LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #76 of 308
Reviews of the verb has been getting really worrisome to me. Especially when mine isn't here yet! :frowning2:

Has there been any comments regarding this from LH labs thus far? If there isn't, would it be possible for @chartwell85
 to provide us some comments? Not to pin-point him but he's the only person from LH labs who seems to be active on head-fi.

To casey, thanks in advance if you are able to provide some insight from lh labs!

See post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/759031/lh-labs-verb-iem-impressions-thread/45#post_11423102

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #77 of 308
Agree 100%.

And if the Xuma and Verb end up to be the same, because of the extreme differences in advertised specs, one of them could be guilty of fraud.

The Chinese thread here does a very good job of finding OEM suppliers for rebranded items. The Xuma and Verb seem to be sourced from a Korean manufacturer and rebranded. There is very little chance that the Verb is LH Labs' creation. There may be tweaks at best, but doubtful.

See if you see the manufacturer name in the small print on the back of the box, or instructions manual.

Releasing the Verb was a poor decision IMO. LH sells audiophile quality equipment of their own creation, yet they introduce a poor quality, outsourced, barely consumer level product that doesn't differentiate itself from other thousands of IEMS in any way, then they charge almost double the price over a similar rebrand? Kill it now before it brings impressions of the company down any further.

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #79 of 308
If and when my Verbs arrive - if the are all they are "not" cracked up to be - I may have to use my tools as a consumer (CC payment or Paypal payment - can't remember which) to get my refund if LH digs their heels in the ground.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #80 of 308
  This is the worst IEM I have ever experienced. That tells me something about LH company. This is the first and will be the last item I'll ever purchase from this company.

It is possible that the OEM did something dirty here, but I have to admit, this doesn't look good. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are in as to why the design is clearly not new. As far as it sounding bad, I have nothing to say about that - most agree with you. It never made sense to me for them to jump into iems...were they looking to make a quick buck or what?

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #81 of 308
  The Chinese thread here does a very good job of finding OEM suppliers for rebranded items. The Xuma and Verb seem to be sourced from a Korean manufacturer and rebranded. There is very little chance that the Verb is LH Labs' creation. There may be tweaks at best, but doubtful.

See if you see the manufacturer name in the small print on the back of the box, or instructions manual.

Releasing the Verb was a poor decision IMO. LH sells audiophile quality equipment of their own creation, yet they introduce a poor quality, outsourced, barely consumer level product that doesn't differentiate itself from other thousands of IEMS in any way, then they charge almost double the price over a similar rebrand? Kill it now before it brings impressions of the company down any further.

What is really worrying is the suggested retail price for these. If they do it on the EMs... what about other "list" prices?

Mar 21, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #82 of 308
Going to be hard to sell these at list with the impressions here so far.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #84 of 308
Especially when they are likely selling the exact same things at B&H for $25.

Of course.. most people that could be hooked into buying these by hype.. don't read these threads.... too bad!

I listened some more last night. Not critically, but plugged them into  my X5 and listened for a while, then swapped to the Xuma. Still not hearing a "audiophile" difference, but there are differences.
It could be merely production tolerances at this level of IEM. I will try to sit and really listen at some point. Maybe I can write something that makes sense.

I do think that the sound is something that some non addicted non obsessive folks would like. Sort of like the Beats sound. But they will not come in droves if  they really want to sell them at the stated list price. At that level, hopefully, people will be doing their homework before buying.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #85 of 308
I got them in last week and took them with me on my week-long trip to Chicago. I did some listening during my plane ride and in my hotel room, and I can't say I'm pleased. The bass is so loose and hollow that I can't imagine anyone in this community actually liking them. Frankly, I think $40 is too much for these pieces of crap. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #86 of 308
Repost from comments on the LH forum:

Alright, so I've spent some hours with these trying to figure out exactly what the problem is with the unpleasant, overpowering bass. Here's what I've tried:

* button trick = no change

* re-seating the connector = no change

* multiple devices = no change

* different ear tips = no change (only one will stay in my ears at all)

* positioning = bass is more pleasant when IEMs are half removed from my ears, but other frequencies suffer

* volume = volume at just above an audible level sounds alright, bass is overstated but not to the point of distortion (at regular listening levels - appropriate, not blaring - overbearing bass destroys any musicality)

* music = the less bass in a song, the better they sound (violin trio - sounds great, rock w/ bass guitar/female vocals - sub-par (Mariah Carey vocals sounded like she had throat cancer), metal w/ double bass drum - un-listenable)

* EQ = I was able to get a reasonably clean sound by severely cutting most of the lower frequencies (at the expense of...not having any low frequencies)

Conclusion: It seems to me that one issue may be related to the tuning. i didn't have time to narrow it down, but the overpowering bass seemed to come from a specific frequency (resonance), drowning out and distorting the rest of what would otherwise be an acceptable offering. Not sure that this helps anyone, but it's the best I'm able to objectively describe what I'm experiencing without just saying that they aren't good IEMs or that the sound signature isn't for me. Without this very specific and unfortunate bass issue, they would probably be worth the MSRP. With it, they don't sound like they are functioning as intended (resonance/borderline distortion), therefore preference for a specific sound signature is irrelevant and I wouldn't recommend them even at the initial price.

I sent my pair back to LH for review after posting my impressions here previously. Here's the response for those that are interested:

"I just received the Verb earbuds you sent back.  I've tested them with a variety of my personal favorite tracks as well as compared them to my Verb earbuds.  They're up to par for my taste and sound the exact same as my pair."

WHAT?
Is LH labs even listening to the feedback?

When one member of this community dismiss a product, it may be due to personal preferences or perhaps other reasons.
But when more members, including those whose reviews/impressions are widely accepted and respected, dismisses the said product, without a single positive comment, its highly likely the product is really.....

Just hoping mine will be the good ones. but i have no idea if they are on the way to me yet.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #87 of 308
When you put pencil and paper to it, it gets more interesting. Back in February when Gavin announced that the verbs were shipping he mentioned they received 4,061 units. Take the $39 perk price subtracted by the $25 selling price the Xumas at B&H (assuming they are the same) multiplied be number of units, you get $56,224. Assuming B&H is making some money on them that's a pretty good chunk of change for a side project with low overhead (oem). . Of course use the SRP of $159 and your looking at $544,174. Now we are not against someone making money and most of this would be mute if they sounded halve way decent, but they don't, even taking into account the subjective nature of this hobby. LH labs silence on the subject is deafening.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #88 of 308
I wish people stopped through money at LH Labs crowd funding projects that are clearly designed to make a LOT of money from marginal and sometimes huge profit margins. Just because they designed one super expensive DAC, and one good portable DAC (after some FW updates that is), doesn't mean they are very good at their job lol

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #90 of 308
When you put pencil and paper to it, it gets more interesting. Back in February when Gavin announced that the verbs were shipping he mentioned they received 4,061 units. Take the $39 perk price subtracted by the $25 selling price the Xumas at B&H (assuming they are the same) multiplied be number of units, you get $56,224. Assuming B&H is making some money on them that's a pretty good chunk of change for a side project with low overhead (oem). . Of course use the SRP of $159 and your looking at $544,174. Now we are not against someone making money and most of this would be mute if they sounded halve way decent, but they don't, even taking into account the subjective nature of this hobby. LH labs silence on the subject is deafening.

Haven't heard a peep from them about the Xumas since this was brought to their attention...and they are no longer available for sale. Curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back