 of 308
Even with me not understanding these charts really, it looks weird when it drops below 0.1% (literally below the bottom of the chart).  It's either lazy chart making or something was not measured correctly.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back