LH Labs' gorgeous Vi Dac ( Tube + SS outputs )
Jan 28, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #316 of 1,178
  germay that setting would be to output my pcm files as dsd..  I just tried it for kicks and it also emits static and locks up the vi dac

Also, the DSD bitstream in DoP format should not be checked in the device setting for the chosen ASIO driver!  If it's checked, uncheck it and leave Output Encoding to None.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #317 of 1,178

If none of that works I'd put in a ticket.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #318 of 1,178
Germay I have that unchecked. Still doesn't work :frowning2:. No one has ever gotten native streaming to work with any lh labs product that I know of.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #319 of 1,178
So far only dsd over pcm has worked for me.. no native dsd streaming has worked.. in windows.  Maybe it works in os x?  no one has said.  I think dsd direct may be a thing where the dsd is less processed internally by the sabre dac, it may not be related to DoP or native dsd streaming.  

I've been able to run DSD direct on my Pulse X Infinity via a PC but only due to the beta driver I've been helping test for LHL. Hopefully should come to everyone soon. Cheers

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #320 of 1,178
I've been able to run DSD direct on my Pulse X Infinity via a PC but only due to the beta driver I've been helping test for LHL. Hopefully should come to everyone soon. Cheers

Thanks Michael!!

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #321 of 1,178

From the Indiegogo Vi DAC page:

Technologically, Vi DAC is superior to Geek Pulse in the following ways, including others:
  1. Vi DAC uses a 15V bi-polar power supply in its DAC module, compared to Geek Pulse' 12V power. The benefit is more headroom and 10% to 15% more power on the balanced headphone output. Additionally, Vi DAC has a slightly better power supply rejection ratio in the negative leg of the power supply.
  2. Vi DAC features an optional tube buffer stage, making it the most versatile DAC on the market.
  3. Vi DAC features DSD Direct!
  4. Vi DAC Tube features TWO pairs of single-ended and balanced output from solid state and also another TWO pairs of single-ended and balanced output from 6922/6DJ8 tubes (with optional balanced out from tube circuit).

About three weeks ago, in our CES 2016 show room.  They compared Vi DAC headphone output vs Pulse Infinity output on HE1000, HD800, Dhama, and many other headphones they brought in. Many interesting feedbacks we got.

And Michael, Robert all tested difference between Tube and solid state output of Vi Tube DAC too since we could output both at the same time. Switching input 1 (SS) 2 (Tube) on Pass XP300 gives you the instant A/B test. Again, we got Solid state lovers and we got tube lovers.  :wink:

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #322 of 1,178

About three weeks ago, in our CES 2016 show room.  They compared Vi DAC headphone output vs Pulse Infinity output on HE1000, HD800, Dhama, and many other headphones they brought in. Many interesting feedbacks we got.

And Michael, Robert all tested difference between Tube and solid state output of Vi Tube DAC too since we could output both at the same time. Switching input 1 (SS) 2 (Tube) on Pass XP300 gives you the instant A/B test. Again, we got Solid state lovers and we got tube lovers.  :wink:

Larry,

Can you elaborate on the headphone output feedback you received between the Vi DAC and Pulse Infinity?  Did listeners detect any differences? What were they and their perceived magnitude.  I know it's subjective but we would love to hear what people had to say.  Most of us, I'm sure, have already read Michael Lavorgna's comments regarding SS vs Tube.  Tube sounds "rounder" probably because of the increase in second order harmonics that tubes bring to the table.

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #323 of 1,178
  Larry,

Can you elaborate on the headphone output feedback you received between the Vi DAC and Pulse Infinity?  Did listeners detect any differences? What were they and their perceived magnitude.  I know it's subjective but we would love to hear what people had to say.  Most of us, I'm sure, have already read Michael Lavorgna's comments regarding SS vs Tube.  Tube sounds "rounder" probably because of the increase in second order harmonics that tubes bring to the table.

Yes. You are right. 2nd harmonic will give us the impression of rounder. Or more vivid when you hear vocal. 
My design goal is not to bring tube sound too far but still stay in a neutral way. Although you could play what you like through the tubes you picked.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #324 of 1,178
Hi all,

I really like my GOV2, and got fantastic service when it needed to be fixed. I have read a lot of reports of troubles with repair tickets, and lh labs in general, but my experience has been very positive. I am in the market for a new headphone amp, and am just considering all my options. A combo dac + headphone amp all in one is attractive, such as the moon neo 430 HAD, or the Vi dac. For those who have the Vi Dac, and are using its built in headphone output, any thoughts on the quality? Or is it better to be used as a stand alone dac with a different brands amp separately? Also, I can't find pricing anywhere online. I am in Canada. Does anyone have an idea how much $ the Vi Dac is going for?

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #325 of 1,178
For those waiting for their units, a little info on my own personal place in queue for the SS version.. I hated to bug folks there at LHL, but I wanted to know what was going on... I put in a ticket to ask as that seemed the only way to know more details about when I might actually see the product..

In late December, there were 60 units ahead of me... Estimate at that time was delivery in late January... That time came and went and no shipping notice.. So I requested an update... As of Friday there are still 30 more units ahead of me and expected delivery is now mid March or later...

So looks like around one unit being shipped per day on average... FYI..

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #326 of 1,178
As a backer of the Geek Out and Pulse campaign's I empathize with everyone's waiting. I spent 20 months in line for other LH Labs units. I have the SS Vi in for review. I can tell you it is worth the wait.

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #327 of 1,178
For those waiting for their units, a little info on my own personal place in queue for the SS version.. I hated to bug folks there at LHL, but I wanted to know what was going on... I put in a ticket to ask as that seemed the only way to know more details about when I might actually see the product..

In late December, there were 60 units ahead of me... Estimate at that time was delivery in late January... That time came and went and no shipping notice.. So I requested an update... As of Friday there are still 30 more units ahead of me and expected delivery is now mid March or later...

So looks like around one unit being shipped per day on average... FYI..

Thank you for that update.

It is rather disturbing that I received an invoice for Vi DAC Tube shipping & handling in December, when I am #90 in line for that unit according to LHL customer service.

So if Vi DAC SS is at #30 or so shipped, and it will take until mid March or later to get to #60, how long will it take to get to Vi DAC Tube #90?

The answer is no time soon, which is the same answer as to when I'll pay that S&H invoice.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #328 of 1,178
Now that a few other people have received their vi dac, does yours buzz (though speakers/headphones) when switching between songs with different sample rates?  That and the occasional volume going in the wrong direction when using the remote are the only bugs I've found

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #329 of 1,178
I upgraded the MCU firmware to 1.36 and I have not had any issues. I will roll via Roon and it plays randomly in radio mode from 16/44.1 to 24/192 to DSD with no issues.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #330 of 1,178
darn I may have to file a ticket and it might be a hardware not firmware issue :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back