LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #106 of 308
Yes, thank you. This is all very nice to know. I agree that the mids and highs of the Verb are reasonable... Not great, but reasonable. If it were not for the overpowering _BASS_ I would find the acceptable for the $39 perk price. Even the bass would not be so horrible if the boost did not start in the lower midrange, making all vocals sound so congested.

J.P.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #107 of 308
plus there is this weird reverby type thing going on with mine in the bass and mids (maybe just waaay too much bass?) that makes it sound weird. It is a very coloured unnatural sound and not something you would have expected from a company trying to bring high fidelity to the masses.

Sony did something similar with the XBA series iem l with boosted bass and V shaped sound sig but they sound nowhere near as coloured than the Verb.

Mar 27, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #108 of 308
Yeah, I got that "I'm hearing things I never heard before" feeling at first then I realized that I was hearing things that should never be there in the first place.
Not good. Looking for a silver lining the largest tips are too small for me to use with other phones. The only good thing out of the deal is the box they came in is carrying my most used tips. The verbs are simply unlistenable. Can't believe lh labs folks are still sticking to their guns that these are good.

plus there is this weird reverby type thing going on with mine in the bass and mids (maybe just waaay too much bass?) that makes it sound weird. It is a very coloured unnatural sound and not something you would have expected from a company trying to bring high fidelity to the masses.

Sony did something similar with the XBA series iem l with boosted bass and V shaped sound sig but they sound nowhere near as coloured than the Verb.

Mar 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #109 of 308
Yeah, I got that "I'm hearing things I never heard before" feeling at first then I realized that I was hearing things that should never be there in the first place.
Not good. Looking for a silver lining the largest tips are too small for me to use with other phones. The only good thing out of the deal is the box they came in is carrying my most used tips. The verbs are simply unlistenable. Can't believe lh labs folks are still sticking to their guns that these are good.

They don't want to lose face imo.

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #110 of 308
Seriously, if you still haven't realized how easily and blatantly LH Labs lies and how big of a marketing budget they have, then you need install a new weasel detector in your cognitive centres.

This is a generic IEM from China, redressed for LH Labs, and possibly with an off the shelf driver different from the Xumi.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #111 of 308
Hi all,

I just came across this thread today and read through it all.

As we all know, everyone's ears and listening tastes are different. Given that, some people find the Verbs to sound good/really good, while others find them to sound bad/really bad.

For my listening tastes, I do find them to be on the "bassy" side.

I have spent the evening testing various ear tips, ear tip positions, and tuning to come up with a 2 step process that involves no physical alteration to the housings.

Step 1:

- Cut small squares of tape (around 1/4", or smaller if possible) and cover the small holes on the bottom of the housings (the bass ports).

Step 2:

- Using whichever ear tips give you a good seal, put them on the nozzle. As you know, due to the inner diameter, they will hit a stopper half way down the nozzle.

- With some moderate pressure, and a slight twisting movement, the ear tip will move over top of the stopper and slide down flush with the housing.

By significantly shortening the distance from the nozzle to the exit of the ear tip, a great deal of bass resonance appears to be negated as the chamber volume is greatly decreased.

(I did not realize until after I did all of this that a GF member had previously suggested the tape/bass port idea, so I won't claim it completely as my own).

I am still using the large ear tips to get a full seal, then adjusting them in my ears afterwards to further help with the tuning.

For my listening tastes it has greatly improved the sound, getting it much closer to ideal. Give it a try, hopefully these steps (or a variation of) will tune the Verbs more to your liking.

Jody

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #112 of 308
I tried the tape over the port and that helped a little. I also tried using the small tips which also reduced the bass a tiny bit but those don't fit my ears and make the IEMs fit feel insecure. This also does far too little for the fact that the boost extends up into the lower mids. This leaves vocals still sounding thick and congested. I'll keep fiddling to see if there is anything else that can be done for these issues.

J.P.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #114 of 308
Got my replacement Verbs today. The first pair was defective. The second pair sounds much better.

With that said, they need some burn in and new tips. The sound now is still a bit "distorted" and slightly muddy compared to my more expensive IEMs. 

So, I ordered 2 pairs, don't love the 1st (not the worst, but have no desire to listen to them more, too many headphones, too little time...), haven't even opened the 2nd box, think it is worth checking? Is it really a manufacturing issue?
Thanks

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #115 of 308
Not a manufacturing issue but a design choice. LH Labs chose a commercial tuning for the Verb, then did it badly. The low end boost goes well up into the lower midrange and makes vocals sound tubby and congested. In my playing around, my set seems to have a slight dip around 500Hz then increases to a peak of about 10dB at 200Hz with a very slight roll off below that. There is also a narrow peak of about 5dB at around 5500Hz. The frequency response of these things is all over the chart!

We have heard rumors that the balanced Verb-X will have a more neutral tuning - I certainly hope that this is true!

J.P.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #116 of 308
I've read from one person that the small tips make them sound much better. Any truth to this? I suppose you're out of luck if small isn't your size...

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #118 of 308
That's all about obtaining a loose seal. They will sound better with a loose seal for sure but, for me, not worth borthering with.

They would essentially be semi-open iems, for lack of a better term. Probably not the intention in their design. This post from the lhlabs forums made me guffaw quite a bit:

"It's all about the tips bout the tips bout the tips yea..........
Once you find the right tips they are very very nice. I was unhappy at first with the loss of the bass using the small tips and the harsh high end until I noticed I was using the direct output of the laptop. Switched to the geek and viola beauty abounds. In this case it is the poor uneducated consumer that is at fault not the instrument. LHLABS delivered WE failed to understand how to best use the product. Now that said, a simple errata sheet in the box warning the user will save a lot of frustration. Instruct the user how to use an IEM. This however is why they crowd fund. We find these issues so they can address them in a beta market before the rest of the world has the issues. We get deals and they get to learn issues on a smaller market that doesn't effect their final market image."

It sounds like he has Stockholm Syndrome if you ask me.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #119 of 308

They would essentially be semi-open iems, for lack of a better term. Probably not the intention in their design. This post from the lhlabs forums made me guffaw quite a bit:

Once you find the right tips they are very very nice. I was unhappy at first with the loss of the bass using the small tips and the harsh high end until I noticed I was using the direct output of the laptop. Switched to the geek and viola beauty abounds. In this case it is the poor uneducated consumer that is at fault not the instrument. LHLABS delivered WE failed to understand how to best use the product. Now that said, a simple errata sheet in the box warning the user will save a lot of frustration. Instruct the user how to use an IEM. This however is why they crowd fund. We find these issues so they can address them in a beta market before the rest of the world has the issues. We get deals and they get to learn issues on a smaller market that doesn't effect their final market image."

Sounds like BS to me. I have played with the things quite a bit in an effort to make them sound somewhat better. Tips and seal is always important when using IEMs. Of course there are many that really don't get this. But them bottom line for me is that, no matter what tips  used, no matter whether I taped ports on not, no matter what EQ curve that I used, they never  got to a point that I thought that they produce sound that is any more than marginal. The Xuma IEMS though a bit different sound just as "good", though I don't know if good is a relevant term in this context. The $5 woodies that I bought a dozen of to give away, sound more balanced and less congested. (though NOT "good") . If we start talking about something that sells for close to their listed full selling price  (RE-400/600 for example), they are basically unlistenable.

So whoever wrote the above seems to be either a blatant apologist for LHL, or have extremely uneducated auditory perception. That is fine, this hobby is very personal, but my concern is that someone will read that and buy these things expecting to get a quality IEM.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #120 of 308

I have not (and will never) backed any LH Labs' product aside from the Geek Out (which I sold even before it arrived), but I just enjoy reading things like this for fun hehe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back