LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread
May 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #241 of 308
The Verbs are good for EDM, Techno, Trance and other bass heavy genres. I equalize them with my phones music player and bass heavy music sounds good. Not the best in other types though.

Most hardcore trance heads I meet (me included) prefer precise, fast bass, to bass bigness. Space and speed across the entire audible spectrum is more important. If you don't have that, you have just bassy electronic music, not trance.

May 5, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #243 of 308
Progressive trance doesn't require speed. A low pass filter is what keeps the bass warm and deep along with some white noise.

Progressive trance is not the only kind of trance though.

And I am not sure I agree with you even for progressive. IMHO progressive relies on subtle changes in ambience, melody, spacing and all that sort of stuff which happens not just with the bass but across the whole spectrum of music.

May 5, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #244 of 308
Exactly, as shigzeo was claiming trance only has fast bass, it doesn't.

Progressive trance uses two basic square wavetables blended with a saw wave and rounded by a wave table. The sound is controlled by modulation of the envelope. Bass is usually controlled in progressive trance by switching to monophone.

Lookup DJ Schiller's stuff from the 90s. Very slow and top notch, even Jam and Spoon had some slow mixes. Not everything in trance has to be frantic and running at 200bpm.

May 5, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #245 of 308
Mind sharing your EQ settings?

I will try to replicate on my rockboxed DX50 (which has a full parametric EQ) and give it another go ...

Not a fan of where modern EDM has gone to, I will use a variety of genres from a few years back including:

- Gabriel & Dresden

- Above & Beyond

- j00F

Also some older stuff like Northern Exposure and earlier Global Underground collections.

Right now, listening to Solarstone Destinations Vol 1 (without EQ) and can't say I like the presentation of the Verb that much.

May 5, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #246 of 308
To give a rough idea, I dial down the 80-400 a few notches and dial up the 10k-18k a bit. Poweramp audio player in Android.

Also use Neutron to vary the Q, bass cutoff and other EQ options.

May 5, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #248 of 308
hmm to me even after eq the mids sound a bit distant and i have to do quite extreme eq in the 9 - 12 dB range to turn the bass down and even then it is still really really prominent, just not ridiculously overpowering. 

They do seem to be able to tolerate a reasonable amount of EQ though. i would rather have a pair of iems that are tuned more coventionally and not to have to drastically eq just to get to what I would still consider very bass heavy levels. I guess i am not a basshead. I thought my XBA-H3s which I love by the way were already super bassy ...

May 17, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #252 of 308
Has anyone been able to return their crappy verbs? Has lhlabs provided and feedback about what went wrong and how they are sorting it out? Or just silence?

Fairly certain that they will not accept returns. ..
Yes more silence from LHL

May 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #253 of 308
Got 2 pairs, just prepared to eat them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back